mikeyjones

Training for matches in NJ

CJRPC will require you to shoot a few matches before you are given a badge. You may then bring your scores to the board to obtain the badge. The badge allows you to draw from a holster and train in the pits. I still train in the pits with IDPA targets I just start in low ready.as I do not have a badge. 

Some of the ranges such as RTSP and Gun for Hire let you draw from a holster once you have taken their courses.  As for shooting multiple targets and shooting on the move well you need to join an outside range for that.  Probably the best training is to get yourself a shot timer and do dry fire at home.

Some of the ranges such as RTSP and Gun for Hire let you draw from a holster once you have taken their courses.  As for shooting multiple targets and shooting on the move well you need to join an outside range for that.  Probably the best training is to get yourself a shot timer and do dry fire at home.

I do have a shot timer (app) and I have started practicing dry firing. That's why I'm looking for more input outside of dry firing. 

I used to belong to Cherry Ridge and anything remotely close to fun is verboten there.  So I assume it's not all outdoor ranges.  

How is Shongum with that stuff?  I'd like to join there, but it's over a year waitlist at this point.

You are correct the wait list at Shongum is over a year, the good news is that because of that you often see no one there - which means no waits for anything.  They don't allow holster drawing in the indoor range but you are free to do that at the outdoor pistol pit.  Assuming no one else is using it you can set up multiple USPSA targets and run around shooting your made up stage.  I just saw the software below the other day which might be something good to use for dry firing.  The first one costs $120 while the second one is free.  Don't really know anything about them, but they look like they would be very useful.

$120

http://lasrapp.com/

Here are a bunch of videos on the first one: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ60kV7CXAxm9ZZARQ-CR5UAkdnpAbYl2

$ Free

http://phrack.github.io/ShootOFF/

I would be interested if anyone can provide insight into this type of software.

Do they have a training schedule?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Its on demand training. I spoke to them and organised a 3 hour training session during the week. It was a great session and well worth it. I must get another session organised as its comp season again :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Its on demand training. I spoke to them and organised a 3 hour training session during the week. It was a great session and well worth it. I must get another session organised as its comp season again :)

His prices are per person?

Yep as listed on http://www.dvcperformance.com/Competition_Training.html prices are individual and there is also group.

I'm on my phone and they weren't populating until I switched to the desktop version of the site.

Thanks for that.

In this state it's advisable not to advertise publicly who we are and what we do. Is reason I don't have an NRA sticker on my car.

You poor bastard.  THIS type of thinking is part of the problem.  I've driven well over 2 million miles w/ NRA Life Member, IDPA, USPSA, Boy Scouts, NJ Sportsmens Clubs, you name it on my bumper and windows.  

It's time to ACT NORMAL and COME OUT OF THE SHADOWS!  

• Like 2

You poor bastard. THIS type of thinking is part of the problem. I've driven well over 2 million miles w/ NRA Life Member, IDPA, USPSA, Boy Scouts, NJ Sportsmens Clubs, you name it on my bumper and windows.

It's time to ACT NORMAL and COME OUT OF THE SHADOWS!

Do you live in a more wild part of NJ? I live close to Montclair a liberal enclave and if I put NRA sticker on car locals would write me a nasty Haiku and leave on windshield.[emoji1]

Do you live in a more wild part of NJ? I live close to Montclair a liberal enclave and if I put NRA sticker on car locals would write me a nasty Haiku and leave on windshield.[emoji1]

So put a security camera on, catch 'em, and press charges.  

• Like 1

I had a session with DVC Performance Training and he was great.  I was 3 months into USPSA (a novice) and DVC Performance knew there were so many things I needed to improve, but focused on the the few that would get me somewhat competitive quickly....Trigger, Transitions, Splits, Cadence and Counting.  He is a great instructor, great shooter, yet never makes you feel inferior.

I am scheduling another session with him next month.

My dry firing consist of pure dry fire but I introduced Laser Lyte laser cartridges and "reflectors" glued to a 3 target USPSA Array in my basement (se photo below) ,   The 9mm Laser Lyte chambers in my 38 Super Tanfoglio (in picture) and my 9mm Sig 229 DA.  I mention the Sig because I can repeat firing the laser cartridge without having to manually rack the slide (benefits of a DA). This helps in splits and transitions.  A DAA SHOTMAXX Timer / Watch can be set to pick up "airsoft" and thus, dry fire hammer hits get recorded on high sensitivity.  I also put a C-More on the Sig, so at least the Red Dot Acquisition is similar between the 2 platforms,  

Sounds a bit expensive....BUT 1) no ammo costs, 2) no travel time 3) no set-up/break down time 4) no gun cleaning afterwards.   Just "cleaning the basement honey, I'll be up in 1/2 hour" [Note to Self....clean up that basement, the photo is embarrassing].  

Nothing replaces "live" practice on "real" arrays, but the LaserLyte dry fire allows for plenty of trigger time, transition time, split counts, cadence and counting where the strike hit on each target.  

