Sign in to follow this  
George79

First Custom Build. Looking for Input.

So now that I have two kids (boy and girl) both my wife and I are done having babies. She's harassing me to go get snipped. Ok fine, well I'm gonna build me a rifle. Been doing a lot of research and here's a list of parts I want to start ordering. I would like any input you guys might have being this is my first one. I'm not definite on caliber but it's bt the .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Stiller Predator action

Jewel trigger

Brux SS barrel #5 contour with hybrid flutes

5/8x24 threads for suppressor or muzzle device (1:10 twist / 20" for .308 or 1:8 twist / 24" for 6.5 CM)

Manners MCS-TA stock in OD Green with DBM magazine mini-chassis

Badger Ordnance Bipod Accessory Rail

Atlas bipod (BT10-LW17)

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP

Cerakote colors will be coyote, black, OD green in a Kryptek pattern

Please if there's any forums out there that you would recommend me signing up let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello George,

Have you picked out a smith yet for the build? That is where I would start with looking at parts. I have a few builds, two on Surgeon actions and one on a trued Remmy. All run flawlessly. I have 2 in .308 and one in 6.5x47.

What is the planned distance? If just NJ and 300 yards a .308 will do all you ever need. If you are going to stretch it out to 1000 or so then I would go the 6.5 flavor, but again a good smith will be very helpful in his advise.

PM NJBullseye on here as he is a very knowledgeable person when it comes to precision shooting. 

I would also look into taking some precision shooting classes before you develop bad habits :).

Hope this helps,

Jimmy

• Like 1

Hello George,

Have you picked out a smith yet for the build? That is where I would start with looking at parts. I have a few builds, two on Surgeon actions and one on a trued Remmy. All run flawlessly. I have 2 in .308 and one in 6.5x47.

What is the planned distance? If just NJ and 300 yards a .308 will do all you ever need. If you are going to stretch it out to 1000 or so then I would go the 6.5 flavor, but again a good smith will be very helpful in his advise.

PM NJBullseye on here as he is a very knowledgeable person when it comes to precision shooting.

I would also look into taking some precision shooting classes before you develop bad habits :).

Hope this helps,

Jimmy

I haven't picked a smith yet. I'm not looking for to far a distance in the near future but I'll probably be moving to the Carolinas in a few years. Once the kids are older I'll be taking long range hunting trips. I'm leaning towards the 6.5 because it's something different and I like the longer distance accuracy.

Wasn't sure if I should start ordering all the parts or if that's the smiths job. Do I just tell him what I want and let him have at it? Or is there's just certain parts I need a smith for cause hell, I figured a custom build should be something I put my time into.

Thanks

George

I haven't picked a smith yet. I'm not looking for to far a distance in the near future but I'll probably be moving to the Carolinas in a few years. Once the kids are older I'll be taking long range hunting trips. I'm leaning towards the 6.5 because it's something different and I like the longer distance accuracy.

Wasn't sure if I should start ordering all the parts or if that's the smiths job. Do I just tell him what I want and let him have at it? Or is there's just certain parts I need a smith for cause hell, I figured a custom build should be something I put my time into.

Thanks

George

When you pick a smith, they might have some of the parts in stock already and that will save you time. It is not uncommon to have some smiths take 6-9 months to build a custom rifle. I have had actions and a stock that I sent to them and they supplied the rest. I also just prefer old Remington triggers that the smiths smooth out to about 2-2.5 lbs. 

I like where you're headed on your build.  My next will be a trued Remmy long action for a short action caliber.  I've got time for that tho.

Do you handload?  Or, do you not want to devote the time to it and will stick to factory?  

What are you planning on hunting?  At what distance?  

As far as smith's go, give "Tier 1 Defense" a call.  Mike is a very talented builder.  He did a lot of the work on my 6.5 and I am thrilled with the way it came out.

Only thing I might say to re-consider with your build is instead of going with a 5/8-24 thread, go with a 3/4-24.  Surefire makes a break that fits that thread pitch and you can then thread their can onto that(once your in a place where that's allowed, of course.).  

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/04/muzzle-threading-dont-remove-too-much-steel/

Good luck with it.

I’ll second Tier 1 Defense/Mike.  Mike did  a great job on my custom 700 6.5 Creedmoor.  I have pics on the forum.  High points on the work, as well as customer communication.  Located in Mountainside, NJ it’s gonna be a bit of a ride, BUT… no need to mail your gun parts.

As far as .308 vs 6.5c, I honestly cannot think of a single compelling reason for me to go from 6.5c back to a 308.  The 6.5c just makes everything easier, for the same money.  Oh, the only significant advantage the 308 has is barrel life.  Then again, that isn’t always a compelling argument.

As far as your parts list, everything listed is a high quality part.  Some of your choices wouldn’t be my choices but that doesn’t mean you won’t have a good shooting gun.

The only item that jumped out at me was the Vortex Viper PST glass.  While it’s a very good piece, it has some shortcomings as a long range scope (past 800 yds).  Even at other ranges, the glass quality doesn’t compare to, say, a Gen I Razor, which you can buy for about $600- $800 more.