Howard

A screwed up anti-gun liberal NJ parent - ARG!!!

I think you're missing my question.  An argument for that law would show how that benefits the society, not what the law is, but what it's benefits versus costs are.  

For example, NICs is positive because it could keep the some guns out of the hands of bad guys.  The negative is it costs law abiding citizens time and money, and if you aren't a law abiding citizen you'll just get your weapon illegally, negating the benefit I mentioned. 

ok.

NICs is positive because it could keep the some guns out of the hands of bad guys People.  The negative is it costs law abiding citizens time and money, and if you aren't a law abiding citizen you'll just get your weapon illegally, negating the benefit I mentioned.

:)

It's blately clear this parent favors ignorance if it means taking a stand for what he believes in. He is an idiot for thinking the purpose of the assignment had anything to do with a debate actually about guns.

It's evident to anyone with a brain that you need to use deductive reasoning to have a useful debate about anything. It's nice to know his kid will be a failure anytime she has to defend her own position because she can't figure out what she is arguing agaisnt.

Slightly off topic, does anyone have arguments FOR any gun laws that could actually accomplish some benefit to society?  Might be a fun exercise.  

I can come up with some good gun laws.  Make it a crime to fire a shot at another person or into another person in a non-defensive situation.  Punishment 10 years minimum for first offense with no intervention, plea bargain or reduced sentence possible.  Second offense 20 years.  Third offense death.  This removes almost all repeat offenders and should serve as a significant deterrent.  Oh also commit a felony such as armed robbery with a gun gets you a minimum of five years with no reductions as well.

Slightly off topic, does anyone have arguments FOR any gun laws that could actually accomplish some benefit to society?  Might be a fun exercise.  

Had to think about this for a while but I think I got one.

"A: So it shall be that all citizens 18 years of age and older, in good legal standing, shall possess at all times at least one loaded firearm and at their discretion either conceal or openly carry said firearm.  Use of such firearms shall be governed by existing right to self defense laws and carriage of such firearm shall not be restricted in any place other than those enumerated in paragraph B of this section."

B: In accordance with paragraph A of this section, the following locations are restricted and firearms carriage is not permitted except by LEO and designated military personnel.

-Secured Psychiatric Hospital Wards

-Secured areas of municipal, county, state or federal prisons

-NJ Senator Sweeney's front lawn

C: Any citizen may decline to carry a firearm without notice."

Whaddya think?  I'm pretty sure this would be a law that would benefit society.

For any that are interested the "DEBATE" continues......   :)

Jay Sweifach I'd much rather her values be in-tact than her debating skills.

Like · Reply · 2 · 22 hrs

Howard Scho Really? And here I thought kids go to school to learn skills including creative thinking not just to parrot the indoctrination they receive from their parents.

Like · Reply · 1 · 22 hrs

Jay Sweifach Teaching one's children certain values as opposed to others is not indoctrination.

Like · Reply · 1 · 22 hrs

Jerry Weil Probably not my business, but why do you keep this asshole on your friend's list? All I see are nasty comments from him on your posts. And attacking you as a parent? You're a better person than me to put up with that frown emoticon

Like · Reply · 2 · 21 hrs

Howard Scho Jay Sweifach Jay you are 100% correct that there is nothing wrong with teaching kids values, and while I don't agree with yours I respect your right as a parent to teach them. I just find it very strange that you would applaud her failing her assignment. School is for learning, and an important skill is being able to discuss things with others. What better training is there than forcing you to argue in favor of something you oppose. It teaches you two skills at once, seeing the other side of an argument as well as working on being persuasive.

Like · Reply · 1 · 19 hrs · Edited

Bill Accardi One can have values without ignoring the opposite view. 

I am CERTAIN a Sweifach has values.

One an have CERTAINTY when one seeks to understand the view of others, and rules them out logically. without being able to identify what, specifically, we agree to disagree on, we are not entitled to certainty... Even if we have conviction.

Like · Reply · 21 hrs

Jay Sweifach The fact is that I would lose in a debate supporting gun rights as well, perhaps willingly, and it has nothing to do with my knowledge of the topic, and maybe more about making a statement. Given her reputation in class as a stellar student, i expect that she made a clear statement to the class, that although with a reputation of being bright and articulate she couldn't come up with something convincing in this case - and that comes from her values - There is no certainty with values, only subjectivity. Certainty had nothing to do with this. Knowing my daughter, this was her way of poking fun at the gun-ownership side of the debate by making a statement that there is no coherent argument for gun ownership. And if getting a 'bad grade' (which she didn't) is the trade off for standing up for something she believes in, in whatever form that might be, i support that. To me, standing up for something, and making a statement is a far more important 'school lesson' than getting a debate grade.

