EWC88

Job recruiters?

Was wondering if anyone has experienced with job recruiters? I'm a still a fresh relatively new graduate who is looking for some help with finding some jobs and thought a recruiter might be a good start. I have done the indeed/monster stuff and coming up with iffy luck.

If anyone has any opinions on recruiters or suggestions please list!

What field are you working in?  For financial services, they are invaluable since they usually have the inside track on job postings and, more importantly, the job requirements and compensation.  Most of the recruiters are OK, a few are great and a few are total scum.

One thing to remember, the recruiter is really working for the company, not you.  They want to stay on the company's good side so that they keep them as a preferred recruiter.  They are after volume, so they want to place you quickly and move on (or find someone else to place).

Have two bachelor degrees in business management and human resource management. Have experience in management with previous jobs. I am possibly looking at going back to college to get my finance degree as it seems like jobs are easier to find in that field, should of just did 3 degrees from the get go...

You might consider getting a job at Aerotek. Not from Aerotek, but with Aerotek. I say that because of the HR degree. If you have any interest in being in the headhunting business yourself, it might be a good entry level job. And they promote very fast. I've been working with them for over 20 years and they seem to move recruiters to management (or the unemployment line) within the first year. I don't know what it is like to work there, but I'm willing to guess it's pretty high-pressure, low respect. Maybe I am wrong and it is great. But they do promote very fast.

One thing to remember, the recruiter is really working for the company, not you.

This, 100%.

That said, I once was successful with a head hunter. I somehow guessed that he was a heli-skier and managed to turn the interview upside down to get him to be my advocate for the position. It's the craziest true job hunt story that worked, and it only panned out because I had specific niche experience they were looking for. That said, the guy was still sleazy.

I recommend you network instead of job hunt. The job will find you if you stay persistent.

• Like 1

Are you on Linkedin?  If not you should be.  Recruiters will find you if your skills are in demand.

Linkedin rules - I've gotten so many hits via Linkedin.

This, 100%.

That said, I once was successful with a head hunter. I somehow guessed that he was a heli-skier and managed to turn the interview upside down to get him to be my advocate for the position. It's the craziest true job hunt story that worked, and it only panned out because I had specific niche experience they were looking for. That said, the guy was still sleazy.

I recommend you network instead of job hunt. The job will find you if you stay persistent.

Networking 10000000x!  Most of my jobs have been through networking - friends and past co-workers have gotten me in the door with 2 of my 3 last jobs.

• Like 1

Have two bachelor degrees in business management and human resource management. Have experience in management with previous jobs. I am possibly looking at going back to college to get my finance degree as it seems like jobs are easier to find in that field, should of just did 3 degrees from the get go...

Honestly, you only needed the one degree and it's accounting.

Going to make a LinkedIn account today since I am free and off from work.

I will have to check out both companies mentioned above and see how that goes. I'm searching basically everywhere at this point from across the states to just east coast.

Accounting wasn't my thing in college and I am a firm believer that you have to enjoy what you do for work to be successful in it. Maybe it was the teaching methods on what got me to not enjoy it, I don't know. I know a couple accountants and they always tell me it is easy and it was probably the teaching. Accounting and finance is under consideration of going back to get, it's only a couple classes.

I'm tweeking my resume now and then will make a LinkedIn account.

Honestly, you only needed the one degree and it's accounting.

I'll respectfully disagree unless you want to be an accountant or auditor. The degrees to be had are STEM, you can have any job whether or not the degree is applicable.

Going to make a LinkedIn account today since I am free and off from work.

I will have to check out both companies mentioned above and see how that goes. I'm searching basically everywhere at this point from across the states to just east coast.

Accounting wasn't my thing in college and I am a firm believer that you have to enjoy what you do for work to be successful in it. Maybe it was the teaching methods on what got me to not enjoy it, I don't know. I know a couple accountants and they always tell me it is easy and it was probably the teaching. Accounting and finance is under consideration of going back to get, it's only a couple classes.

I'm tweeking my resume now and then will make a LinkedIn account.

'

Be patient the first is always the toughest. It'll work out in the end.

I got my current job through a recruiter.  They were contacting me all the time on LinkedIn, and eventually I got an offer "I couldn't refuse".

Recruiter works for company, and he is compensated based on how high he can sell you.  So it is in his interest to set up the right price.

If a recruiter asks for any $ from a job seeker - get away from him.

I'll respectfully disagree unless you want to be an accountant or auditor. The degrees to be had are STEM, you can have any job whether or not the degree is applicable.

Baloney, other than the letter "E." Almost nobody hangs up a shingle with an "S," "T," or "M." I haven't had a paycheck or worked for anyone in 20 years. What percentage of STMs say that? The best path to that through college education is professional licensure such as Engineer, MD, Arch, and CPA (Accountant). The latter being the easiest.

If you want to play the climb the corporate ladder thing, and leave your destiny to the whim of others, you will do best with degrees related to business or sales. But you have to be smart because they are not gold tickets across the board.

Baloney, other than the letter "E." Almost nobody hangs up a shingle with an "S," "T," or "M." I haven't had a paycheck or worked for anyone in 20 years. What percentage of STMs say that? The best path to that through college education is professional licensure such as Engineer, MD, Arch, and CPA (Accountant). The latter being the easiest.

