aambulo

Where can I keep my firearms?

I'm applying for my FiD in north jersey. I've been a resident of NJ for almost all of my life. However after graduating college, I got a job in philly so I decided to move in south jersey. (In retrospect I should've just moved to PA and I wouldn't have to suffer through this whole process---but it is what it is...). Since I've been moving between apartment residences in SNJ, I decided to keep my old address for my parents house in NNJ on my drivers license to save the trouble of going to the DMV so frequently. So my question is, my FiD application will have an address for a residence in NNJ which will match my DL---Can I keep my firearm in my apartment in SNJ? Or, is there anything in the statute(s) that I MUST keep my firearms in the address I listed when applying for my FiD?

The driver's license thing is another made up BS thing that is not even in the law.  Don't know why so many businesses make this a requirement, assume they just want to have a photo ID that is state issued.  You do not even need to have a driver's licenses.  Many people that live in cities don't have driver's licenses.  You legally could have your FID with one address and your driver's license with a different one if you had two legal residences.  If you go to the actual law you will not find anything in it about a driver's license.  That said, you are probably better off having the same on each otherwise you will either be denied in many stores as a business can require whatever they want.  But as far as storing at your multiple legal residences that is not an issue.  The only issue to be aware of is the hollow point law.  There is a problem with that law because it does not list transporting hollow point ammo from one residence to another.  So, if you want to take it from one to another you had better stop at a range first to cover your rear.

Thanks Krdshrk...I thought this was the case. So I guess if I had changed my license, I would have probably needed to get my FiD within that municipality.

I was only concerned because I have been doing a lot of research and I've read of some people's experiences where they had a difference in the addresses listed on the license and FiD (because they were moving, etc), respectively and the dealer would not allow the sale. Sounds like for now my best bet is to keep my address on my license to NNJ to match my FiD

The driver's license thing is another made up BS thing that is not even in the law.  Don't know why so many businesses make this a requirement, assume they just want to have a photo ID that is state issued.  You do not even need to have a driver's licenses.  Many people that live in cities don't have driver's licenses.  You legally could have your FID with one address and your driver's license with a different one if you had two legal residences.  If you go to the actual law you will not find anything in it about a driver's license.  That said, you are probably better off having the same on each otherwise you will either be denied in many stores as a business can require whatever they want.  But as far as storing at your multiple legal residences that is not an issue.  The only issue to be aware of is the hollow point law.  There is a problem with that law because it does not list transporting hollow point ammo from one residence to another.  So, if you want to take it from one to another you had better stop at a range first to cover your rear.

This.

The unwritten rule certainly has caught on.

I find it strange also -- a self-imposed regulation.

:yes:

Having parents at your "former" address eliminates the concern of changing the addresses on your documents. If you were actually "moving", you would need to change both DL and FPID. I say DL because most people use it as the Government issued Photo ID. An ID only or passport will also work. Keep in mind that a DL is not current after 7 days, and a FPID is not valid after 30 days from "moving". The NJSP Proposed Rules change regarding this has been passed.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Having parents at your "former" address eliminates the concern of changing the addresses on your documents. If you were actually "moving", you would need to change both DL and FPID. I say DL because most people use it as the Government issued Photo ID. An ID only or passport will also work. Keep in mind that a DL is not current after 7 days, and a FPID is not valid after 30 days from "moving". The NJSP Proposed Rules change regarding this has been passed.

So I'm back and forth at that address quite frequently---about once or twice a month for a few days or more to visit but also can work remotely from that location (which I have done plenty of times before). Is that enough to justify leaving my address on my DL as is since it is more permanent? I mean theoretically I don't have to have an apartment in SNJ, but practically speaking, I'd rather not make the drive to philly or work remotely 100% of the time...When I first started, I knew I wouldn't be buying a property down here and would have the potential to move to multiple addresses, it just seemed silly and inconvenient to me to have to keep going to the DMV just to process the address change and apply for a new license

I am in between (2) addresses, as well.  I stay in So Jersey usually (2) nights per week.  Do I need to show a lease in order to bring a firearm there?  Since my grandmother passed away, I have been using the house instead of driving home during the week. (my commute is 2hrs, 1way)

Well, NJ MVC considers these as valid points of ID:

Bank statement or record

ATM card with preprinted name and applicant’s signature.

Current health insurance card, prescription card OR Employee ID card with printed pay stub

Sooo..... basically if you have a bank statement or pay stub or something with your address on it.... you SHOULD be ok....

Where is it written that the guns must stay at your residence?

Handguns in the People's Republic of New Jermany may only legally be possessed where allowed by exemptions which include your residence, your "owned" place of business and a gun range with direct transport from one to the other with no "unreasonable" deviations.  So where else do you want to store them?  The only other option is there are a couple of ranges that have storage facilities.

Handguns in the People's Republic of New Jermany may only legally be possessed transported where allowed by exemptions which include your residence, your "owned" place of business and a gun range with direct transport from one to the other with no "unreasonable" deviations.  So where else do you want to store them?  The only other option is there are a couple of ranges that have storage facilities.

Handguns in the People's Republic of New Jermany may only legally be possessed transported where allowed by exemptions which include your residence, your "owned" place of business and a gun range with direct transport from one to the other with no "unreasonable" deviations.  So where else do you want to store them?  The only other option is there are a couple of ranges that have storage facilities.

Seems to be a distinction without a difference, unless I am missing something.  If you can't transport something to other than those places then you cannot possess them there either.  Or are you trying to say something else?

How is one going to be charged and what charge would apply for the possession without proving illegal transportation, ie DUI. If you make it home, you're safe.

Still don't follow what you are saying. Where else can you legally possess a handgun in NJ without a rare carry permit? Sure you can possess it anywhere if not caught. Just like murder is only a problem if they catch you. :)

The OP can possess a handgun at either home, or even a friend's house.The law only restricts transportation.

One can get intoxicated at a bar, and at home. He just can't drive from one to the other.

The OP can possess a handgun at either home, or even a friend's house.The law only restricts transportation.

One can get intoxicated at a bar, and at home. He just can't drive from one to the other.

How are you going to get the gun from your home to the friend's home - ah that is a violation.  Not even sure you can have it at a friends' as that is not one of the specific exemptions.  You can probably have it on a boat if you have a dock at your house and at the end of the most direct path you float to your business that you own, a range or the waterway takes you into another state to a place you are legally allowed to have the gun.  I imagine you could also have it on a boat if you head out from your dock on the ocean out into international waters.  Perhaps another few strange allowances exist as well :(

So I'm in a similar position as the OP: looking to have a handgun at a residence secondary to the address which is on my DL/FPID. Will I need to carry any paperwork proving my secondary residence? 

^Didn't know any of this.
I have a room at my parents' house that i moved out of almost two years ago. Can i legally bring a firearm with me whenever i stay there? i spend TONS of time there because my mother helps with the baby; i sleep there on average probably 2+ nights a week with my daughter and fiance. 
If so, i'll be bringing my 1911 with me; i feel much safer having it on me. My DL has my home up in Woodbridge on it as does my FID, but i still get mail to the house in East Brunswick on occasion.

2C:39-6. Exemptions 2C:39-6. a. Provided a person complies with the requirements of subsection j. of this section, N.J.S. 2C:39-5 does not apply to:

(storage)

e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S. 2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm,

(transport)

or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

There are NO exceptions for keeping guns anywhere but a place that is considered above.

Section f then goes into all of the transport exemptions.