Sign in to follow this  
TulsaJohn

Non Resident Florida Permit, Not Valid in Florida for Jersey Residents?

This was brought to my attention recently during a TX CHL class.   Any opinions?

Basicly what I was told that Florida will not recognize their own license from NJ residents unless we had one from NJ. I have my Florida License an was unaware of this.

790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.—
(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:
(a) Is 21 years of age or older.
(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.
© Is a resident of the United States.
(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.
(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by:
(a) Registering to vote;
(b) Making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17; or
© Filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state,

This was brought to my attention recently during a TX CHL class.   Any opinions?

Basicly what I was told that Florida will not recognize their own license from NJ residents unless we had one from NJ. I have my Florida License an was unaware of this.

790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.

(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:

(a) Is 21 years of age or older.

(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.

© Is a resident of the United States.

(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.

(3) If the resident of another state who is the holder of a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued in another state establishes legal residence in this state by:

(a) Registering to vote;

(b) Making a statement of domicile pursuant to s. 222.17; or

© Filing for homestead tax exemption on property in this state,

This applies to non residents that hold a license in a different state.   It means you as a NJ resident can't have a non-resident Texas license and carry in Florida unless you have NJ license.   

This has no bearing on non-residents who hold a FLORIDA license.

Have you ever heard of a licensing authority that issues a license that isn't valid in the area where they have legal authority in which to issue that licensing?  That's absurd.

• Like 1

the Florida license does not say "non-resident", unlike VA which says "non-resident". Neither of which matters, a FL permit issued to someone from outside the state is good in FL and 30 or so other states. Some states like PA have reneged recently and as a NJ resident my FL permit is not recognized any longer.

the Florida license does not say "non-resident", unlike VA which says "non-resident". Neither of which matters, a FL permit issued to someone from outside the state is good in FL and 30 or so other states. Some states like PA have reneged recently and as a NJ resident my FL permit is not recognized any longer for concealed carry (see statutes for clarification).

note the edit.

I totally agree with all the comments above. Its just strange that the instructor was adamant about it, and I was taken back a little. I completely explained that I had the Non Resident Florida along with a few other states and I was under the impression that I was covered. I didn't argue his statements, I just was like ok......