If you want to play the climb the corporate ladder thing, and leave your destiny to the whim of others, you will do best with degrees related to business or sales. But you have to be smart because they are not gold tickets across the board.

Well you are utterly wrong in this case. I can't believe those bastards I received degrees from gave me shitty sheepskins instead of shingles.

I deleted the long post I wrote because I do not like feeding into these discussions. You obviously know all and have nothing to learn. I on the other hand need to learn not to feed trolls.

http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2015/05/12/30-best-paying-college-majors-2015?utm_source=PPCContentCampaign&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=ThinkAdvisor_Marketing_Campaign&gclid=CjwKEAiAmNW2BRDL4KqS3vmqgUESJABiiwDT7tmgf89eLcdZ-nYYes9ZiB5vX-9O3nFpTVS7afLTVBoCaaHw_wcB

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/high-paying-college-majors-1.aspx

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-majors-with-high-starting-salaries-2015-8

• Like 1

Well you are utterly wrong in this case. I can't believe those bastards I received degrees from gave me shitty sheepskins instead of shingles.

I deleted the long post I wrote because I do not like feeding into these discussions. You obviously know all and have nothing to learn. I on the other hand need to learn not to feed trolls.

http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2015/05/12/30-best-paying-college-majors-2015?utm_source=PPCContentCampaign&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=ThinkAdvisor_Marketing_Campaign&gclid=CjwKEAiAmNW2BRDL4KqS3vmqgUESJABiiwDT7tmgf89eLcdZ-nYYes9ZiB5vX-9O3nFpTVS7afLTVBoCaaHw_wcB

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/high-paying-college-majors-1.aspx

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-majors-with-high-starting-salaries-2015-8

As a follow up, I'm willing to bet that a good portion of STEM majors don't work in STEM fields, per se.  I've come across a shitload of quants in finance.  

As a follow up, I'm willing to bet that a good portion of STEM majors don't work in STEM fields, per se. I've come across a shitload of quants in finance.

They don't. My daughter wants to do what I do, finance, she's majoring in physics, minor in aerospace, at Cornell. Who wouldn't hire a rocket scientist even without a shingle.
  • Like 1

They don't. My daughter wants to do what I do, finance, she's majoring in physics, minor in aerospace, at Cornell. Who wouldn't hire a rocket scientist even without a shingle.

Go big red! I miss Ithaca. But it does get dreary during the winter.

Sorry that's off topic.

But you're 100% right. I've worked with astrophysicists on building models. Finance just hires the best and brightest. Regardless of major.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I was only referring to the options he gave. And I do agree with your sentiments.

• Like 1

Go big red! I miss Ithaca. But it does get dreary during the winter

Hey-me too! I coached their varsity rifle team, and taught their phys ed rifle classes while I was there. They actually had two indoor rifle ranges on campus then. Wonder if any of that remains...

Hey-me too! I coached their varsity rifle team, and taught their phys ed rifle classes while I was there. They actually had two indoor rifle ranges on campus then. Wonder if any of that remains...

I don't remember seeing anything about indoor rifle ranges on campus there. I definitely would've been on the lookout. I think it's Bartels hall is the phys ed building which is relatively new.

But a quick Google search found an old alumni newsletter that alluded to an indoor range in what seems like was Barton hall.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I don't remember seeing anything about indoor rifle ranges on campus there. I definitely would've been on the lookout.

The better range was in Barton Hall, next to the public safety offices. 12 point, 50 feet. The other, newer but not as nice, range was in the basement of Helen Newman. Also 50 feet, maybe 8 point. Both were still there in the mid-80s

I was only referring to the options he gave. And I do agree with your sentiments.

That's why I said respectfully--unlike others.  You're never completely sure of what someone is thinking when posting on the internet.  

EWC:  any nibbles yet? I just saw your post. FYI, I was a recruiter (agency, corp and then as a contract recruiter) for more years than I care to admit. I also served as an outplacement consultant, a career mgmt consultant at a "big pharma" onsite career center, a freelance writer doing employee comms for Fortune 500s, and now, I work as an executive resume writer. 

I'd be happy to critique your resume, LI profile and job search approach - and give you some free guidance over the phone - and, let me be clear, I'm NOT soliciting your biz. My clientele is about 75% mgr to exec-lvl in pharma/biotech/food & bev, so you're not even my target client. But I also feel that on occasion it's nice to be a "good egg" --- and in this case, why not help another shooter? We are a "community" after all, yes?! :girlsmile:

In general terms: Ditto what others said about networking. Despite the avalanche of job boards (careerbuilder, monster, etc.) and job board aggregators (like indeed) in recent years, NONE of that has really shifted the statistics much at all. Overwhelmingly, jobs are still being filled through networking! That's why LinkedIn is so powerful. It really just automates/speeds up the old-fashioned networking process. It's like networking on steroids. It is also (as someone else mentioned) heavily used by recruiters. There's a tool, LI Recruiter, and companies/recruiting agencies purchase subscriptions to it so they can search LI for candidates. Of course, it's important to have the right key words in there so you come up on their searches. AND... you want to make sure that you're not just sitting there either (passively) hoping a recruiter will find your profile ... assertiveness is definitely called for in a tough market such as this. 

If you're still stuck and want another perspective, feel free to PM me your email. I'll reply with my contact info and we'll set up a call. Nothing ventured, nothing gained... right? In the meantime, I'm sending abundant "good karma" in your direction!