Like · Reply · 2 · 19 hrs

Howard Scho A school lesson is not the place for making a statement as you put it. It is a place to learn. You did not state what class this was in, but I am guessing it was one where the student's were to be taught how to express themselves and present informat...See More

Like · Reply · 1 · 18 hrs

Bill Accardi I gotta say, I tell my boys that their job in school is to repeat back to the teacher what they want to hear so you can prove you were listening. Whether or not they are right is another question which they SHOULD assess after class. When they go to ...See More

Like · Reply · 18 hrs

Jay Sweifach Sounds like a very boring waste of time - which sums up my high school experience - perhaps because i never opened my mouth other than to spit back what i heard - maybe that's why i walked out mid-stream and never came back.

Like · Reply · 18 hrs

Bill Accardi I don't think so really. Part of growing up I believe IS challenging what we are told is true. But ya gotta drink it in and taste it before you can spit it out. ..

Like · Reply · 16 hrs

Write a reply...

Gerry Yoselevich Howard as soon as I read this post I knew you would liven up the party. Jay glad you guys are still friends. Keep it that way I enjoy my online life very much you should both have a radio show the ratings would be incredible

Unlike · Reply · 2 · 19 hrs

Reading this makes me glad my wife and I decided to not have children. I can imagine the grief I would have to put up with when my kid went to school wearing an RTSP shirt.

Great. You guys support NICS. Getting permission from the government before you can exercise your Second Amendment....ummm...I need a new word here?

BTW, NICS has only been around about 20 years, and government studies have concluded they can not discern any reduction of crime due to NICS since it was implemented.

• Like 1

I don't really have a problem with this guys line of thinking. How many people would be pissed if their kids came home with an assignment debating the positives of sharia law in society. Parents would flip out. I'm not saying gun ownership is like sharia law but the topic is as polarizing

I don't really have a problem with this guys line of thinking. How many people would be pissed if their kids came home with an assignment debating the positives of sharia law in society. Parents would flip out. I'm not saying gun ownership is like sharia law but the topic is as polarizing

kinda on topic here...

I had an assignment in high school called the "Opressive Ruler Tournament" where we each had to advocate that our historical character was the most evil. I was assigned Ghengis Khan. My presentation made Hitler look like a Rabbi.

The point is that you need to be open to thought in order to think and debate. You could argue that Sharia law would eliminate adulatory and petty theft while solving the prison population issue.

Actually the teacher must be a F'ing Demotard because he said she actually did not get a bad grade :(

Nobody fails today. Someones feelings might get hurt.

That would be a toughie.  I'd probably come out as a sadist defending it. And this post will probably be deleted anyway...

This may be offensive to some.

Just to think of the positives.

Health benefit of no alcohol or tobacco. Sharia law will kill you faster then either.

No more crime.  Thieves have their hands and feet from opposite sides cut off.  And possibly crucified as well.  If not dead, the thief is easily identified in the future.

No need to worry about your young daughters,  They will primarily stay indoors and if they go out they will be covered head to toe and be accompanied by parents or direct family, so no one gawking at them.  They will also be married off by their early teens, so whey will not be a financial strain on your for long and you will get a dowry, making you money.

Your children will behave.  If they sneak out and do something wrong the Islamic Religious Police will have them stoned to death.  No need for you to discipline them,

Rape is a thing of the past, if any female wanders off on her own and gets raped she will be stoned to death for adultery or sex out of marriage.  It will never happen again.

There will no longer be any religious conflicts, A percentage of money you give to the mosque ( zakat ) will be used for Jihad to spread your religion on the world as Sharia is to be the only religion of the world.

Make money taxing ( jizya )  the the Christians, Jews and other non believers living in your community.

For the debate I'd back up each statement with quotes from the koran and news articles.  ( unfortunately these are far too easy to find. )

Rape is a thing of the past, if any female wanders off on her own and gets raped she will be stoned to death for adultery or sex out of marriage.  It will never happen again.

So rape wouldn't necessarily end, it would just be resolved by killing the victim.... seems legit. /sarc

I made my last post before I even saw this one.  Go figure.

Anyway.  Sharia and the Constitution are topics of a different nature.  If the 2nd Amendment is as polarizing as Sharia Law....  our problem here in 'Murica.... is possibly bigger than we may believe.    I don't buy into the moral equivalence.  I understand your point, but in this case... in America.... there is a difference.

I made my last post before I even saw this one. Go figure.

Anyway. Sharia and the Constitution are topics of a different nature. If the 2nd Amendment is as polarizing as Sharia Law.... our problem here in 'Murica.... is possibly bigger than we may believe. I don't buy into the moral equivalence. I understand your point, but in this case... in America.... there is a difference.

The 2nd amendment is probably more polarizing than sharia law in America.