Sign in to follow this  
RubberBullets

Any advice on making a few .22lr rounds inert for decorative purposes?

So I've been doing custom leatherwork (firefighter accesories and custom dog collars) for the past few years and have had someone ask specifically for .22lr rounds to be incorporated into their dog's collar. After a little digging, ive found a few vendors actually do create decorations with inert .22. My guess is bullet pulling, dumping the powder out, setting off the primer, and finally reseating the bullet. Anyone ever do something like this before? Any special considerations to be mindful of that I am not taking into account? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm not completely sure but you may be able to destroy the primer by dumping a little oil in the empty casing. If you don't want a hammer mark on the brass. Please test first!  So I may be interested in some dog collars. can you post any pics of other ones you have done? Also post some prices or PM me please. I may be interested in 2 small dog collars (dachshund) and a friend of mine might be interested in one for his GSP

• Like 1

I'm not completely sure but you may be able to destroy the primer by dumping a little oil in the empty casing. If you don't want a hammer mark on the brass. Please test first! So I may be interested in some dog collars. can you post any pics of other ones you have done? Also post some prices or PM me please. I may be interested in 2 small dog collars (dachshund) and a friend of mine might be interested in one for his GSP

That would be ideal, however i'm hesitant of its effects over the course of say 10-12 years and if it could still pose a hazard. Id obviously prefer the look of an unstruck primer, but if there is still a chance of a primer ignition im not sure if id be comfortable taking the risk.

Here's a few samples of previous collars. Prices really vary depending on design, cost of hardware used, etc. My collar price range varies from $75-$200. You can find some more of my work on facebook at Ridgeway Leatherworks or @ridgewayleather on instagram.

780ce2da396ff3da57962d1e98820f9c.jpga95da73f96969fc8ce9f32d8071785de.jpg195e100e63dbeb34ef0a7dd1dba13cdf.jpg2c63b471501d929ec1a12921492bb4ce.jpg

I would be concerned about all that leas hanging around my dog's neck. Remember 22 rf is only plated not jacketed.

Im not entirely sure if it would be too big of an issue. While there is certainly lead in the round, there is no skin to lead contact (about 1/4" of leather between) or cause for particulates to become airborne, but I agree its a question worth pondering if im missing other means of absorption/contamination.

I use to sell various bullets for capping motorcycle nuts and bolts. The inventor of the brand I sold boiled them to render primers inert. He never did 22s because the lack of need but he did the major calibers. I'm guessing cause he would not divulge exact method, but I guess you boil water first after soaking them for a time in room temp water. Boiling them would release any powder from the shell. He did great work. Bullets look like brand new rounds polished nicely with primers intact. Its all n you if you want to experiment. I take no responsibility of injury or otherwise. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would consider hooking up with a machinist. I would have them machine a fake 22 case/bullet from brass and then powdercoat the bullet on yourself. Shake and bake gray powdercoat.

I cast bullets so I'm used to working with lead. I'm very paranoid about lead exposure.

Im not entirely sure if it would be too big of an issue. While there is certainly lead in the round, there is no skin to lead contact (about 1/4" of leather between) or cause for particulates to become airborne, but I agree its a question worth pondering if im missing other means of absorption/contamination.

I'm really not sure either. However I wouldn't wear just about any ornament with lead components. I wouldn't put one on my dog either. You say there's 1/4" inch of leather. Well leather is skin and lead can be absorbed into it.

As you said. May not be an issue. Not trying to ruin your idea but lacking any evidence saying it wouldn't hurt you, I would pass on the idea.

• Like 1

No further ideas about neutralizing a live round beyond what's been suggest, but would a plated bullet alleviate the lead concerns?

Probably not cost effective but there are some dummy rounds available that look like the real thing.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=22LR%20DUMMIES

• Like 1

This is actually an amazing alternative. Believe it or not, its cheaper than most hardware designed for leather decoration. Thank you for the link, and thank you @griz for bringing up the lead concerns. I wouldnt have thought to consider it otherwise. Going to do a little more research about these snap caps and see what theyre made of.