peppers

doing renovations

i knew this junk house would pay off lol. i got my appraisal on my refinance and my house is valued at twice what i payed for it. majority is still 1950s that i am updating. any recommendations for hvac, additions, plumbing for central nj is greatly appreciated.

If you need an architect let me know.

I've done some minor stuff on the side and it's all turned out well.

Kitchens and baths are the best bang for the buck when talking about home values. If you want to do an addition, I would look at the zoning/survey to see how much you CAN build. I had a family contact me hell bent on doubling the size of their house. Quick look at the zoning and turned out that without a variance, they wouldn't be able to build what they wanted. They ended up selling the house.

If you have the room to go out rather than up it will be a lot less intrusive in your daily life. Kitchen addition, bath ,bedroom etc.

My house is a 1950's era home(cape cod style) and i have so far done a dormer. complete electrical. all water and waste, Converted from oil to gas, city water. Still in the process

of renovating since I do all or most of the work myself. If you have the experience and desire you can save yourself a lot of money.   I;m more like the shoe maker with holes in his shoes,  slow and steady

My driveway goes back to a garage in my yard so out isn't an option. There is a second floor. I would like to raid it up and turn it to 2 bedrooms for when my kids visit. I already did the sewer line and electric. My oil heat took a dive last year so I have been using a wood stove. Gas is on the to do list. Pseg already said they would do it I just need the lines done in the house.

I have a room that my son was using for a bedroom. If like to make that the kitchen and turn the current kitchen into a dining room. My bedroom and bathroom I already did myself. If I could get the roof raised I could do majority myself.

In general, I think I would address the issues, if there are any, that would keep people from buying it.  Especially anything that's an easier fix.  You'll have to use your judgement on any bigger issues you find.

-Water damage/leaks in ceilings or walls.

-Wiring that isn't code.  I mean stuff previous owners clearly did incorrectly.

-Anything like cracks in the foundation.

-Make sure there's no mold issues.

But for improvements... Kitchen, bathrooms for sure if you can.  If the cabinets are in good shape but they're old, maybe a reface with new doors is a lower cost option.  You could try a DIY cabinet replacement if you're handy. I built a center island on my own with cabinets from home depot.  But anything with new cabinets can be expensive.  Before even buying the the granite top, the cabinets for that island, plus the trim pieces, came to $4500.  The granite was another $2K.

Also, if the floors kinda suck, you might find a good deal on some hardwood that you can put down yourself.  Things can go wrong with that though. even the engineered, no-nail pre-finished stuff.  If you're not careful about keeping it all square, you'll end up with gaps between the slats.  And that "click in place" stuff doesn't click so easily once it's not lining up.  But.... if you do a foyer area, hallway, living room to all be the same floor, it looks nicer.

Paint.... chair rail.... picture frame molding.  if you don't over do it, it can make it look nice.  Some new light fixtures.

If it has garage doors and they suck, some Clopay doors might help.  Or a new front door for a Home Depot or Lowes or local door guy.

if the HVAC works well, I'd leave it.  My most recent quote on two forced air HVAC installs (3 ton plus 5 ton.. 14 SEER / 93% ) was $14K.

Go check out other people's landscaping and see if you need to do anything outside.  Just cleaning up, trimming, mulching, some flowers and grass seed can do a lot.

And try to unclutter the inside. 

Good luck.

i have lived in the house a year. i finished half the basement, did new windows. all electrical is complete. i know what it needs I've done construction for years. problem is time. i go to my xs house every day to help the kids with homework then I'm off to work for the night. i can tackle projects on the weekend but the big stuff I'm at the point id rather get a crew to do it then ill do the rest.

I feel your pain.  need 48 hours in every day.....

The idea is to make it appealing.  Some stuff costs a fortune.  Other stuff, not so much.

If you're considering a bigger job and can deal with the expense, like Alex V said, the kitchen and bathrooms are where you probably have the most chance of making a difference to a buyer.  At least the master bathroom.  People seem to like those glass surround showers. Some like big open showers, but in an older house, I doubt you'd have space for a big open shower.  Some people like those free standing legged tubs in a bathroom.  I think they're creepy.  But they fit nice in an older house.  Bathrooms can be a money pit as well.  I'm pretty sure i could burn through $100K on renovations in my house and not feel like we were done.  I'm also pretty sure I'm not doing $100k in reno's any time soon.

For the easy stuff, I'd paint every room.. or at least the main living area rooms, all the same color and as bright and as neutral as possible.  Light tans or light grays.  Depending on the style of the home.  Then like I said, the floors. When they're the same or not more than two types, it looks a lot better.  That's something we have to deal with in our house.   Hiring someone to do the floors isn't horribly expensive.

Then some light fixtures if you're not happy with the ones you have.

If the kitchen floor is beat up or ugly, tile is nice. Not cheap though as you probably know.  Then there's the dilemma to pull out or leave in the cabinets.  It's like pulling a thread... next thing you know the whole shirt is in pieces.

I think I would do the easy / cheap stuff first, then have someone over who you think will be able to tell you how it looks.  If you can preserve the profit margin and sell it... maybe to someone who's excited about doing some customization's..... you win.

The kitchen needs a total teardown anyway. Fridge died, electric stove is dying. Drywall is shot, cabinets were out of another house and don't match. I want to move the kitchen to another room. The sink is shot and to have the proper drain angle you would have to step over the pipe going down the stairs. So I plan to remedy all of that. I can do the wood floors. I have done them before. The bathroom I tore out completely and redesigned it. Soon as the order arrives the 1950s nasty tub goes by by by and replaced with a massive shower stall with glass surround and 8 head shower system. Tile I just have to buy. I have a friend that does awsome tile work just cost me beer and pizza