Rob0115

Why move to Florida?

...why would u do that to urself?

Take the good with the bad. I've been since I was a kid and I'm a season ticket holder. Don't tell me your a jets or eagles fan giving me crap about the Giants? ;)

I bought my first water front lot up in the NW cape back in 2010 after the crash. I put the seawall in two years ago. Next is the house in a few years. I friend told me about Cape Coral.  He also bought a lot and was building to retire there so I took a plane ride down and starting looking.   I love the NW cape.  Very quiet.  I've since picked up 3 more lots as investments up in the NW cape. 

Maybe someday we will be neighbors I have a lot on the Bonefish canal my brother in law owns the 2 on ether side of me. Im here now and meeting the builder at 11:00 to start the process . You made a wise move buying in 2010 as Im sure you know the NW is going up in price every day for the last year and building is really booming. I like Cape Coral better than anywhere in FL. I lived in St. Pete and didnt like it and spent all my summers as a kid in Pompano Beach but the east coast isnt for me anymore. Everyone I talk to in the NW Cape loves it and so do I. 

• Like 1

Maybe someday we will be neighbors I have a lot on the Bonefish canal my brother in law owns the 2 on ether side of me. Im here now and meeting the builder at 11:00 to start the process . You made a wise move buying in 2010 as Im sure you know the NW is going up in price every day for the last year and building is really booming. I like Cape Coral better than anywhere in FL. I lived in St. Pete and didnt like it and spent all my summers as a kid in Pompano Beach but the east coast isnt for me anymore. Everyone I talk to in the NW Cape loves it and so do I. My wife and I looke 

My wife and I visited http://www.latitude26.net/  and http://www.paulhomes.com/ a few times.   Both models are on Cape Coral Pkwy.  Also http://www.aubuchonhomes.com/   I keep trying to come up with excuses to fly down to the cape.  Your in a nice spot.  Where your at its a quick ride out to the gulf.  i'm up at the top of the spreader close by the entrance to Charlotte Harbor preserve. 

i was thinking to buy a property in Cape Coral in 2009-2010. the 3 things that stop me, were:

1)the number of sex offenders in the area. Here you can see if your area has any of them.

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/searchNeighborhood.do?actionPerformed=neighborhoodSearchMain

2) the tax rate 2% vs 1.25% most of the south Florida.

3) most of the sheriffs in south west Florida arent NFA friendly

If i had to choose an area in SW Florida, would be North Naples(Lee county). 

Plus higher costs for basics/food/gas/utilities. Fire ants so you cant enjoy a walk on your own grass. Roaches in every building from Mansions to the small shacks. A very crappy healthcare system, a crappy school system. I was there for 11 years, yes there are things I miss, but the con's outweigh the pro's (2nd amendment aside)

Not for me. I don't want even to go back to NJ to visit and my family lives there as well as many close friends. Pros Def out weight cons for me

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I love FL to visit but a warm winter with no snow, Christmas lights on green trees, no fall foliage, no mountians to hike, have to mow the lawn 52 weeks a year and so on. I almost moved to west Palm beach years ago and I'm happy I did not. I would not like to live there year round.

For someone who's name is fishnur I don't get me that. Fishing my number 1 hobby and i do it yr round in shorts with a huge variety of fish

For someone who's name is fishnur I don't get me that. Fishing my number 1 hobby and i do it yr round in shorts with a huge variety of fish

oh no doubt I love to visit FL to fish. I have done allot of fishing all over flordia for many different species. After a week or two I'm ready to head back north again and chase trout. I fish for trout all through the winter in NJ,NY and PA I just don't do it in shorts. The spring summer and fall provide a huge variety of salt and fresh water species right here in the north east. I'll continue to visit flordia to hunt and fish but I'll never live there.
  • Like 1

oh no doubt I love to visit FL to fish. I have done allot of fishing all over flordia for many different species. After a week or two I'm ready to head back north again and chase trout. I fish for trout all through the winter in NJ,NY and PA I just don't do it in shorts. The spring summer and fall provide a huge variety of salt and fresh water species right here in the north east. I'll continue to visit flordia to hunt and fish but I'll never live there.

