lhrocker

Ordering complete AR kit from Palmetto

The parts are all legal if you don't have the lower already in your possession. You might be able to buy a jersey legal kit already. All you need to do is pin/weld a muzzle brake on and grind off the bayonet lug.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The parts are all legal if you don't have the lower already in your possession. You might be able to buy a jersey legal kit already. All you need to do is pin/weld a muzzle brake on and grind off the bayonet lug.

AND pin the stock!

you'll need to buy a muzzle brake/compensator and have that pinned on, shave off the bayonet lug, and either pin the stock or get a stock like the fixed carbine stock from magpul that doesn't telescope.  

nobody can really answer that question if you already have a lower since technically you'll have the parts to make an assault weapon.  but you can buy it and have it shipped to your house, and if you don't take forever for the compliance work to get done, who would know

After thinking about the build, I think I will go completed lower and completed upper. I will get a Magpul fixed carbine stock, but the completed lower comes with an adjustable stock. Can I just remove the adjustable stock when it arrives at the ffl?

Technically, if you have all the unassembled bits in your possession and some are "illegal" then you're technically in "constructive possession" of a non-compliant weapon. That being said, short of you be raided or inviting scrutiny during the time you have the "illegal" parts and when you make them "legal" doesn't cause most people concern.

• Like 1

Great, so I can buy it, ship it to my house and as long as I don't put it together before making the mods, there are no legal issues?

Actually it is illegal. It's called constructive intent. If you own all th parts to assemble an illegal rifle it is a crime.

If you are buying a complete upper have it shipped to an FFL to do the compliance work.

Technically, if you own one AR and start a second build by purchasing a non compliant upper, being in possession of the non compliant upper is 

illegal under constructive intent as you could put the lower from your legal rifle together with the new upper and build an assault rifle!

This stuff is silly and paranoia abounds. When the new upper arrives take it to a gunsmith immediately or do the compliance work yourself in a timely fashion.

What are the odds of your home being raided in such a short time span? Unless you are into some really bad stuff, I would say 0.0. 

Illogical fear can sometimes get the best of us!

What Johnny B. Goode said.

I understand the "fear"... we've all been there at one time.  I personally don't sweat it anymore.  If Seal Team Six decided to bust down my door the day I got in rifle parts that need nazi "compliancy" done to them, I've probably got far bigger problems than a bayonet lug and a flash hider installed still.

Technically, if you own one AR and start a second build by purchasing a non compliant upper, being in possession of the non compliant upper is 

illegal under constructive intent as you could put the lower from your legal rifle together with the new upper and build an assault rifle!

This stuff is silly and paranoia abounds. When the new upper arrives take it to a gunsmith immediately or do the compliance work yourself in a timely fashion.

What are the odds of your home being raided in such a short time span? Unless you are into some really bad stuff, I would say 0.0. 

Illogical fear can sometimes get the best of us!

I think pointing out facts and having illogical fear are two different things.  The OP simply asked if it were a crime and the answer is yes it is.  

I'm sure you could argue it in court and win but good luck. All you would need to do is make sure that your missing a single component for all your AR'S in order to make it function... For example remove all your BCG's, give them to a friend and now your missing a part to complete the rifle.if your missing certain parts they can't argue constructive intent if the sum of all the parts still doesn't make a function weapon.

The reason I find it so grey is because you can own an AR pistol upper if you have a lower for it? Makes no sense with the constructive intent when it's sitting next to rifle lowers in the same safe. Or better yet, "lose" the barrel nut because most of ours are permanently stuck on our compliant barrels.

Again, I'm not willing to be the test case here because only a judge will listen to your "it can't be assembled" argument.

So I ordered this complete upper from shooters warehouse:

http://www.shooterswarehouse.com/Upper-On-Sale-Core-15-Complete-AR-Upper-p/core13976.htm

and will order one of these lowers from Palmettos:

or   http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-moe-sl-complete-lower-black.html

I should have my muzzle break by the end of the week so I'll remove the flash hider and get the compliance work done on the upper when I receive it.  Looks like an easy "assembly" for a first timer.

Will hopefully have everything ready to go in a few weeks.

So I ordered this complete upper from shooters warehouse:

http://www.shooterswarehouse.com/Upper-On-Sale-Core-15-Complete-AR-Upper-p/core13976.htm

and will order one of these lowers from Palmettos:

or http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-moe-sl-complete-lower-black.html

I should have my muzzle break by the end of the week so I'll remove the flash hider and get the compliance work done on the upper when I receive it. Looks like an easy "assembly" for a first timer.

Will hopefully have everything ready to go in a few weeks.

Does lh stand for long hill?

Nope.  I just got my upper today and it looks really cool with good fit and finish.  I'm in no rush to build this, but I checked out some vids on getting a stripped lower and assembling from scratch.  That may be the way to go.  I may go to RTSP and pick up a lower from them.  I'm still waiting for my muzzle brake.

I picked up a couple of lowers from RTSP so I'm getting there.  I did put in an order for a completed lower from Palmetto and got an email from their compliance dept that completed lowers are only sold to LEO in NJ.  I guess you learn something new every day.