EX Carnival man

If you use your gun this is what you're up against.

We recently had a discussion on these boards about a similar situation.

So just to be the cold voice of reason, why did she need to shoot him if he was exiting the house (climbing out a window), according to the report?  Lethal force should not be used to protect property, only to defend against the threat of loss of life or serious

bodily harm.  Like it or not, if you can't accept that on a moral basis, recognize the legality of it, because failure to do so could

get you jail time and/or cost you a hell of a lot of hard earned money.

• Like 3

Florida - stand your ground law was lawfully exercised in defense of property.

54 year old female homeowner was not home - she was alerted by her security system that someone was breaking in.  Homeowner went home and found the 17 yr old burglar exiting through the window.  There was a confrontation and she fired one shot.  Boom Dead.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/4144/relatives-killed-17-year-old-home-invader-how-else-robert-kraychik

Legitimate shot or not, it still doesn't change the fact of the matter that the hood mentality is ludicrous.

"He from the hood - how else he gonna get his money"?  SERIOUSLY?  Get a job... do something...  

"He was very big on education. He loved going to school. He loved learning," - how come he didn't learn to not steal? 

• Like 6

I have insurance for stuff.

The gun is the insurance for the life of me and mine.

To hold a perp.... Yes. But, need more details on the " confrontation"

I agree with others. Get a job bro! That's how the people your stealing the shit from got the shit in the first place

I FEEL that if he was leaving...exiting.....climbing out the window.....however ya wanna say it.......she should never have drawn. if the confrontation was her getting in his face.....then she shouldn't have done that. she shoulda been on the phone to the pd before she even got home. now if she entered her home, and perp re-thought the exit strategy, and came back in after her.....all bets are off.....

• Like 1

bullshit.

it's time to stop coddling these thugs and criminals.  you steal shit, you get shot at, and you might get dead. period.

especially since it's a double standard with them. try stealing from a thief and see what kind of hell gets dropped on you.

The mentality of "He from the hood, how else he gonna get money for school clothes?" is the root of the problem.  Every single Walmart is always hiring. Go get a job.

If there was a confrontation during a burglary, no matter how it came to be, if she felt she needed to fire the weapon, than she was in the right.

Why should she go hide in a corner in her own house?  You rob someone's house, your life is in the hands of the property owner.

• Like 1

I don't have any sympathy for the "good kid who took education seriously". If you want to act like a gang banger, deal with the consequences also. However, regardless of how Florida's SYG laws work, if it were me, I wouldn't have shot the kid unless my life or someone else's life was in danger. Of course, we don't have all the details so we don't know what type of altercation occurred, but anything short of the homeowner being attacked and fearing for her life, I can't agree with the shoot, even if the burglar was another degenerate. The key is what type of altercation occurred? If it was a verbal altercation, I can see how the DA would want to prosecute. If it was a physical altercation, well, the kid got what was coming to him.

bullshit.

it's time to stop coddling these thugs and criminals.  you steal shit, you get shot at, and you might get dead. period.

especially since it's a double standard with them. try stealing from a thief and see what kind of hell gets dropped on you.

So if you wake up in the middle of the night, and see someone leaving your house with your tv, you're going to shoot the guy? And before anyone starts accusing me of coddling these scum, it has nothing to do with them, but everything to do with my family. I'm not going to shoot someone unless it's absolutely necessary to preserve my life or my family's life, b/c doing so whether I'm in the right or wrong, will have consequences. I don't want to dedicate the next X amount of years having to defend myself in a court, by shooting someone who was not posing an immediate physical threat to me or my family. I also don't want to live the rest of my life, questioning myself on whether or not it was a good shoot. If I'm going to be shooting anyone, I'll be damn sure to make sure it's to save life, not a tv.

• Like 1

Sig guy, give me your TV. 

Seriously though, we should not have to uphold any kind of goody too shoes attitude pro 2A people. We should be proud to say FUCK THAT KID! 

Now I gotta find a cheap plane ticket so I can go down there and take a shit on his grave. 

Not to agitate, but TX recognizes that defense of property is reason to use deadly force. You can even use deadly force if you find someone robbing your neighbor's house while he is away. Obviously, each state is different.

Would I flinch in that situation? Probably.

Sig guy, give me your TV. 

Seriously though, we should not have to uphold any kind of goody too shoes attitude pro 2A people. We should be proud to say FUCK THAT KID! 

Now I gotta find a cheap plane ticket so I can go down there and take a shit on his grave.

It's not about upholding any certain attitude. It's about what is right and wrong. Shooting some that is not an imminent threat to your life is wrong, regardless of what they were doing. On top of that, the legal ramifications that are sure to follow is not worth a tv to me. A gun is a tool of self defense. Where is the self defense in shooting someone who at the very moment is carrying your tv out of your home?

Not to agitate, but TX recognizes that defense of property is reason to use deadly force. You can even use deadly force if you find someone robbing your neighbor's house while he is away. Obviously, each state is different.

Would I flinch in that situation? Probably.

True, but one can still potentially open them self up to a civil lawsuit. Ianal but I believe it's possibly to have a civil wrongful death suit against you even if the shooting was justified.

Florida is not NJ.  Robbing or Home invading, in Florida there is good chance you will get shot.  The criminal justice system failed this kid.  I'll bet he's been in and out a few times.  Once he confronted the home owner it was over for him.  It was his choice. The good boy he was he felt a confrontation with a woman was his best move.   I'm sure she just wanted to go home at the end of the day.   She was lucky. The good person got to go home and the bad guy went to the morgue. 

• Like 2

The cop at the end gave bad advice. Active home invader merits immediate response from home owner not just a call to 911. Although is being overrun by liberal northerners.

The cop at the end gave bad advice. Active home invader merits immediate response from home owner not just a call to 911. Although is being overrun by liberal northerners.

Agreed Miami shouldn't be considered part of Florida.  It should be another county of NJ.  

Florida is not NJ.  Robbing or Home invading, in Florida there is good chance you will get shot.  The criminal justice system failed this kid.  I'll bet he's been in and out a few times.  Once he confronted the home owner it was over for him.  The good boy he was he felt a confrontation with a woman was his best move.   I'm sure she just wanted to go home at the end of the day.   She was lucky. The good person got to go home and the bad guy went to the morgue.

How do you know he felt a confrontation with the home owner was his best move? You're making a bunch of assumptions without any facts. None of us know if this was a good shoot or not. None of us were there and all the facts haven't been presented yet.

So you think it was wise of her to not only go home during the burglary, but to get out of the safety of her car and confront the scumbag? Any danger she might have been in, she brought upon herself by exiting the safety of her vehicle and approaching the pos who was exiting her home. I'm not saying the kid didn't deserve what he got. What I'm saying is as gun owners, we need to be smarter than just blindly believing that we can do anything with our guns as long as the one on the other end of the barrel is a scumbag.

• Like 1

If I'm going to be shooting anyone, I'll be damn sure to make sure it's to save life, not a tv.

My TX CHL instructor gave an interesting example for the rationale behind defense of property.

Say your attractive wife is mugged in a parking lot. Inside her purse is $500 cash, a Gucci purse and AMEX and your home address. Now, this thief thinks "wow, this lady is rich! I bet she has more where this came from." So he robs your house. Unfortunately, your wife is home alone because you're out on business. Not believing that his luck will work twice in his favor, he decides to leave no witnesses.

Dramatized, perhaps, but it hit home for me because my wife's purse was stolen a year before.