Sleeper

Irish Whiskey

I have been a scotch drinker for many years.  I like most single malts but my standard is Macallan. 12, 18, 21...doesn't matter love them all.

A friend recently served me Jameson and I liked it.  I have ordered it on the rocks at bars and it's good.  Since I don't know anything about Irish whiskey

I was wondering if there is any other brands or more premium brands I should try.  What is the top shelf Irish whiskey?  Or is Jameson as good as it gets?

Greg

• Like 1

Why limit your whiskey to one wee country? 

Jamesons is a lighter whiskey.  You may enjoy rye whiskey.  Bulliet Rye is nice.  Dickel Rye is affordable and nice as well.

I also enjoy Elmer T. Lee Bourbon.  Little sweeter, hint of caramel with a slight fruit undertone.  More of a medium body.  Heavier than the ryes.

If you get a chance try Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.  Can't even compare it to regular Jack Daniel's.  Entirely different creature.

Sláinte!

If you have not tried it yet, then ask your favorite bartender to give you a glass, (neat) of Midleton very rare Irish whiskey.  
It is a triple-distilled, blended whiskey produced by John Jameson & Son and the distillery is in County Cork.

For some strange reason they put dates (years) on the bottles, even though it is a blended whiskey....  go figure!  My bottle is from 2010.
I find it to be much smoother than either Jameson's or Black Bush.  Here are a couple of links to give you a better idea about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midleton_Very_Rare

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/5792/midleton-very-rare-bot2014

AVB-AMG

Most whiskey is blended, even aged ones tend to be a combination of various barrels and even various years, the age of most whiskey bottles is the age of the youngest whiskey in the blend.

This is true even of single malt, all the single malt name guarantees is that that barley was the base and it all comes from the same distillery , but odds are it came from a blend of multiple years. This is why they tend to be consistent from year to year, unlike wine's which are labeled with the year and vary greatly from year to year. The taste wizards spend a lot of time testing and blending various batches to always sell a consistent flavor.

I grew up being told that Bushmills was Protestant whiskey and not to be touched.  Jamesons is a fine Irish Catholic whiskey which is to be cherished.  Until I tried Bushmills...I wanted to hate it....but its a damn fine whiskey.  My Father and Grandfather would turn over in their graves if they read this!  lol.  I used to buy a bottle of 18 year old Jamesons ($100) every Christmas but drank it every bit as fast as the $36 bottle of 12 year old so i stopped.  Still havent figured out how to sip whiskey I guess.  lol