Purple Patrick

Lightweight AR barrels?

So I have this stripped upper laying around that is feeling very sad and lonely that it hasn't been built yet. I figured I'd oblige it since over recently made room in my safe. Post Sandy everyone and their grandma is making ar parts with some new companies offering really nice products and others making shit. What I'm looking for is a 14.5in lightweight barrel to go under an ALG EMR rail. I do not need the absolute lightest, I'm looking for a pretty even cost to weight ratio. The spikes barrel keeps coming up over and over again. Is that the one I should focus on or are there others I should look at? I'd prefer mid-length gas system and if a low profile gas block comes with it is a plus

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Which is???

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/ar-15-miculek-comp-prod5573.aspx

Is it long enough to make a 14.5" barrel legal?

2" long so my guess is yes, I see DMPS sells one of their 14.5 barrels with a pinned Miculek so that is a pretty solid hint.

To be clear, the Miculek Comp is VERY effective and very affordable, but don't mistake it for  quiet comp, as if such a thing existed.  Test after test, it scores in the top tier of comps for effectiveness, beating out things 3 times its price.

It also isn't small and light, which is why don't have one, but if you are making cost based compromises you can't have everything.  I'm also very fond of my Dynamic Resistance break which I use on my competition gun, which is $70 and fairly light but at 1.75" long you might want to check with its makers/sellers about its suitability for a 14.5" barrel.

When I was considering a 14.5" bbl for my M4gery, the only device that I considered effective for dealing with the fiery muzzle blast and humane to the ears of my fellow shooters was a linear comp.  I think the Kies or Levang would have been equally effective and there was no question of legality.  There are some neat looking linear comps from other makers too but I think some may be risky to the arbitrary interpretations we hear about in courts.   It seems, in NJ, that the cooler something looks, the more illegal it is

• Like 1

When I was considering a 14.5" bbl for my M4gery, the only device that I considered effective for dealing with the fiery muzzle blast and humane to the ears of my fellow shooters was a linear comp. I think the Kies or Levang would have been equally effective and there was no question of legality. There are some neat looking linear comps from other makers too but I think some may be risky to the arbitrary interpretations we hear about in courts. It seems, in NJ, that the cooler something looks, the more illegal it is

I have a levang on another 14.5. I'd like to do something different but in terms of cost/performance/legality stance I think it might be easier just to get another one

I have a levang on another 14.5. I'd like to do something different but in terms of cost/performance/legality stance I think it might be easier just to get another one

My main concern with any muzzle device is cleaning the crud from the crown.  A fouled or damaged crown will destroy accuracy.  Ultimately, I went with a 16" M4 bbl and attached a TP because it is so much easier to maintain.  Unfortunately, a TP is not an option with a 14.5" bbl and in the end, a 14.5" bbl with a perm attached device is essentially the same as a 16" bbl with a TP.

My main concern with any muzzle device is cleaning the crud from the crown. A fouled or damaged crown will destroy accuracy. Ultimately, I went with a 16" M4 bbl and attached a TP because it is so much easier to maintain. Unfortunately, a TP is not an option with a 14.5" bbl and in the end, a 14.5" bbl with a perm attached device is essentially the same as a 16" bbl with a TP.

I know it's about the same do go the 16 vs 14 with comp route but I save like 2 ounces and it looks more tacticool.

Joe bobs has the kies comp and the gas block I need so I'm going to go with thay