medved11

15" Troy Alpha Rail on a 16" Barrel?

I'm thinking about putting a 15" Troy Alpha rail on my next build that will be using a 16" barrel with a pinned Surefire brake or Dynacomp (I've got both brakes in my cart but one or the other is going to be deleted) but I'm having a little difficulty picturing how that set up will look.

Does anyone have any pictures of a similar set up that they can share to help me visualize this set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good choice on the Troy tube. They're my first choice when putting a tube on an already built upper - using the stabdard barrel it saves aggravation when dealing with an already pinned muzzle device.

I like mine a lot - although I prefer the 13" to the 15". Those extra 2" don't do much besides add weight. Unless you have ridiculously long arms, its wasted real estate IMO.

Two of mine:

13" Troy Alpha with 16" barrel:

51F6B215-2A8F-4CC6-B8A4-C388AB278E9E_zps

13" Troy Alpha with 14.5" barrel and pinned Troy brake:

4BB20D7D-5E09-4D6E-95E9-BCADF89B1D49_zps

• Like 1

Good choice on the Troy tube. They're my first choice when putting a tube on an already built upper - using the standard barrel it saves aggravation when dealing with an already pinned muzzle device.

I like mine a lot - although I prefer the 13" to the 15". Those extra 2" don't do much besides add weight. Unless you have ridiculously long arms, its wasted real estate IMO.

Two of mine:

13" Troy Alpha with 16" barrel:

13" Troy Alpha with 14.5" barrel and pinned Troy brake:

Quick question if you don't mind, So If you had to you can remove and slide the tube off/over the brake?  I realize the gas block isn’t going anywhere but I always thought the pinned brake locked-in the free float rail as well. I’d been entertaining the thought of doing a build with a free floated rail but the pinned brake was always deal breaker since I thought the tube was not removable for repair/replacement do to the pinned brake.  Thanks in advance

Oh god .. the jokes  .. they just write themselves .. I'll control myself ..

I don't think I have gorilla arms, but I'm over 6' so I don't have T-rex arms either. For me, the 15" handguards come in handy both because I like to reach out all the way out there for easier aiming, and also because they let me rest the hand guard on all sorts of things further out without resting on the barrel.

But that's me, and I've come to understand that there are a lot of people who aren't me.

• Like 1

I think mounting sights on a 15" hand guard is a sub-ideal solution. 15" hand guards flex, all hand guards flex, but long ones flex more, I have no problem deflecting the front sight when mounted on a 13" troy hand guard unless I'm really careful. Backup sights are what they are but on the guns where I have them they are mounted on the barrel and effectively free floated away from the human interface bits (hand guard).