Purple Patrick

GWAC CAV 15 MKII

My concern would be the high stress points where steel pins are going to be applying stress in point locations to the polymer. I would like to see a steel or brass bushing molded into the poly in a few spots to spread out the stress.

They may be fine as-is but I'd hate to find out in 10 years that a pin no longer fits because the poly is chipping or deforming after a few thousand rounds.

As I said, they may be fine and I really like the look. But, I'll stay away until they have a few years exposure to the real world first.

There is a lower out there that has those stress points with metal bushings. But it's a traditional lower not one with an integrated stock and grip

Cav Arms (et al) has a widespread and long reputation for durability. This is why the stock is integrated into the received, one of the weak points in other designs.

It's really hard to tell apart your smart ass posts and your real ones

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Cav Arms (et al) has a widespread and long reputation for durability. This is why the stock is integrated into the received, one of the weak points in other designs.

It's really hard to tell apart your smart ass posts and your real ones

He's being serious.

The weakest point on previous polymer AR attempts and other older model polymer lowers was where the receiver extension (buffer tube) screwed into the threads at the rear of the lower receiver. It routinely cracked at the rear takedown pin from the stress created by the leverage from the receiver extension.

CavArms solved this issue by making it a non-issue: they integrated an A2 stock into the lower receiver and made it a one piece design.

Robar is now making a very very nice (and by all accounts exceptionally well made and sturdy) polymer lower and upper receiver set - if you are looking at other polymer AR setups:

http://polymar15.robarguns.com

The polymer upper may even work with your lower - which would be pretty cool.

Alright so the rifle is pretty much done. It's sitting at 5.5lbs unloaded with irons and the vfg. Still needs a lightweight bcg but that won't be in stock for a while so I have a standard one in there now.

My question is where should I mount the rear sling point? I picked up the mount n slot qd attachment and plan on using the factory mount on the hand guard. Can you guys think of a way to mock this up before I drill or have an opinion either way? Fwiw I'm 6'3" 250lb and have decently long arms

Here's a few pics of similar Mounts

1888d711ba2d1ab0dde2c08ecef632b6.jpg7190e47aff264ce7f3056badb2e369ed.jpg

Here's where I was thinking dbafce7553b9465df4ffd57bd5de4fbb.jpg

Are you looking to use a 2 or 3 point sling? Or a convertible 1-2 point?

Sorry I probably should have mentioned I'm using a magpul ms4 which is 2 to 1 convertible but I will probably never use it as a 1 point

BTW I got my last LW bcg from granite ridge arms. Its an AIM lw bcg.

Check to see if they have any in stock.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

The aim is the one I'm waiting for. Gotta see if it's in stock

Here ya go - Blue Force Gear A2 Sling Adapter:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/a2-buttstock-adapter.html

This is a very affordable peice that lets you attach the sling to the stil without modifying the gun.

You can also try this - Tangodown PR16-A4:

https://tangodown.com/shop/tangodown-pr-16a4-fixed-stock/

Designed by Pat Rogers to get the sling on an USMC M16a4 as close to the receiver as possibly without altering/disassembling the rifle.

Here ya go - Blue Force Gear A2 Sling Adapter:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/a2-buttstock-adapter.html

This is a very affordable peice that lets you attach the sling to the stil without modifying the gun.

You can also try this - Tangodown PR16-A4:

https://tangodown.com/shop/tangodown-pr-16a4-fixed-stock/

Designed by Pat Rogers to get the sling on an USMC M16a4 as close to the receiver as possibly without altering/disassembling the rifle.

Thanks HE but I'm going to use the mount and slot I already have. Way more low profile and simple. It's "permanent" but I like that fact I don't have to worry about it

Robar is now making a very very nice (and by all accounts exceptionally well made and sturdy) polymer lower and upper receiver set - if you are looking at other polymer AR setups:

http://polymar15.robarguns.com

The polymer upper may even work with your lower - which would be pretty cool.

Just seeing this mentioned, I looked into Robar's upper when I was doing a lightweight build off a TN Arms lower.

The Robar receivers are proprietary, and cannot be switched for standard lower/uppers. That was direct from Robar.

So I took this beast out today. Fired about 300 flawless rounds. The dynacomp was blasty but nowhere near as bad as other devices. The recoil and muzzle rise was almost non existent. I took a new shooter with me and he fired it excellently. Overall I'm super happy with my first build

2dc19ead128769547cc7369ef2f1e637.jpg

Yea like I said I've been next to some that are pretty bad. I stood in the port over whole my buddy was shooting and could feel the blast but not enough to throw me off

Also depends on where you're standing too - some are thumpy to the sides compared to directly behind... others are thumpy all around...

So I had some time to start working on what I wanted to do with the lower. I cut off a decent chunk of stock and have a slip on recoil pad to give me back some LOP. The stock had a factory hard plate that was not comfortable at all and this improves it significantly. I still need to clean the edges and fit the pad better as well as drill the stock for my sling point. I'll have more pics up later 794a6799034ba2527d044eced055844e.jpg

There is a company that does the same exact modification I'm doing and the manufacturer warranties their work. Like most of us on here I have to tinker with things myself and I'll gladly save the $140. Hell if it breaks it's cheaper just to get a new one then pay for that service. Like with all "battle" firearms I will be vetting it in a carbine class

The slip on pad is slightly to big so I need a smaller one. Tape is on there just to hold it better until I get a smaller one, it is rock solid as is but of course looks bubbaed up. Sling mount is on and is also rock solid. I wouldn't hesitated to mortar this on the ground 09b4a37082b8ba90fd65f66715c98cc7.jpg1a80dd3c30432e20e886260488708dcb.jpg