Howard

A screwed up anti-gun liberal NJ parent - ARG!!!

eh. I cant really blame the poor kid- parents yes To argue a point you need to have a clue what your talking about and I doubt she's had any postive exposure on the subject. aka brainwashed.

I am not so sure you can't blame the kid.  I would imagine the teacher (I would hope at least) taught both sides of the argument in class and then had the kids debate it.  Assuming that the case, then she really did fail.  I just find it incredulous that parent's brainwash their kids to such an extent.

I was very proud of my son when he turned Rutger's entrance essay on them.  The question was something like explain the value of diversity.  He went on to explain why it was bad and how he had been discriminated against his entire life because he was a white male.  They must have actually liked it as they granted him early admission (even though he had not requested that) and offered him a bunch of money to go there - he did not.

• Like 1

Someday he and his family will learn the true meaning of the Constitution, however by then it will be too late sorry to say.  

I would hope the teacher did teach both sides, but my gut and experience tells me probably not. 

Nice response.

Howard please tell us you UNFRIENDED the SOB!

I'm at the point in my life where I've unfriended family over their constant left-wing rants!  And my blood pressure is all the better for it, lol!

Howard please tell us you UNFRIENDED the SOB!

I'm at the point in my life where I've unfriended family over their constant left-wing rants!  And my blood pressure is all the better for it, lol!

I'm with you Dave. Although I don't use Farcebook, I have cut the mentally ill out of my life

The problem is Liberals have a mental disorder which works in their favor..  They always stay on the points they want to push regardless of facts.

They are happy with failures as long as it helps to push their agenda.

Failure of Home land security to Vet a terrorist which directly causes the death of 14 people is a Gun Problem... Push Gun Control

Your "Friend" is a complete asshole.. Hes proud his daughter failed since it helps push the anti gun agenda..

Another problem is when the parents don't teach or explain things and don't have direct eye to eye discussion, the kids merely just mimic what they here without any understanding.....

The problem is Liberals have a mental disorder which works in their favor..  They always stay on the points they want to push regardless of facts.

They are happy with failures as long as it helps to push their agenda.

Failure of Home land security to Vet a terrorist which directly causes the death of 14 people is a Gun Problem... Push Gun Control

Your "Friend" is a complete asshole.. Hes proud his daughter failed since it helps push the anti gun agenda..

Their other problem is a propensity the try to feed the monster what it wants in the hope that it will eat them last.

This applies to philosophical monsters as well as real ones that blow people up.

• Like 1

For any that are interested the "DEBATE" continues......  :)

Jay Sweifach I'd much rather her values be in-tact than her debating skills.

Like · Reply · 2 · 22 hrs

Howard Scho Really? And here I thought kids go to school to learn skills including creative thinking not just to parrot the indoctrination they receive from their parents.

Like · Reply · 1 · 22 hrs

Jay Sweifach Teaching one's children certain values as opposed to others is not indoctrination.

Like · Reply · 1 · 22 hrs

Jerry Weil Probably not my business, but why do you keep this asshole on your friend's list? All I see are nasty comments from him on your posts. And attacking you as a parent? You're a better person than me to put up with that frown emoticon

Like · Reply · 2 · 21 hrs

Howard Scho Jay Sweifach Jay you are 100% correct that there is nothing wrong with teaching kids values, and while I don't agree with yours I respect your right as a parent to teach them. I just find it very strange that you would applaud her failing her assignment. School is for learning, and an important skill is being able to discuss things with others. What better training is there than forcing you to argue in favor of something you oppose. It teaches you two skills at once, seeing the other side of an argument as well as working on being persuasive.

Like · Reply · 1 · 19 hrs · Edited

Bill Accardi One can have values without ignoring the opposite view. 

I am CERTAIN a Sweifach has values.

One an have CERTAINTY when one seeks to understand the view of others, and rules them out logically. without being able to identify what, specifically, we agree to disagree on, we are not entitled to certainty... Even if we have conviction.

Like · Reply · 21 hrs

Jay Sweifach The fact is that I would lose in a debate supporting gun rights as well, perhaps willingly, and it has nothing to do with my knowledge of the topic, and maybe more about making a statement. Given her reputation in class as a stellar student, i expect that she made a clear statement to the class, that although with a reputation of being bright and articulate she couldn't come up with something convincing in this case - and that comes from her values - There is no certainty with values, only subjectivity. Certainty had nothing to do with this. Knowing my daughter, this was her way of poking fun at the gun-ownership side of the debate by making a statement that there is no coherent argument for gun ownership. And if getting a 'bad grade' (which she didn't) is the trade off for standing up for something she believes in, in whatever form that might be, i support that. To me, standing up for something, and making a statement is a far more important 'school lesson' than getting a debate grade.

Like · Reply · 2 · 19 hrs

Howard Scho A school lesson is not the place for making a statement as you put it. It is a place to learn. You did not state what class this was in, but I am guessing it was one where the student's were to be taught how to express themselves and present informat...See More

Like · Reply · 1 · 18 hrs

Bill Accardi I gotta say, I tell my boys that their job in school is to repeat back to the teacher what they want to hear so you can prove you were listening. Whether or not they are right is another question which they SHOULD assess after class. When they go to ...See More

Like · Reply · 18 hrs

Jay Sweifach Sounds like a very boring waste of time - which sums up my high school experience - perhaps because i never opened my mouth other than to spit back what i heard - maybe that's why i walked out mid-stream and never came back.

Like · Reply · 18 hrs

Bill Accardi I don't think so really. Part of growing up I believe IS challenging what we are told is true. But ya gotta drink it in and taste it before you can spit it out. ..

Like · Reply · 16 hrs

Write a reply...

Gerry Yoselevich Howard as soon as I read this post I knew you would liven up the party. Jay glad you guys are still friends. Keep it that way I enjoy my online life very much you should both have a radio show the ratings would be incredible

Unlike · Reply · 2 · 19 hrs

I doubt his daughter is objective about her "position" on firearms.  It's more likely her "values" were crafted by her father and as we all know here... based on ignorance and fear.  Not at all on objectivity.  Teaching a kid to blindly be a good victim is doing that kid a disservice.  And doing that as a parent is a disgrace.

And that this kid could not come up with an argument for gun ownership simply means she didn't properly prepare for the debate.  Not trying to throw insults at this kid, but there is nothing impressive about that.

I'm assuming you are responding to me, but I have to point out that is not an argument for a law.

ok That fair :)

How about a law that requires the government to off set the cost of self defense spending... sorta like obama phones for guns?

ok That fair :)

How about a law that requires the government to off set the cost of self defense spending... sorta like obama phones for guns?

I think you're missing my question.  An argument for that law would show how that benefits the society, not what the law is, but what it's benefits versus costs are.  

For example, NICs is positive because it could keep the some guns out of the hands of bad guys.  The negative is it costs law abiding citizens time and money, and if you aren't a law abiding citizen you'll just get your weapon illegally, negating the benefit I mentioned.