ymg200

Is it legal to shoot air gun in the basement?

Only at camp.

Just to clarify, it needs to be at one of the cub scout camps but you can shoot year round for a small fee with your pack. Our pack went a few months ago on a Saturday. They sometimes shoot at cubelos and other cub scout events as well. I just didn't want anyone to think it was only if you went to summer camp.

How would they know you were shooting in the basement..

I have heard of people (who shall remain nameless) shooting .22 (non powdered rounds) in a basement range.

Really? I have never heard of such a thing. It's impossible! I would never have thought this could be done. Even if I did I would never try it myself, despite holding a decent stash of said rounds. 

Viva Aguila !!

• Like 1

Just to clarify, it needs to be at one of the cub scout camps but you can shoot year round for a small fee with your pack. Our pack went a few months ago on a Saturday. They sometimes shoot at cubelos and other cub scout events as well. I just didn't want anyone to think it was only if you went to summer camp.

That's good to know. Which council and camp was this? Do they require someone have NRA instructor cert?

Really? I have never heard of such a thing. It's impossible! I would never have thought this could be done. Even if I did I would never try it myself, despite holding a decent stash of said rounds.

Viva Aguila !!

I too have never thought of this. Ever. Not even once.

That's good to know. Which council and camp was this? Do they require someone have NRA instructor cert?

Camp Allamuchy, our council is Patriots path. You can check the Allamuchy site for different events (we did maple sugaring there about a month ago, the kids loved it) and sign up for what's available as a pack. No need to be certified, they provide an instructor as part of the program. Tom Stoddard is the guy that runs the programs.

https://ppcbsa.org/camping/weekend/

NJ has as we know some pretty crazy laws. If the air gun shoots a projectile that is greater than 3/8" and less than 60 caliber then it is not considered a firearm.

Also make sure they are not "too quiet" as it might be considered to have an integral suppressor.

I thought I remembered there being a law against slingshots in Joisey too. A plain ol' glass marble is bigger than 3/8 inch, does that mean it's also considered a "firearm"?

Not a firearm but a prohibited weapon:

2C:39-3

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

btw: According to Nappan it wasn't supposed to be in that law but they typed slingshot instead of slungshot!

Not a firearm but a prohibited weapon:

2C:39-3

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

btw: According to Nappan it wasn't supposed to be in that law but they typed slingshot instead of slungshot!

BUT.....As long as one can explain why he possesses it, such as a "collector", it is legal to have.

9 minutes ago, Jerry Spooner said:

60 YEARS AGO I USED TO FIRE MY 22 IN THE BASEMENT WITH NO PROBLEMS  TILL ONE DAY I FIRED MY 12 GAUGE WELL AFTER MY MOTHER RECOVERED I HAD TO PROMISE NEVER TO DO THAT AGAIN  BUT AT LEAST WE GOT RID OF 100 YEARS OF DUST FROM THE BEAMS

download.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3