fslater

Vertical Level Scope

Hi Folks

This is the deal. I'm mounting a scope (first time), Bushnell Banner 6-24 x 40, Leupold rings, PSA AR flat top upper. The horizontal level is a no brainer, level the rifle Horizontal and vertical. Rotate the scope till a level across the turret is level.

Now to my problem. When I turn the level on the turret so its parallel to the rifle (length wise/front to back) with a level on the rail and free float handguard tube and barrel, they all show level to each other. But when I put the level on the turret (parallel to the barrel) or the scope tube itself, its not level to everything else. So here's the questions. Is this normal/built into the scope for its geometry? If no, when the elevation turret is adjusted does it move the cross hairs up and down on an axis thus correcting this or are they moving up and down on a flat plane thus keeping it off level. If it is the flat plane scenario thus not correcting the problem, will shimming the bottom of the scope ring fix it?

Like I said, this is my first scope mount and I'm pretty ignorant as to weather there's vertical geometry built in that requires this or it needs to be addressed

Here's what you do...

Of course you are only worried about the horizontal crosshair.

Level the rail (the rifle side to side)

Level the cross hair

Run the crosshair (elevation knob) up or down 20 minimum clicks (or as much as you have) confirm horizontal.

Repeat until you have horizontal in both positions.

Many folks level off the turret or cap.

This way you're sure.

I use a laser bore sighter but Blue painters tape on the wall works fine.

hey fslater, this is my favorite mounting video, i use a modified version of this that I have come up with over the years but this will give you a great starting point (IMO). Also what they don't do in this video that i do is use a piece of 1" ground shaft (depends on scope tube size) in my rings and then i level that vertically just to make sure that the rings are sitting at the same height. Let me know if i can help more.

IMG_3196_zpsd0exlyjq.jpg

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/vmastro87/embed/slideshow/GUN%20VIDEOS/GUN%20LEVELING"></iframe>

http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/mounting_a_precision_riflescope

Thanks Old School, but I think vmastro got more the idea of my problem..... I'm good on the horizontal part..... My thing is my scopes not level vertical/front to back. That video I had already found and it shows him leveling vertical/front to back, but doesn't say what the fix is if its off?...... When I do it barrel, handguard, and rail, they are all on level with each other. But the scope is off, leveling from the turret and the tube itself...... Scope and rings are both pretty much quality parts and I don't know which is causing it to be off..... So what's the fix? Only thing I can think of is shimming the bottom of the ring on the low side..... Is that what gunsmith would do or is there a more proper way? 

BTW  you say a 1 inch ground shaft works good and I'm sure it does, but like a said above my scope is 6-24 (I'm hoping to do 4-5 hundred yard shots once I get it set up). It's 16 inches long so I have enough room to put the level right on the tube itself when it sits in the rings

Fsalter I can tell you that if you have the leuopold steel rings they are extremely precise. I am a machinist by trade and I measured them at work on an optical mwahsirng machine and I was highly impressed by the accuracy. That being said I don't believe u would find enough fluctuation to show on a standard level. I suggest the 1 inch steel so you have a "constant" you remove the variable of the scope tube from the problem. If you can't get one I may be able to help you but either way you could check each scope ring on its top plane against the rifles vertical level( without the upper half of the rings on) . And then you could rule out the rings. Also check to make sure with the rings off that both seat well freely against the tube. It's always possible it's not sitting flush . Do you have a any pics of the setup with the levels? Also I don't think shimming would be suggested. You want All the bite you can get from the dovetail so the rings aren't coming loose while firing.