Rob0115

Why move to Florida?

Reasonably priced housing, low property tax, 0 income tax and here's what you do in March.

image_zps5g04pk10.jpeg

Just got done barbecuing my lunch and I have a pistol packed in my shorts. When I go back in the water I'll stuff it in the glove box. Oh, and on the way home, I'm going to make an unconscionable number of non- necessary deviations.

• Like 1

Plus higher costs for basics/food/gas/utilities. Fire ants so you cant enjoy a walk on your own grass. Roaches in every building from Mansions to the small shacks. A very crappy healthcare system, a crappy school system. I was there for 11 years, yes there are things I miss, but the con's outweigh the pro's (2nd amendment aside)

Plus higher costs for basics/food/gas/utilities. Fire ants so you cant enjoy a walk on your own grass. Roaches in every building from Mansions to the small shacks. A very crappy healthcare system, a crappy school system. I was there for 11 years, yes there are things I miss, but the con's outweigh the pro's (2nd amendment aside)

I guess it all depends on the area. My brother moved down to the Gulf coast about 12 years ago. Less bugs than his East Brunswick condo, better school programs for their special needs child, better healthcare system (he is an ER nurse, up here they pay low and have been reducing headcount, down there you still get a real nurse), some fields pay better as he was able to afford a real 4 bedroom home. There are many parts of the country that are growing.

I love FL to visit but a warm winter with no snow, Christmas lights on green trees, no fall foliage, no mountians to hike, have to mow the lawn 52 weeks a year and so on. I almost moved to west Palm beach years ago and I'm happy I did not. I would not like to live there year round.

Let's address these as I am sure some are location dependent.  I've seen no more evidence of fire ants and roaches here than in NJ.  I have fire ants on my patio around my pool in NJ on occasion.  I am yet to experience them here.  The food I find to be the same and utilities I have noticed much of a difference.  Fuel, which may effect utilities is more, NJ is the second cheapest state, behind Alaska,  on this one item.  It's all based the tax, this is the only low tax in NJ which, given the disrepair of the roads, will go up.  Side note, NJ ranks dead last in cost per mile to maintain a road 1mm bucks!  Mass is second worst at 667k per mile.  NJ is 50 % more than the next worst state.  Road funding is completely based off tolls and the gas tax.  It'll get there, give it time and the next democrat governor.  

However, I can fully fund my additional fuel costs with the difference in property taxes when I sell my house.  I pay well over 40k in Montville and I pay less than 3k in FL.  The top income tax rate in NJ is 8.97%, after a few years under Corzine of being 10.97%, and the democrats lead by Weinberg want to permanently amend the tax code to 10.97% top tax bracket.  Guess where NJ ranks on tax friendliness?  Last.  

The University system is on par with NJ.  NJ gets great benefit from hosting Princeton, but if you only go public UF ranks much higher than Rutgers.  In fact US news ranked UF the same as Penn State at #47.  Rutgers ranks 72nd.

As for primary education it is highly location dependent.  The NJEA will always tell you NJ is #1 (sometimes it is true but not last year), but at what cost?  The Abbott funding formula pumps over 6 of the 8.5 billion in school aid into only 31 of the 582 school districts.  If you've never heard of the Abbott ruling, the single biggest rip off in tax payer history, google it and be amazed.  The primary schools aren't important to me because my kids are college aged.  The tawniest suburban districts are net outflow on school aid.  

However, here is the US News state public education rankings:  http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/articles/how-states-compare

It shows Florida to be above NJ.  I am sure there are others that contradict but US News is considered one of the better sources of information on school rankings.  

As for health care Florida does rank 41th but NJ only ranks in the next quartile at 33td.  Since I still have a home in NJ and NYC I generally use the medical in NYC.  

I lived in NJ full time for 48 years, and still do part time, and love it there.  I'm not dissing at all, the original post was just tongue and cheek for some fun is all, cause I know the weather is bad today.  However, you forced me to do some analysis and maybe there's more to it than I thought.  

Massive tropical storms, etc. No thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amelia Island hasn't had  a hurricane make landfall since 1964 (knock on wood).  How have we done in NJ over the last 5 years?  Irene, Sandy?  How about that Noreaster snow storm in mid-Feb?

• Like 1

HUMIDITY!!!! YUCK

OK, I can't argue that one.  And AZ is the most gun friendly state in the nation.  However, where exactly is the ocean?  ;)

The heat, insects and sprawling poverty in some areas are my issues with Florida.   But we have our own issues here.  Scurvington, Cam-done, Atlantic Sh**ty and so on.

