silverado427

PA CO charged with carrying a gun in NJ

I'm still trying to figure out if George Orwell was anti cop with his pig references...

GOOD QUESTION!  But i can't ask Arnold the Pig, cause I ATE him after I shot him on my last Pig Hunt, lol!

In my opinion, there is a gulf of difference between Allan's case and this one.  Allan was basically ignorant and got caught in the shitty fly trap NJ is.  The CO otoh was almost certainly aware of the laws here and willfully diregarded NJ law because he felt he is "special".  Honestly, I feel bad for the guy because as a CO he is under real and constant threat from inmates or their homies.  He should be able to carry legally. 

I doubt it, he probably thought he was covered under LEOSA. 

SO they dropped the charges 'cause he has a permit to carry in pa. since most of us have permits to carry in utah, florida, and 30-some other states, that means that they'll drop the charges in those circumstances for us too, right?

Is there an official statement saying this?

Is there an official statement saying this?

not necessarily official....but no matter how they twist what they told the paper.....

TRENTON, N.J. –  A prosecutor in New Jersey has dropped a gun charge against a Pennsylvania corrections officer who was accused after a car accident of carrying his weapon without a state permit.

A spokesman for Gloucester County prosecutors said Monday that the charge was inappropriate because Raymond Hughes was the victim of a drunken driving accident when police in Glassboro learned he had the gun in his car.

Hughes had a permit to carry in Pennsylvania, but the permit wasn't recognized by New Jersey's strict gun laws. Hughes faced a minimum of 3 ½ years in prison if he was found guilty of the felony.

that should also apply to those of us with permits.......

While I welcome the attention to NJ's absurd firearms laws, I think the CO knew he was breaking the law here.  This is what's going to happen, NJ will ease up on persons employed and licensed by the state they work and live in so this does not get as much media attention.  If you ask me a CO should have a carry license because  when they leave work, work does not leave them.

Called it.

If a NJ authority would have actually said they dropped the charges because he had a PA permit, then we would have standing for a challenge. They worded that statement like that on propose. It's a bullshit statement.

YES, this is true...but it still gives us something. so i decide to take mom to dennys otw home from the range. 'cause you know? she's diabetic, and needs to get a bit of food. but.....we get hit. leo notices our guns in the car, packed properly. how can they hold us, state residents responsible if we're the victim of a careless/reckless/drunk driver, if they're not gonna hold an out of state resident responsible?

First off..hes not a cop. Hes a corrections officer. He can't arrest anyone. I think they should let him off but he knew better than most of us.

What do you mean by " knew better than most of us?"

Bud, I'm not attacking you . I need some clarification

The fact that charges were dropped will be used in legal agurement from now on. Unless you're lawyer is from Craigslist

No it won't. They will just turn around and say that he was a corrections officer/LEO, etc., case closed. The only people that will know what he really was are the few here that followed the case.

No it won't. They will just turn around and say that he was a corrections officer/LEO, etc., case closed. The only people that will know what he really was are the few here that followed the case.

that will open them back up to the absurdity of the laws

The fact that charges were dropped will be used in legal agurement from now on. Unless you're lawyer is from Craigslist

Can they ? I thought much of this type (dropping charges) cannot be used in other arguments infront of judge, unless a case law is established matching similar circumstances.

Prosecutors make deals all the time. A different plaintiff can't complain that he didn't get same deal as the previous guy.

First off..hes not a cop. Hes a corrections officer. He can't arrest anyone. I think they should let him off but he knew better than most of us.

what does it matter if he can arrest someone or not? Animal cruelty investigators can arrest people in NJ but are not allowed to carry a gun.

what does it matter if he can arrest someone or not? Animal cruelty investigators can arrest people in NJ but are not allowed to carry a gun.

It would have mattered for LEOSA protection, arresting powers is a qualifier for that.

It would have mattered for LEOSA protection, arresting powers is a qualifier for that.

oh i see. This state is so backwards. If appointed as an ACI by a town I can arrest people and serve warrants yet I would not be allowed to carry a gun.

Some of the opinions of the clowns on here illustrates just why this state is so Fugged Up.  Public Servants are not above the law.  I get that.  However, we are talking about unjust and unconstitutional laws.  And, OK, so this idiot CO broke the law.  The truth is that it should not be a felony with jail time, the loss of firearms for life, etc..  Save the felonies for the thugs that are really bad and/or dangerous.  I am not  saying it is OK to be ignorant of the law, but the  thing is that people in other more free places don't realizes, can't imagine the tyranny that exists in the People's Republic and the hate on for freedom-loving Americans.  For example, when I told my out-of-state friend about process to get a FID card and then a pistol permit, and on and on, he could not believe it.  I think he thought I was exaggerating.  He still doesn't believe  me.  Could it be that there are gun crimes in other states but it is more of a slap on the wrist that seven years hard time and most likely thousands of dollars?  Maybe he was acting lawful if he had been in his home state.  But, it blows my mind the thoughts of some.    Again, for anyone in the firearms community to wish something bad on someone else just because that person has been following the laws or thinks so highly of his sorry, NJ ASs.... And, I bet many who said he should get what he deserves, I bet they have not followed all of the laws to the letter, themselves.  Did you ever stop somewhere on the way to the range, etc.?  Did you ever throw a box of shotgun shells on your passenger seat?   All I can say is when you have a 22 shell caught in your boot tread or something similar, or if you stop to get gas or a sandwich on the way to the range, remove the speck from your own eyes, first.  Because you are just as "unlawful".  Here is an example. I might know someone that may have admitted that he didn't take his firearms out of his car when returning from the range because there had been a traffic accident and all the traffic was being diverted and passing in front of his residence.  He didn't want his property to be so visible to the stop and go traffic what he was carrying out of his vehicle.  So, he waited until later.  But, later he forgot about his guns in his trunk and jumped in his car and headed off to the supermarket.  Should he get what he deserves when he gets caught while putting his groceries in his trunk?  Again, let me restate my point.  Even the gun owners, the ones who should no better, well, they should be more tolerant of their otherwise, lawful companions.   Apparently there are some in this state who are to  many of them in this state are just pathetic babies.  Their attitude is part of the reason I want to pack my bags.   If you want to be a baby about it think about the privileged in this state including LEOs that get to carry because of their political connections and stop worrying about the idiot corrections officer. 

I fully understand where you are coming from. To a certain extent I agree. Problem is that out of state residents seem to gain the most media attention and get pardoned by Christie.

NJ residents do the time with little to no media attention where criminals who use a gun to rob a liquor store get the gun charge thrown out and get 1 year for the robbery while the

guy who follows all the laws but deviates his ride back from the range to drop off his uncle, faces a mandatory 5 years.

Why should we be happy when a PA resident gets a pardon for a loaded handgun in a handbag and a Jersey resident has his gun, unloaded and properly stored in his trunk for transport

faces 5 years in prison for merely driving a few miles off course to drop off his uncle??? As PRNJ residents, we want equal treatment! Is that too much to ask?

Equal treatment...  NJ residents are the idiots that put the idiots in power that passed these idiotic laws.  Seems like we should be the first ones to get crushed by them.  Actually the politicians that voted them into existence, they should be held to the highest standard.   Why should someone from free America be punished for our liberal, progressive, statist BS?