Luckydad

Is benchmade worth it?

I have found that with knives (as most other things) you get what you pay for.  Benchmade makes great knives made of premium steel and you pay for it.  If you want a less expensive but still good quality blade look at the american made offerings of Kershaw, Spyderco, and CRKT.  You should also look up the different steel types used in different blades to determine what suits your needs best.  Once you go over $100 your options increase greatly.  

I just got a NIB Benchmade Adamas for $100 and I am pinching myself.  Should be here tomorrow.

• Like 1

I have found that with knives (as most other things) you get what you pay for. Benchmade makes great knives made of premium steel and you pay for it. If you want a less expensive but still good quality blade look at the american made offerings of Kershaw, Spyderco, and CRKT. You should also look up the different steel types used in different blades to determine what suits your needs best. Once you go over $100 your options increase greatly.

I just got a NIB Benchmade Adamas for $100 and I am pinching myself. Should be here tomorrow.

wow great steal! I need an all around blade. I always find myself last miNute digging with it, cutting, chopping, etc. just something that can take the abuse. Benchmade is just too pretty and expensive for me to do that to it. I will look up the other brands. thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Benchmade makes some hard use knives bit for the money I've found zero tolerance and emerson to be the best beefy knives in the 100-300 range

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i see emersons for like 400. way too rich for me.

i see emersons for like 400. way too rich for me.

That's nuts they are all basically $200 give or take. I have the sheepdog rangemaster it was $230 I think and I wouldn't hesitate to do any of the task you've said because I've done most of them with that and my zt 0562cf with m390 blade

That's nuts they are all basically $200 give or take. I have the sheepdog rangemaster it was $230 I think and I wouldn't hesitate to do any of the task you've said because I've done most of them with that and my zt 0562cf with m390 blade

you have a site for them? they look Nice and mean. yeh im finding them on random sites fot 3-4

If you live near Fairfield NJ Check out Cutlery Mania. They have Benchmade, ZT, Ka-Bar, Spyderco, Kershaw and others. I have 3 benchmade's that I love, a great light one is the Pardue. $100 and you never even know it's in your suit pants. I also have ZT 0770CF that is super sweet. And then I have some sweet Spyderco paramilitarys. They are all great but have different plus and minus. Also another added value with Benchmade is a new blade is $35. So you can beat like i have and then get it replaced and tuned for $35. 

Cutlery Mania also charges $4 to sharpen a knife so the sharpen for life thing doesn't really matter because it costs me $6.50 to ship it to the manufacture to sharpen. I'd rather drop of on Monday and pick up on Tuesday for $4. 

http://www.cutlerymania.com/Default.asp and if you buy in store you save 10% off interweb pricing. They have 1000's of knives. I shop for them while I wait on pistol permits.

awesome! thats not far from me at all! good luck with yout permit! mine is in the shitter. i gotta get a lawyer and the whole 9. mofos.

my first EDC knife was a HK Soldat (cheapest Benchmade HK made in the USA), and it has never failed me.  I do have an ESEE-5 for camping, and now several EDC knives, ranging from a Kershaw Shuffle, to my current Emerson/PDW Specwar.  Like was stated before, you get what you pay for, but to answer your question, yes, US made Benchmades, in my experience, are solid.

• Like 1

I've had and have numerous folders from many differeent brands. My EDC rotates between a Cold Steel American Lawman, Boker Trance, Spyderco Endura, Strider (forget the model/name), and a Benchmade Rukus. Andrew Demko/Cold Steels's Triad lock is the best folding blade locking method IMO.

Regarding Emerson...I'll never buy another. I won't bore with a long story... I bought a CQC-14, new. Within a few days I noticed the liner lock would disengage easily. No stupid batoning or using it as a hammer, etc. I contacted and sent it back to Emerson.... Week later I get it back with note saying lock was fixed. Well, same faulty lock exists. I contacted and sent it back to them again. Got it back a week later. Same problem. I asked them for a refund. Never got an answer. There's plenty of other brands with quality knives and great customer service.

• Like 1

My first emerson a cqc7 was total crap. I gave them another shot and bought one brand new the sheepdog model and it took breaking in but it's one of my favorite hard use that actually gets used hard knife

Yes. Benchmade is worth it. I have 2 now(Mini Griptilian and North Fork) and they are my favorite knives. The Axis lock is incredible. I have a Spyderco Manix 2 lightweight that is pretty sweet but it didn't come near as sharp as my Benchmades did. Kershaw makes some nice knives that come come wicked sharp also.

Good knives are not cheep and cheep knives are not good. Having said that you can find some values with short run and semi custom manufacturers that are trying to make a name for themselves. Personally I am not a benchmade fan. I use and abuse my EDC knives. I carry a Buck Stockman (US made) or a Boker (similar to stockman) (German). Hunting knives are mostly no name Solingen stamped blades.