mipafox

Will cellphone use while walking be banned in N.J.?

You may soon have to stand still while using your cell in Jersey.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20160326_Will_cellphone_use_while_walking_be_banned_in_N_J__.html

A bill proposed this week by Assemblywoman Pamela R. Lampitt (D., Camden) would impose a fine of up to $50 and possibly 15 days in jail for pedestrians caught using their cellphones without hands-free devices while walking on public sidewalks and along roadways.

Anybody know if this has any legs?

That's the first I heard that it would be on sidewalks. When I read about it last week it was just while crossing the road or in a crosswalk. Either way it's ridiculous. The only thing I can think of is it gives law enforcement an option if some jack wagon walks out in front of traffic. Yeah, they have a right of way but sometimes there is nothing a driver can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the first I heard that it would be on sidewalks. When I read about it last week it was just while crossing the road or in a crosswalk. Either way it's ridiculous. The only thing I can think of is it gives law enforcement an option if some jack wagon walks out in front of traffic. Yeah, they have a right of way but sometimes there is nothing a driver can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This state is completely fucked.  I hope this bill passes.  It will be the last nail in the coffin for a lot of individuals and I hope they get up and get out.

• Like 1

Assemblywoman Lampitt, wanna guess her party affiliation?  If you guess 'D', you win!  Punishable by $50 fine and/or 15 days in jail.  Great way to lower the FID owners!  They get them anyway they can. 

What ever happen to let nature take it's course through natural selection.  We are saving way to many stupid people and thus reducing the effectiveness of the gene pool, stupid people shouldn't breed, period.

just add it to the list:

Dumb Laws in New Jersey
Drivers must warn those who they pass on highways before they do so.
Spray paint may not be sold without a posted sign warning juveliles of the penalty for creating graffiti.
Handcuffs may not be sold to minors.
All motorists must honk before passing another car, bicyclist, skater, and even a skateboarder.
It is illegal to wear a bullet-proof vest while committing a murder.
One must yield a phone line to a person if it is an emergency.
You cannot pump your own gas.
It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.
It is against the law to “frown” at a police officer.
In an attempt to “foster kindness” in the citizens of New Jersey, the month of May is designated “Kindness Awareness Month”.
If you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated, you may never again apply for personalized license plates.
The third Thursday of October is designated as “New Jersey Credit Union Day” and citizens of the state should observe the day with “appropriate activities and programs”.
Car dealerships are forbidden from opening on Sunday.
You may not slurp your soup.
Automobiles are not to pass horse drawn carriages on the street.
It is illegal to delay or detain a homing pigeon.
City Laws in New Jersey
Bernards Township
It is illegal to frown as the town is a “Frown-Free Town Zone”.
Blairstown
Shooting ranges are outlawed.
No street-side trees may be planted that “obscure the air”.
It is illegal to throw ashes on the sidewalk.

This is what happens when the only measure of a successful political office is the number of bills they've sponsored.

Couldn’t agree more with you but anything else would require them to actually do something. Instead the NJ legislator’s method of operation is to dick around with pointless shit like this and create more infringement on the 2A which in their minds gives the perception that they are doing something. It’s all self-serving.

they wast tax dollars debating this !!

Mean while i cant get a pot hole in front of my house fixed properly for the past 3 years.

Don't worry about the dollars spent debating. Worry about the dollars they will spend housing someone for two weeks in the county lockup at our expense for talking on the phone.

Nanny state.

At $50 its not worth the time to write them up.

The fine will have be be brought in line with texting / using a hand held device while driving.  $200-$400 range for 1st time.

Although the driving offenses do not have jail time, mainly just major escalations in the fine 3rd time is $600-$800, 3 points and possible 90 day suspension.

Its all about the money safety.

While I agree that this is ridiculous. There has been a spike in pedestrian related accidents due to cell phone distractions. It won't stop tgenproblem just like people still talk and text while driving. I can be used as PC for a stop in order to ID a subject or check for evidence of a crime. I can see it used a lot in high crime areas as a means to stop and frisk

Will I still be able to buy multiple cell phones at once, or will they be limited to one every thirty days?  What about high capacity contracts?  When will New Jermany cut out this crap?  :(

• Like 1

These people sit in closed rooms and spend their days trying to come up with new laws they can pass to make more things illegal here. I know how hard it must be because almost everything is illegal here in NJ already.....just wondering when the folks in this state will realize what a bunch of fools they are....constantly being told when, where, how much it's going to cost and what the penalties are to do anything in this state by their elected officials...it's delusional, no wonder most folks are moving and being replaced by foriegners.