Sign in to follow this  
danw77

Do I need another Sig?

I just bought a Sig P320 and I'm very happy with it. The only problem is now I have a couple of extra permits and I don't know what to use them on. I had been thinking about getting a dedicated 22lr (Ruger SR22, Mark III, Browning Buckmark, or the new S&W Victory), but now I'm wondering if I should get a Sig P226 Classic (22lr) instead. I was hoping to be able to get a 22lr conversion for my P320 at some point, but that looks to be a couple years out from Sig, if at all.

My main interest in .22lr is cheaper plinking, focus on basics/training, and to have something that is new shooter/kid friendly. What would you do in my position? My only other handgun is a Ruger 9mm that I'm probably going to wind up selling. If money was no object, I'd pick up all of the above. Sadly, I'll probably only be able to afford 1, maybe 2, more handguns in the next year or so.

Get the 226 classic for plinking and you can get the 9mm conversion for it all for cheaper than a new 226 9mm

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks what I'm thinking. Just wondering if it will fit my needs, or if I would be better off with a dedicated 22lr. How new shooter/kid friendly is the P226 in 22lr? IE grip size, recoil, accuracy, etc?

Get the 226 classic for plinking and you can get the 9mm conversion for it all for cheaper than a new 226 9mm

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

+1   I had A 226 classic 22LR with 9mm conversion for years.  Just sold it recently when I decided to consolidate to all 40 s&w.

Except for my 9 MM Shield.  

Buying that way you will have 2 guns for just A bit over the price of A 226 9MM

The advantage to the sig classic series is the ability to change calibers, and buying the Classic with a conversion kit is cheaper than the other way around.  If you want to practice your trigger work with cheap ammo, it's a nice way to do it.  But, as other mentioned, the sig pistols feel "numb" to me in .22lr since they are fairly heavy. 

As for your original question - yes, you need another Sig.  Everyone does...

The Sig 226 does not lock the slide back on the last round. Neither does the Sig P250-22. That is a no go for me.

Take a look at the SW22 Victory. It feels fantastic and has really good sights on it.

It is on my short list.

The Sig 226 does not lock the slide back on the last round. Neither does the Sig P250-22. That is a no go for me.

There is an aftermarket magazine follower that will lock the 226 slide back. There is also a diy instructions floating on the net. I bought a used conversion 226 kit, and it had the modded followers, they work perfectly

Honestly if I had to do it over again, I would never had bought a 22lr. Not that I don't like the 22lr pistol, but would be much better off putting that money into a centerfire handgun.

If you got extra permits and dough, I would do a Sig P226 either MK25 FDE or Extreme :)

I'd stay away from the mosquito. Too temperamental with Ammo.

I have a German P228 with holster wear that I'm planning on selling. $535

New, the Sig Mosquito was a pain with ammo. However after fully breaking in.. its pretty painless these days with any ammo I throw into it. It took a few thousand rounds to fully break in but I no longer have any complaints. 

Perhaps a Sig Mosquito is your answer. Dedicated 22lr with the exact ergo of the 226 but not the weight or size. I use my Sig Mosquito mostly for training new shooters or when I feel like blasting through lots of ammo! 

I'd stay away from the mosquito. Too temperamental with Ammo.

I have a German P228 with holster wear that I'm planning on selling. $535

New, the Sig Mosquito was a pain with ammo. However after fully breaking in.. its pretty painless these days with any ammo I throw into it. It took a few thousand rounds to fully break in but I no longer have any complaints. 

After doing a trigger job and removing the magazine safety, the Mosquito is a much more decent shooter. However I've only shot min-mags.