SmittyMHS

Barrel break in

Whats everyones take on this? I've read pros and cons as to whether its needed as one manufacturer says to fire once, clean the barrel. fire again...yada yada. Till your threw 100 rounds. Another says maybe 20 rounds and clean. Another says clean the barrel before you ever shoot it, (which is what I'd do anyway) then enjoy!

I have two ARs I haven't fired yet and don't want to waste all my range time doing maintenance. 

I have never ever cleaned a new gun, rarely ever clean any of my guns, and yet they still function pretty much 100% and I've had no issues.

Foolish! Always clean a new gun.  Many firearms are shipped with preservatives on the parts.

It's not like it's cosmoline but they are shipped with oil preservatives.

Get rid of that crap.

• Like 1

The first AR I bought was used with original barrel. For the 2 I've built, I followed the barrel manufacturer's specifications which was 5 rounds (copper jacketed), full cleab, and repeat to a total of 60 rounds.

Who still recommends that? I want to avoid  buying from them. They are either not selling you a finished barrel or would like to sell you another one sooner. 

Clean it your new barrel to remove the packaging and shipping gunk, and shoot it.

For those who never seen McMillan's opinion on the subject, I think he has always made a very clear point about it: http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

• Like 2

I think AR barrel manufacturers recommend a complicated "break in" routine because people expect that for "precision" barrels. It adds false credibility to the high prices and accuracy claims made by the manufacturer whether it is necessary or not. It makes the purchaser feel better about the $$ they just dropped.

"I had to follow the break in instructions. It must be a super high quality barrel and worth the extra money!"

• Like 1

Who still recommends that? I want to avoid  buying from them. They are either not selling you a finished barrel or would like to sell you another one sooner. 

Clean it your new barrel to remove the packaging and shipping gunk, and shoot it.

For those who never seen McMillan's opinion on the subject, I think he has always made a very clear point about it: http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

I read the same article. Its more then 15 years old so I thought I'd ask here if anything has changed

If anything new barrels should be "better" made, and require less break in.

I could kinda sorta maybe buy the notion on the specialized benchrest rifles that need some sort of extra care for that list tinny bit of accuracy, but those also tend to be barrels that are worn out in 1000 rd or so and then why would anyone waste 10% of it on break in or why isn't that procedure done by the manufacturer?

I buy  the notion of break in on an engine with hundreds of parts that kinda need to find their groove but even there with modern precision machining it is getting questionable. On a rifle barrel with zero moving parts?  I don't want to buy that barrel.

What magic happens in the first 60 rounds that won't happen in the next 5000?   Piston rings will always ride in the same engine cylinder.  It makes sense that they will wear to exactly fit the cylinder walls and there should be a break in period for an engine.  But each bullet travels down the barrel one time.  A bullet doesn't need a break in.   The barrel will receive the same wear from 50 ten-shot groups as it will from just shooting 500 rounds.  If there is abrasive material in the barrel, the barrel should be cleaned but that's not anything special to a break in period.

Shane chime in please -

If you have a chrome lined barrel don't bother breaking it in because nothing is going to change.

If you have a moly or SS barrel there are minor broaching or cutting marks that will accumulate copper and will progressively make cleaning more difficult if not broken in.

I buy hand lapped barrels so the machine marks are at a minimum.  I only break-in for about 20 rounds and the barrels clean easy and are accurate.

Just my $.02

• Like 1

I agree on CL. I also only really use custom barrels and have never had one really give me trouble yet. I actually tend to shoot a bunch of cheap rounds out of new barrels to burnish the barrel. I am admittedly a bad cleaner. So by the time I actually do, Im usually well past the point to notice a difference in fouling post break in.

I follow Bartleins outline too.

Thing is, when I'm breaking in, per se, I'm really just checking to make sure I didn't get a poorly machined barrel.  Assuming that there are no excessive fouling issues or fliers in my groups, I'm done after the second 5 shot group.

on a side note, the barrel bore definitely breaks in by just shooting it.  Any machined metal part does.  I would say, by observation, it seems to take me between 50 to 100 shots to reach peak accuracy.

I purchased a larue PredatAR7.62, and the manual said the same old 1 shot clean...etc... but it also said that was there procedure because customers asked for a break in procedure.

I also have a couple of Armalite 7.62s that had the old 1 shot clean etc. in the manual. I actually called Armalite for some help with a cycling issue and the guy actually asked me if I was breaking in the barrel the proper way. So they seem serious about it....I have no clue but have been told this is important on stainless barrels only. Again, I really don't know, and feel most of my guns will always outshoot me even if the barrels were not broken in properly.