Sign in to follow this  
Jackruf

Revolver Training Courses

Can anyone recommend a 1/2 day or full day revolver training course (new to revolvers but somewhat experienced with semi-autos) in the NNJ area?  Alternatively, a reasonably priced training instructor for individual lessons?

Interesting - what is your end goal? Just competent use/general knowledge? Defensive carry & use? Competition?

I really know of no one locally that concentrates strictly on revolvers or even as an adjunct to a regular course that is predominantly semi-autos.

Alec, on this board, is a competitive revolver shooter and a Grand Master in Revolver Division in USPSA (did I get it right this time, Alec?) - but that doesn't mean that he is competent to teach or that his experience wouldn't be applicable to other areas of revolver use.

I have been shooting revolvers for almost 45 years - most recently, competitively, but I am far from even being worthy of shining Alec's boots in that respect, but my general knowledge may be better.

Rosie (Smokin' 50 on this board) is an NRA Instructor - I believe he has a handgun certification and is very competent with a revolver.

Given that you consider yourself experienced with a semi-auto, it is more about making the transition to a different platform than it is about starting from scratch.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but one of the best ways to acclimate yourself to a particular weapon is to use it, and using it to compete teaches you even more. I'd suggest you try something like an IDPA match with whatever semi-auto you have and once you have an understanding of the game, transition to the revolver. There are a number of people on this board and off that have purchased a revolver because it was "cool" , "retro" and "old school", but then wonder what the heck are they going to do with it - a lot of them, some at my urging, have opted to try competition.

If you would like to just observe a match, initially, there is a match at Somerset (SCFGPA) this Sunday - bring your eyes and ears and watch - we'll even let you tape targets - LOL. You'll find that we are a friendly bunch and more than happy to share our knowledge with you - correct or not.  :haha: There will be at least two revolver shooters there and who knows if others will show-up. There is nothing quite as satisfying as beating a bottom-feeder at a game pretty much designed to favor them. Match starts at 11:45 AM and there will be somebody there from 10 AM on.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob covered the bases.  Now it's up to you to tell us what the GOAL is so we can better judge our own worthiness to do the training.  I too have been a wheelie fan for 45 years (since I was a pre-teen).  

As Bob mentioned, some of the best training in gun handling is available thru osmosis training in competition, either IDPA or USPSA.  Somersets' IDPA w/ (2) slices of pizza for $10 is the best deal in the State (it's THIS SUNDAY)!  

Other objectives might be:

Hand gun hunting (like the Hog Hunt I'm running next month!).

Bowling Pin Competitions

Police Practical Competitions (PPC--what I'm the Match Director for at Old Bridge)

Long distance silhouettes (knockdown steel farm animals past 150 yards)

Home Defense

Bug Gun (back-up or 2nd gun tactics)

Static Steel Competitions

Strong-hand and Weak-hand from cover positions.

So let us know what area(s) of interest you have and we'll try to steer you in the right direction.

Dave

Shootist

Bob and Dave, thanks for reply. At this point I am looking to gain a basic proficiency with the ultimate goal of confident home defense. My short term objective is to learn correct grip, trigger control and reloading technique. I am finding the 12+ lb double action pull to be a whole different experience compared to my Beretta 92. And from what I have been reading, all training should focus exclusively in double action mode. My 57 year old eyes are past the point of competition!

Thanks again

Andy

If you are going to be near somerset this sunday Stop by just to check it out. Im not sure of the count. But im guessing there will be atleast 5 of us shooting revolver. It will give you a good idea of revolver home defense. Its free. And were nice people. That way you can ask away at any questions you have. And 57 isnt old. Youre young enough to be Bobs son. Soon to be super senior Bob.

... And 57 isnt old. Youre young enough to be Bobs son. Soon to be super senior Bob.

Well, I was precocious, but not quite that precocious. But don't get me started on bad eyes, let alone other body parts. By all means, if you can make it on Sunday, come on out. Just as one picture is worth a thousand words, watching something live is worth.....ah, hell, I don't know...worth a lot.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yes, we have an indoor range and the roof only leaks a little bit, so rain or shine, we'll be running the match.

As for your poor old eyes, perhaps you don't realize, but the ideal target area on an IDPA target is an 8" circle on the chest. There is also a 6" x 6" square for the head. If you miss the down-0 areas there is still 18" x 24" of target which still counts. Most of the shots will be 5-15 yards. We're not talking bullseye precision here.

So I'm only 56.  Does that mean I'm in Bob's will for some of those Wheelie's, lol?

Andy,  DA trigger pull can be 'smithed a little, even on a HD gun.  It can be "tweaked" so it more closely resembles a "stock" trigger of a Smith or Colt from 50 years ago (smooth and "buttery").  You'll have a BLAST at the Somerset Match.  It's (4) Stages, all with a round-count of (18) or less, so bring your gun and ammo, eyes and ears and show-up EARLY for the Safety Lecture for Newbies.  Check-out You Tube to see what IDPA is all about.  The website for the national organization is:  http://www.idpa.com  .   And you can shoot your first match w/o being a member of the national organization.

And Alec is right about fiber optic sights.  Put the front sight in the middle of the target and you'll get good hits!

You'll have a BLAST at the Somerset Match. It's (4) Stages, all with a round-count of (18) or less, so bring your gun and ammo, eyes and ears and show-up EARLY for the Safety Lecture for Newbies.

We are hosted by SCFGPA which is a small indoor range. Therefore we can only run 1 shooter at a time which means we go slower than ranges with multiple bays. As a result we limit the number of shooters each month so we can all get home at a decent hour.

This month's match is full with a stacked wait list. If you want to come and watch, you are more than welcome, but you won't get to shoot this month. If you want to shoot next month, please book a spot by going to http://www.somersetidpa.com/matches and follow the link to sign up. I'll create the sign up page for next month next week.

Stu, sorry I jumped the gun.  I didn't realize you're full and have the wait list.

Andy, Stu is the Match Director for Somerset, so do what he says and you'll be good.

Also, Old Bridge just had their IDPA last Sunday.  So they'll have another one (outdoors) on the 2nd Sunday at 9:00am.  Since they're outside, they can spread-out in shooting pits and have a "shotgun start" with all pits becoming active.  Also a great place to learn.