Dr. Goodshot

Get Lawyer for Firearms ID card??

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone who has hired a lawyer to obtain their firearm ID card or permit to purchase could kindly share their experiences.

Specifically:

Why did you use a lawyer?

Did having a lawyer help?

Do you think you got the card or permit faster than you would have if you hadn't hired a lawyer?

Is there a particular lawyer that you are happy with and that you recommend?

Thanks in advance...

Reason I ask:

I am new in New Jersey and want to get a firearm permit.

I can answer no to every question on the application EXCEPT question #26, which asks if I've ever seen a doctor or psychiatrist for a mental health condition. I have never ever in my life been to a psychiatrist or had any mental health issues. However, I have been to a therapist to discuss girlfriend problems, life issues, etc.

A lawyer I talked to tells me that I have to put yes on that question since a therapist, though not a psychiatrist, deals in mental health issues and is considered a doctor.

And furthermore, the therapist is totally anti-gun and refuses to do anything that would help me get a gun, including write a letter stating I'm not crazy, or answer questions if the investigators were to inquire of him.

So I understand that if I put yes, they will make inquiries of him, and if he refuses to answer I worry my application will be denied or delayed.

This is why I'm thinking I need a lawyer to navigate me through the whole thing and I would like to know if anyone else has had success going that route...

You will not need an attorney unless there is an issue in your past. Some departments are slower than others. Did you get a denial?

• Like 1

If your background is clear from both a criminal and mental health perspective, then you do not need a lawyer. If you think you have any issues at all with the questions on the sts-033 form, or are unsure how to answer; then I recommend you consult a firearm attorney BEFORE you apply.

• Like 1

Dr. Goodshot

Member Since Today, 12:36 AM
OFFLINE Last Active Today, 01:00 AM

Hmmmm......Joined at 12:36, posted his question & signed-out by 1 AM, and hasn't been back since (its now 5 PM).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As others have posted... You do not need an attorney unless you have had an issue in your past.

For the others... I genuinely think.... many people in NJ truly believe they need an attorney to get an FID.  We are just jaded here. =) Take off the hats.

You don't have to research the OP's member status to know it's a question from a new guy. And that that new guy is trying to work through the same laws and requirements that you all are constantly crying about.

I know when I went through the application process and read up on NJ's laws, there was more than one site offering or questioning the need for lawyer assistance. So, untwist your panties and answer the guy's question. That previous posts do nothing to welcome someone to the community.

No, a lawyer is not needed to apply for an FID. Unless you know there is a roadblock for you, it is a waste of money. The FID process is entirely navigable on your own. If there are delays, periodically following up with your application will let them know you're serious just as well as having a lawyer deliver it.

• Like 1

You don't have to research the OP's member status to know it's a question from a new guy. And that that new guy is trying to work through the same laws and requirements that you all are constantly crying about.

Wow. That's cute. Your birthday WAS yesterday.

Agree it is odd post. As far as lawyer, I had one who was the former judge in town make a phone call. My FID was being delayed by piss poor investigating. Waited 6 months. After phone call had FID and PTPs next day. Didn't cost me anything but it definitely didn't hurt. At the same time I am now up to 3 months waiting for my new PTPs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone who has hired a lawyer to obtain their firearm ID card or permit to purchase could kindly share their experiences.

Specifically:

Why did you use a lawyer?

Did having a lawyer help?

Do you think you got the card or permit faster than you would have if you hadn't hired a lawyer?

Is there a particular lawyer that you are happy with and that you recommend?

Thanks in advance...

Reason I ask:

I am new in New Jersey and want to get a firearm permit.

I can answer no to every question on the application EXCEPT question #26, which asks if I've ever seen a doctor or psychiatrist for a mental health condition. I have never ever in my life been to a psychiatrist or had any mental health issues. However, I have been to a therapist to discuss girlfriend problems, life issues, etc.

A lawyer I talked to tells me that I have to put yes on that question since a therapist, though not a psychiatrist, deals in mental health issues and is considered a doctor.

And furthermore, the therapist is totally anti-gun and refuses to do anything that would help me get a gun, including write a letter stating I'm not crazy, or answer questions if the investigators were to inquire of him.

So I understand that if I put yes, they will make inquiries of him, and if he refuses to answer I worry my application will be denied or delayed.

This is why I'm thinking I need a lawyer to navigate me through the whole thing and I would like to know if anyone else has had success going that route...

Dr.G, I don't believe that your consultation on relationship counseling could be considered a reason for denial. But.... This is NJ and it is full of people that are anti gun activists, including chief law enforcement officers. I am neither a doctor or a lawyer, but i don't see how seeking counseling on how to deal with issues in life constitutes a medical condition. Seems like a healthy thing to do. LEOs probably are required to seek counseling after an incident where they shot and killed a suspect. Are they banned from possessing a firearm? I doubt it.

Google Evan Nappen and contact his office. He can either help you or direct you to someone who can.

Edit: One concern ...which you probably already know. But if in fact that visit.. Or visits ... constitute something that requires to ans #26 with a yes, then you don't want to be in the position of answering falsely. Thats a problem.

If you must answer yes, I suppose you can include an explanation. If there are no records of you being deemed mentally incompetent, or diagnosed with a mental illness, I doubt there would be a problem. Again... Not a doctor... But thats my take on it. Good luck and please keep us posted if you could. It's a very interesting question.

I dont believe having a problem with a girlfriend can be considered a "mental health condition" - if it was, 99/100 men in the world would be turned down