gunnarsport

.45 ACP question

if you're doing an A/B comparison given the same ammo, i'd say whatever has the most weight/mass.

I guess most striker fired guns are plastic, i'd go with whatever gun is the heaviest and longest barrel.

edit:

additionally - you'll have far greatest success finding a softer shooting 45 by concentrating on the ammo itself. You can greatly reduce recoil by hand tailoring ammo to your needs ( ie: reloading )

• Like 1

I just picked up a Stoeger Cougar 8045 two weeks ago and had it out to the range for its maiden flight this Sunday.

I was pleasantly surprised as hell how light the felt recoil was, even with my 200grRNFP over 5.2gr Titegroup (my carbine loadout)

I suspect the rotating barrel system has a lot to do with that, besides the mass (steel, not polymer frame) of the pistol.

In a striker-fired platform take a look at the Ruger SR45.  For whatever reason it just always felt soft to me.  Dull, but soft.

I agree, I have an SR45 and it shoots softer than some of the 9 M pistols.

I just picked up a Stoeger Cougar 8045 two weeks ago and had it out to the range for its maiden flight this Sunday.

I was pleasantly surprised as hell how light the felt recoil was, even with my 200grRNFP over 5.2gr Titegroup (my carbine loadout)

I suspect the rotating barrel system has a lot to do with that, besides the mass (steel, not polymer frame) of the pistol.

^^^^^^^^

This

Beretta PX4 is essentially the same gun. Full size or Compact both use the rotating barrel system (Sub-Compact does not).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm with the Cougar people, the softest .45 I've ever shot. I dunno if that translates to the PX4 with the same action but lighter frame, but the rotating barrel action seems to do really well with the big pushy rounds making for a very fun shooting .45.  Beyond that I'd say a well sorted 1911 or Sig220.

In a striker-fired platform take a look at the Ruger SR45.  For whatever reason it just always felt soft to me.  Dull, but soft.

+1

The SR45 is very soft shooting. I use mine for bowling pin matches and find getting back on target quickly is very easy with this pistol. It has a very low recoil impulse.

nice to see the cougar getting some love here. I've always said its one of the best guns for your money. For those unaware designed and built by Beretta untill 2004 then handed off to their subsidiary Stoeger in Turkey using the same machinery and braintrust, then marketed at several hundred dollars less! Its also worth mentioning its on the smaller side with a 3 5/8" brl. And like its big cousin the 92 a D spring option is available but can be hard to find.

The problem with the Cougar is that it is only like $50-$80 cheaper then the PX4 that replaced it. 

yes, I see that. they must be catching on :)  there was recently a cache of them for sale at $299, I told a few guys who were happy to jump on them but all gone now.

yes, I see that. they must be catching on :)  there was recently a cache of them for sale at $299, I told a few guys who were happy to jump on them but all gone now.

Sure am glad I got mine!

It's going to SJSC with me tomorrow for its second range session.

Non-virgins are so much more fun than their Elizabethan counterparts! :)

Softest shooting?

In that case, lightly load reloads.... or heavy bullet, low powder.

One of my favorite 45 type loads is 230 grain bullet in a 45 GAP for the Springfield XD subcompact.... gentle giant.

In 45 ACP, 230 grain in HK 45 is quite manageable, as well as pretty much any 1911.

Smith Wesson m&p 45 was pretty nice, a little snappy.  FNX 45 as well. 

So short note... if you can reload...ammo makes the most difference, then the type of gun.