danw77

Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory

Anyone have any experience with this yet? I held one at my LGS the other day and really liked it. I have about a week until my OGAM is up, and I'm thinking about picking this up. What are your thoughts on this compared to the Browning Buckmark and/or Ruger Mark series? I don't own any of them yet and am trying to decide which route to go.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category1_750001_750051_804153_-1_757752_757751

108490_01_lg.jpg

Heh, interesting.  Did not even see it.

Looks like evolution of the Smith 22a, which was a good gun, most of all, very easy to clean.  There were issues with receivers/slides on them, and I had to return mine for an issue developing in the barrel.

Again, because it is a smith, should be quite a bit cheaper than the Buckmark.

Rugers are great guns, but pain in the ass to take apart.

Seems 22 Plinkster likes it (I know, its the internet, but for 22's, i would listen to his review more than some of the others).  Sounds like it has a small grip, but that could probably be remedied by one of the plethora of grip sleeves (or, if you like it as-is, great).  Seems easy to break down and clean comparatively.  His review below.  No real life experience with it for myself though.  

Here is the rimfire central discussion....   http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603749

And the S&W forum discussion..... http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/458559-new-sw22-victory-22lr-target-pistol.html

I have a buckmark that I love, but this gun has me very curious. 

Thanks for the input. I had seen 22plinkster's review. It seems like Smith sent him the gun to evaluate early on. Are they a sponsor of his? I was wondering if his review might have been influenced by that. Any chance he was more inclined to give a positive review for any reasons? His review is really the only decent one on YouTube at the moment.

I liked it, but not too fond of the "excess" polymer on it.  And, I know it's a target model and feels ergonomic and good in the hands, but it didn't feel balanced the right way for me.  The barrel is quite heavy.   Still, I think it is a nice looking firearm.  If you already have a Buckmark or Mark III and/or 22/45 I would not consider switching to it, unless the trigger is really good in the Victory.  For a stainless gun, though, it comes in at a good price.  Although it might be easier to shoot than the Ruger, I think a Ruger 22/45 Lite would be more versatile, unless you were looking for a budget "target" model.  Or, if you could not take-down and clean the Ruger.

• Like 1

I shot it the other day at S&W day at Heritage Guild in Easton. Long story short, I wanted to like it and I did!

At 7 yards everything I shot was in the 10 ring or touching it. Almost no recoil and the controls were very reminiscent of a 1911. Didn't have to search for the slide stop or magazine release.

Only caveat, one stovepipe out of about 50 rounds but I chalked that up to a new model in the rental inventory probably getting a LOT of use and not enough cleaning.

So what do you guys think... If you could only have one .22 pistol and had to choose between a Mark III, Buckmark, or the new Victory, which would you get and why? Or would you get something else (eg. SR22, M&P22, etc.)?

So what do you guys think... If you could only have one .22 pistol and had to choose between a Mark III, Buckmark, or the new Victory, which would you get and why? Or would you get something else (eg. SR22, M&P22, etc.)?

Having never shot the Smith, I would vote for the Ruger. They're well made and extremely accurate. Don't be intimidated by people saying it's complicated. It's not that difficult to takedown and clean. After the first few times it's easy as pie.

I wound up buying the Victory. The SR22 just felt too small. I liked the Mark III, but wasn't a fan of the 22/45. I also liked the Buckmark, but so did my wife and that's what she decided to buy. The Victory just felt the best in my hand. I was hoping to bring it home tonight, but NICS was too backed up so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Can't wait to get it to the range.

• Like 1

4" S&W 617

:triniti:

Finally got my P2P, so I'll be picking up my SW 22 Victory today! 

Let me know how you like it. I've got about 500 rounds through mine. Not a single problem on Federal bulk ammo. Now I'm just waiting for some aftermarket grips and I'll be all set.

Let me know how you like it. I've got about 500 rounds through mine. Not a single problem on Federal bulk ammo. Now I'm just waiting for some aftermarket grips and I'll be all set.

Sadly, I've only had time to put a couple of magazines through it so far. Performed perfectly, but I can't really say I have much of an opinion on it yet.

We have one, never had a single issue with it yet. I have a Buckmark which has had thousands of rounds through it, practically never an issue with it. The S&W is 1/2 the price of the Buckmark. Easy to take apart and clean. Was tempted to get a second one and put an optic on it. They are good guns.

• Like 1

Love it. Decided to trick it out and keep it for myself. How nice is it? My Ruger is going up for sale. When the custom grips come out it will be perfect. Runs every ammo I could find hanging around without a hitch. Super easy to clean.

post-4275-0-26257000-1465726408_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

What are your thoughts on the SR22?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

My wife also has an SR22. Fantastic little gun. We did have an issue after about a year where casings weren't ejecting. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel. It's been fine ever since. I still really enjoy shooting it.

What are your thoughts on the SR22?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

My wife also has an SR22. Fantastic little gun. We did have an issue after about a year in where casings weren't ejecting. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel. It's been fine ever since. I still really enjoy shooting it.