This might be useful for anyone wanting to get a FL CCW, You CAN use your USPSA/IDPA classification as proof of firearms proficiency for a Florida concealed carry permit

I saw this at http://www.waltherforums.com/

The specific post says:

Did you know USPSA/IDPA classification qualifies you for a FL CCP?
You CAN use your USPSA/IDPA classification as proof of firearms proficiency for a Florida concealed carry permit.

The language to satisfy the training requirement reads as follows, "documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;"

I was down in FL at the beginning of this month and took the opportunity to apply in person. I supplied them with my most recent USPSA card with a classification and a printout of my classification history from the USPSA website. I got my permit in the mail today.

All I can say is that it works, so anybody looking to get a FL permit can save their money on a class and put that $ towards some ammo or gear. To be fair, the people in the office were a little thrown off, and when I asked how many people use this option they said they see 3 or 4 a year in that office.

it can be found here:  http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/gun-matches-shooting-competitions/38088-did-you-know-uspsa-idpa-classification-qualifies-you-fl-ccp.html

Does military work if you can show your scores.

Not sure about military...  but NRA, Hunters Ed, USPSA and IDPA all worked.

Plenty of folks took NRA classes, but many did not however have shot USPSA or IDPA matches.  So they all help.

I wonder if my NRA Pro Marksman cert from 1974 would work?  

Call and ask, they take as low as first steps or passing a hunter education course. 

What I find with Florida is that they verify the NRA instructor online, probably like a site like https://www.nrainstructors.org/InstructorAdmin/verify.aspx all you need is the instructor ID and last name to check.

Problem is that if the instructor retires or does not renew, the training becomes invalid according to Florida as the trainer info can no longer be verified.

Does military work if you can show your scores.

You don't have to show any scores. Just takes a DD214 that says Honorable and qualified with any firearm at any level and your GTG for FL CCW training part

My NRA Basic Pistol was enough. This is optional but you can go to one of their regional centers to apply (good excuse for a vacation).  Their folks are really nice and make it real easy.  They take fingerprints and photos. Like a different planet compared to NJ.

• Like 1

So if I walk into a place that supplies CCW's in FL with my NJ hunting license they'll help me do everything I need to apply for FL CCW? 

Pretty much. I walked in with my DD-214. The forms are all on computer. The sit you down, you fill it out and they take your prints. Six weeks later I had my CFL.

Here's the links to all the information.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License

• Like 1

So if I walk into a place that supplies CCW's in FL with my NJ hunting license they'll help me do everything I need to apply for FL CCW?

Especially a sherif station. That's where I went. Still have to mail package in tho, but they provided the forms etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The also have set up regional offices if you are there and handle the whole deal (assuming you have the proof of training and Identity). Photos and prints are done onsite. 

Link is http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License

How do I apply for a license?

Applications and Application Instructions are available online ( Concealed Weapon or Firearm License or  Private Investigation, Recovery and Security Licenses) or by contacting any of our  regional offices. The Application Instructions provide detailed information about the process; however, if you need additional assistance, please call our Public Inquiry Section at (850) 245-5691 or use our web form to ask your question.