ymg200

Is it legal to shoot air gun in the basement?

I know, it sounds stupid, but hey, we live in NJ.

I know that an air gun (.177) is considered a FIREarm in this state. I don't know where they pulled the FIRE from, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

My house is in the residential area. Are there any laws against discharging an air gun in my basement?

Thank you all.

Have fun and stay safe!

I believe that if your municipality has an ordinance against discharging firesarms, then it applies to "in your house" also. You can't have cocaine in your house can you?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Air gun huh. Is your basement out in the open where neighbors can easily see you through windows? Will the air gun make a loud BANG when fired like if you were shooting a .22 using quiet ammunition? If you fire off a round, is it loud enough that a neighbor or someone will hear you from the street?

• Like 2

High Schools around the country have ROTC units that regularly engage in Air Rifle competition. Most of these "shoots" are held inside the school.

At our particular school we closed off half the lunch room to use for our 33' range.

Now, according the the state of new jersey, air guns are considered firearms.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/airgun_faq.pdf

So maybe for all those years past and present our teams were shooting illegally. As well as my daughter. When she was in high school (NJROTC) I had a 33' range in my basement for her to practice.

Good grief, Assault weapon air rifles

http://www.nj2as.com/Resources/PDF/AirRifle2013.pdf

NJ has as we know some pretty crazy laws. If the air gun shoots a projectile that is greater than 3/8" and less than 60 caliber then it is not considered a firearm.

Also make sure they are not "too quiet" as it might be considered to have an integral suppressor.

• Like 1

Lalo, I like your GIF.

High Schools around the country have ROTC units that regularly engage in Air Rifle competition. Most of these "shoots" are held inside the school.

I don't know about ROTC or air guns but we have rifle teams and some shoot inside the school.

This is one of those situations where you keep you mouth shut.

^^^^^

My brother and I did when we were kids.  We shot a daisy across the basement, into an old hanging sheet.  We also brought the bottom end of the sheet up a little, too, to catch the bb's so we could shoot em again!

And we DIDNT shoot our eye out with it, either!

• Like 2

Thank you all for the input.

The reason I asked is that I want to teach my kid shooting and I want to do it in a legal way. My kid is 7, but Cherry Ridge range only allows 10 and up.

What are my other options?

I shot air rifles in my basement all the time. I even open my basement door and shot from the inside out. I can also shoot air rifles in my backyard though because there is not a no discharge law in my town. Honestly if there was a no discharge law I would still shoot my air rifle in my basement

I believe that if your municipality has an ordinance against discharging firesarms, then it applies to "in your house" also.

We have a similar ordinence in our township that states something about no discharging firearms without the consent of the Chief, but I hear target practice on many, many weekends. I'd venture to those properties to ask for the permission documents, but most of those folks have a lot of land and backhoes. Right, Golf?

Ive never had anyone stop by. I guess theyd have to if someone complained. My response would be that its my tractor back firing. And im pretty sure their response would be just knock it off because someone complained and have a good day. Theres plenty of lead in them thar berms.

• Like 1

Keep a Powder-actuated nail gun handy.

But seriously, no one is going to hear an air gun in your basement.

Just don't go shooting your eye out with that red ryder, the hospital will report it as a firearms accident.

I may visit some friends in Jersey soon. Can I clip my toenails in their basement? Or do I have to go to a salon?

You need to go to a salon but first you must obtain an P2C. You can only bet one foot clipped in a week but the P2C is good for 2 weeks if the issuing authority will extend it. If not you must reapply for another P2C.

• Like 1

I respect that you want to teach your kid the right thing. I shot CO2 guns in my mom's basement as a kid and my kids shot them in my basement. Never occurred to me to ask anyone's permission, but these are different times, I suppose. The culture has become "Before you do anything new or different, check with the authorities to see if you are allowed". This applies to:

• Throwing a frisbee on a beach (not allowed)
  • Smoking outdoors in an public park (not allowed)
  • Flying a toy drone or launching a model rocket (not allowed)
  • Playing fetch with your unleashed dog (not allowed)
  • Riding a bicycle or a motorcycle without a helmet (not allowed)
  • Installing a toilet with a 5-gal flush (not allowed)

Where does it end?

Thank you all for the input.

The reason I asked is that I want to teach my kid shooting and I want to do it in a legal way. My kid is 7, but Cherry Ridge range only allows 10 and up.

What are my other options?

Gun for hire allows kids age 8 and up to shoot rifles with parent supervsion. Some of the private clubs have in the past had junior leagues for kids as young as 6. Look around. Others have your problem too and have solved it.

Mine was a break barrel spring powered and was pretty damn loud. Shot it once in my mothers yard and said holy fuck, bad idea and put that thing away FAST. Been sitting there since... Haha
I would suggest you get a spring powered airsoft gun. It is 100% Silent, and i used to shoot airsoft and paintball all the time in the yard, as well as my bow occasionally. No issues in 10+ Years, and thats in East Brunswick NJ.
So, i would certainly suggest an airsoft gun. Even a cheap spring one, just to learn the basics.

"If a bullet flies in a basement, and no one hears it, did a gun shoot?"

^ the only information the OP needs to know....

The OP needs to teach his kids that some laws are merely political flatulence committed to paper and are best ignored as much as possible, without taunting the piggly wiggly.