It would have to Siesta Key Beach area or maybe Vero Beach.

Most areas between Orlando and Daytona have issues.  Though I've been told Orange City is ok.  Fellow "lapper" I know moved there a decade ago.

I think I'd prefer S.Carolina.

Reasonably priced housing, low property tax, 0 income tax and here's what you do in March.

image_zps5g04pk10.jpeg

Just got done barbecuing my lunch and I have a pistol packed in my shorts. When I go back in the water I'll stuff it in the glove box. Oh, and on the way home, I'm going to make an unconscionable number of non- necessary deviations.

Is that syringe package ..?? or a condom right there..??  I can't tell for sure...

:p

Looks like torture sitting there watching the waves under 78 deg. blue sky.....  /sarc

What's the water temperature? I'm guessing in the 50s as no one is in.

Some people were including me. There was a storm last night so it was a bit chillier than normal--about 68 according to one of the life guards. It only gets to 84 in July.

Also, it's a work day and there were only a handful of people on the beach.

Amelia Island hasn't had a hurricane make landfall since 1964 (knock on wood). How have we done in NJ over the last 5 years? Irene, Sandy? How about that Noreaster snow storm in mid-Feb?

Lol, I'll take them before hurricane coastal winds over 50mph. Glad its safe by you but don't think it can't happen bro.

Lol, I'll take them before hurricane coastal winds over 50mph. Glad its safe by you but don't think it can't happen bro.

I'm realistic.

Let's address these as I am sure some are location dependent. I've seen no more evidence of fire ants and roaches here than in NJ. I have fire ants on my patio around my pool in NJ on occasion. I am yet to experience them here. The food I find to be the same and utilities I have noticed much of a difference. Fuel, which may effect utilities is more, NJ is the second cheapest state, behind Alaska, on this one item. It's all based the tax, this is the only low tax in NJ which, given the disrepair of the roads, will go up. Side note, NJ ranks dead last in cost per mile to maintain a road 1mm bucks! Mass is second worst at 667k per mile. NJ is 50 % more than the next worst state. Road funding is completely based off tolls and the gas tax. It'll get there, give it time and the next democrat governor.

However, I can fully fund my additional fuel costs with the difference in property taxes when I sell my house. I pay well over 40k in Montville and I pay less than 3k in FL. The top income tax rate in NJ is 8.97%, after a few years under Corzine of being 10.97%, and the democrats lead by Weinberg want to permanently amend the tax code to 10.97% top tax bracket. Guess where NJ ranks on tax friendliness? Last.

The University system is on par with NJ. NJ gets great benefit from hosting Princeton, but if you only go public UF ranks much higher than Rutgers. In fact US news ranked UF the same as Penn State at #47. Rutgers ranks 72nd.

As for primary education it is highly location dependent. The NJEA will always tell you NJ is #1 (sometimes it is true but not last year), but at what cost? The Abbott funding formula pumps over 6 of the 8.5 billion in school aid into only 31 of the 582 school districts. If you've never heard of the Abbott ruling, the single biggest rip off in tax payer history, google it and be amazed. The primary schools aren't important to me because my kids are college aged. The tawniest suburban districts are net outflow on school aid.

However, here is the US News state public education rankings: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/articles/how-states-compare

It shows Florida to be above NJ. I am sure there are others that contradict but US News is considered one of the better sources of information on school rankings.

As for health care Florida does rank 41th but NJ only ranks in the next quartile at 33td. Since I still have a home in NJ and NYC I generally use the medical in NYC.

I lived in NJ full time for 48 years, and still do part time, and love it there. I'm not dissing at all, the original post was just tongue and cheek for some fun is all, cause I know the weather is bad today. However, you forced me to do some analysis and maybe there's more to it than I thought.

Is that a typo on property taxes in montville?

I'm in Jacksonville and heard on the radio the other day that a hurricane hasn't hit JAX since the late 1800s.

Also, the Summers here are no worse than NJ, in fact, the humidity some days in central jersey was worse some days than here. We do get a change of seasons here. Gets into the 40s in Jan and Feb and even 30s some days or nights.

I've seen the occasional roach, but usually dead.

You don'[t have to mow the lawn every week in the winter.

I'll take this any day over NJ.

• Like 1