Howard mention the simulator by LaserAmmo folks in NY.  I have their Personal Electronic Target System (PET) along with their revolver laser cartridges (LasetLyte doesn't make 357 or 45lc) and the products work great.  I spoke to them regarding the simulator and said to make sure your projector can generate enough lumens for the camera to pick up in all lighting conditions.

Maybe we can create a USPSA Laser Simulator Range without the regulatory hassle of a Firearm Range and then franchise it throughout the world.   We can call it RTSP (Real Time Simulator Practice), ooops   (RTSP1) Peter...you guys already have that name.  

Safety Note:  Always remember to remove the LaserLyte Cartridge from the chamber before going "LIVE".  

post-8104-0-01401800-1458206526_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-91776900-1458206532_thumb.jpg

I had a session with DVC Performance Training and he was great. I was 3 months into USPSA (a novice) and DVC Performance knew there were so many things I needed to improve, but focused on the the few that would get me somewhat competitive quickly....Trigger, Transitions, Splits, Cadence and Counting. He is a great instructor, great shooter, yet never makes you feel inferior.

I am scheduling another session with him next month.

My dry firing consist of pure dry fire but I introduced Laser Lyte laser cartridges and "reflectors" glued to a 3 target USPSA Array in my basement (se photo below) , The 9mm Laser Lyte chambers in my 38 Super Tanfoglio (in picture) and my 9mm Sig 229 DA. I mention the Sig because I can repeat firing the laser cartridge without having to manually rack the slide (benefits of a DA). This helps in splits and transitions. A DAA SHOTMAXX Timer / Watch can be set to pick up "airsoft" and thus, dry fire hammer hits get recorded on high sensitivity. I also put a C-More on the Sig, so at least the Red Dot Acquisition is similar between the 2 platforms,

Sounds a bit expensive....BUT 1) no ammo costs, 2) no travel time 3) no set-up/break down time 4) no gun cleaning afterwards. Just "cleaning the basement honey, I'll be up in 1/2 hour" [Note to Self....clean up that basement, the photo is embarrassing].

Nothing replaces "live" practice on "real" arrays, but the LaserLyte dry fire allows for plenty of trigger time, transition time, split counts, cadence and counting where the strike hit on each target.

Howard mention the simulator by LaserAmmo folks in NY. I have their Personal Electronic Target System (PET) along with their revolver laser cartridges (LasetLyte doesn't make 357 or 45lc) and the products work great. I spoke to them regarding the simulator and said to make sure your projector can generate enough lumens for the camera to pick up in all lighting conditions.

Maybe we can create a USPSA Laser Simulator Range without the regulatory hassle of a Firearm Range and then franchise it throughout the world. We can call it RTSP (Real Time Simulator Practice), ooops (RTSP1) Peter...you guys already have that name.

Safety Note: Always remember to remove the LaserLyte Cartridge from the chamber before going "LIVE".

Ok, your shooting open, which is fine - but careful when you practice with the laser and iron sight guns - you don't want to get in the habit of looking for your shot ( laser ) instead of the front sight.

Best of luck

• Like 2

mikeyjones,

I just came across this technology (I don't own it, nor endorse it) that adds an "airsoft blowback co2" recoil feature to your actual firearm (presently Glock, SIG, Berretta, Colt 1911/clones).  Its called CoolFire Recoil Laser System, it is expensive but they claim the blowback exceeds the felt recoil of a 9mm.  

It looks interesting but I need to use the $$ for "live" ammo and get back out to the range.  My "Laser Laboratory" is giving me a false sense of mastery so I'll do a hybrid training approach now that winter is over.

http://coolfiretrainer.com/whatpeoplearesayingdetail.asp?id=12

BTW Enjoy your LaserLyte System, In addition to the reactive targets, I augment with bicycle reflectors (some are still attached the bicycles collecting dust in my basement... spring cleaning) !!

post-8104-0-68694300-1459692175_thumb.jpg

mikeyjones,

I just came across this technology (I don't own it, nor endorse it) that adds an "airsoft blowback co2" recoil feature to your actual firearm (presently Glock, SIG, Berretta, Colt 1911/clones).  Its called CoolFire Recoil Laser System, it is expensive but they claim the blowback exceeds the felt recoil of a 9mm.  

It looks interesting but I need to use the $$ for "live" ammo and get back out to the range.  My "Laser Laboratory" is giving me a false sense of mastery so I'll do a hybrid training approach now that winter is over.

http://coolfiretrainer.com/whatpeoplearesayingdetail.asp?id=12

BTW Enjoy your LaserLyte System, In addition to the reactive targets, I augment with bicycle reflectors (some are still attached the bicycles collecting dust in my basement... spring cleaning) !!

That looks interesting but for $350, there's other stuff on my list ahead of that...

I just saw that same item on a FB post today. It looks interesting but kinda pricey. It is gun specific as well so you would need one for each type of gun you have. It does appear you can use one in multiple different Glocks but they must be the same generation.