dwheel

Home defense ammo

dumb question. what's the difference between critical duty and critical defensew?

Critical Defense is made for shorter barrel, concealed carry guns.  Critical Duty is for longer barrel, full-size guns.  Basically the critical duty has more oomph behind it.  The bullet heads themselves are the same FTX bullets, but at different weights.  Critical defense 9mm is generally 115gr, though it comes in the 100gr "lite" form as well.  Critical duty is 135gr and can also be found in 9mm +P.

• Like 1

Any love for Glaser Safety Slugs when there are other occupied bedrooms on the other side of the sheetrock?

They've been almost impossible to find in recent years, but other than that...

Ehhhhhhhhhh..... Not so much.

There are definitely a range of choices that run from completely terrible to very excellent for HD ammo in a rifle.

yea, I know. but if shit's going so south I need to be sending 2.23/5.56 rounds down range to stops threats, I don't think fancy HP's are what I'm really needing at that point, and more likely just quantity over quality.

What makes your choice of rifle ammo any less important than your choice of pistol ammo for HD? If you have to send anything downrange to stop a threat does it matter if it's rifle or pistol? Ammo selection is just as important for both.

Personally, an AR is my primary "bump in the night" gun.

If I am giving someone the bees, I want to make sure that the ammo I have will perform the best way possible in my house ie: best terminal effects on target when I hit, with the least amount of energy retained after passing through walls if I miss.

Precise fire that hits a threat is much more effective than spray and pray all around your threat. I'd rather get two hits that work than 20 misses that go God knows where.

What makes your choice of rifle ammo any less important than your choice of pistol ammo for HD? If you have to send anything downrange to stop a threat does it matter if it's rifle or pistol? Ammo selection is just as important for both.

Personally, an AR is my primary "bump in the night" gun.

If I am giving someone the bees, I want to make sure that the ammo I have will perform the best way possible in my house ie: best terminal effects on target when I hit, with the least amount of energy retained after passing through walls if I miss.

Precise fire that hits a threat is much more effective than spray and pray all around your threat. I'd rather get two hits that work than 20 misses that go God knows where.

Something like Winchester Super-X Power Point?

Wouldn't rounds still be going through a lot of drywall if you miss? I never tested how different cartridges penetrate drywall. Probably worth doing at the range.

Something like Winchester Super-X Power Point?

Wouldn't rounds still be going through a lot of drywall if you miss? I never tested how different cartridges penetrate drywall. Probably worth doing at the range.

Rifle rounds dump energy in building materials much more efficiently than handgun rounds which tend to retain their energy therefore rifle rounds tend to exhibit less penetration in common building materials than handgun or shotgun rounds.

Rifle rounds dump energy in building materials much more efficiently than handgun rounds which tend to retain their energy therefore rifle rounds tend to exhibit less penetration in common building materials than handgun or shotgun rounds.

Interesting. Wouldn't have expected that. Thanks.

Will have to conduct some informal tests at the range. May have to go to Ft. Dix. Don't believe CJ allows that stuff on the range. If I find the time to do it, I'll post some pictures and data.

For HD, I have two mags loaded with Federal Guard Dog for my Glock 19. Expands but is fully jacketed. Also have Critical Duty and Defense on hand.

Have you seen the expansion tests for federal guard dog?  Doesn't expand much at all.  They used to make Federal EFMJ which had more power behind it than Guard Dog...  I would go with Critical Defense/Duty over Guard Dog.

• Like 1