I've caught all kinds of fish all over the country, including Alaska, Maine, Florida, international waters, I could go on for days. Jersey fishing is my favorite.

i was thinking to buy a property in Cape Coral in 2009-2010. the 3 things that stop me, were:

1)the number of sex offenders in the area. Here you can see if your area has any of them.

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/searchNeighborhood.do?actionPerformed=neighborhoodSearchMain

2) the tax rate 2% vs 1.25% most of the south Florida.

3) most of the sheriffs in south west Florida arent NFA friendly

If i had to choose an area in SW Florida, would be North Naples(Lee county). 

Cape Coral is in Lee Co. 

• Like 1

Goal is to buy a place in Saint Augustine or Naples eventually, Saint Augustine because it's mecca for aerobatic pilots, although it ultimately depends on where my brother in law will be moving. Can't wait to get out of New Jersey. 

Let's address these as I am sure some are location dependent.  I've seen no more evidence of fire ants and roaches here than in NJ.  I have fire ants on my patio around my pool in NJ on occasion.  I am yet to experience them here.  The food I find to be the same and utilities I have noticed much of a difference.  Fuel, which may effect utilities is more, NJ is the second cheapest state, behind Alaska,  on this one item.  It's all based the tax, this is the only low tax in NJ which, given the disrepair of the roads, will go up.  Side note, NJ ranks dead last in cost per mile to maintain a road 1mm bucks!  Mass is second worst at 667k per mile.  NJ is 50 % more than the next worst state.  Road funding is completely based off tolls and the gas tax.  It'll get there, give it time and the next democrat governor.  

However, I can fully fund my additional fuel costs with the difference in property taxes when I sell my house.  I pay well over 40k in Montville and I pay less than 3k in FL.  The top income tax rate in NJ is 8.97%, after a few years under Corzine of being 10.97%, and the democrats lead by Weinberg want to permanently amend the tax code to 10.97% top tax bracket.  Guess where NJ ranks on tax friendliness?  Last.  

The University system is on par with NJ.  NJ gets great benefit from hosting Princeton, but if you only go public UF ranks much higher than Rutgers.  In fact US news ranked UF the same as Penn State at #47.  Rutgers ranks 72nd.

As for primary education it is highly location dependent.  The NJEA will always tell you NJ is #1 (sometimes it is true but not last year), but at what cost?  The Abbott funding formula pumps over 6 of the 8.5 billion in school aid into only 31 of the 582 school districts.  If you've never heard of the Abbott ruling, the single biggest rip off in tax payer history, google it and be amazed.  The primary schools aren't important to me because my kids are college aged.  The tawniest suburban districts are net outflow on school aid.  

However, here is the US News state public education rankings:  http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/articles/how-states-compare

It shows Florida to be above NJ.  I am sure there are others that contradict but US News is considered one of the better sources of information on school rankings.  

As for health care Florida does rank 41th but NJ only ranks in the next quartile at 33td.  Since I still have a home in NJ and NYC I generally use the medical in NYC.  

I lived in NJ full time for 48 years, and still do part time, and love it there.  I'm not dissing at all, the original post was just tongue and cheek for some fun is all, cause I know the weather is bad today.  However, you forced me to do some analysis and maybe there's more to it than I thought.  

No arguments here! When I left NJ 12 yrs ago it was one of three places, western NC, Fla or Oklahoma. I was a single dad of a 6 yr old and 11 yr old at the time so there was some other considerations. I put a deposit on a house in New Port Richie and the deal fell thru on the other end and I landed in W NC and love it. Just the ins. and tax burden relieve is worth it. 

As you said my taxes in Jackson $8,000.00 for an average middle class home on 2.5 acresI build with my own hands. I have the same size home here and today pay $350.00 a year. Auto insurance when I left over $3000.00 here today three vehicle not two I am paying $512.00 a year. Food the same but I grow all my own veggies and have farms all around me so much cheaper. I have health issues and live within 20 miles of one of the best hospitals in the state for my problem.

The greatest advantage for us on this board is at around 6 months I walked into the local sheriff's department on a tuesday and thursday had a P2P. After the deputy convinced me that if I had a carry permit I wouldn't need a P2P I applied and with 6 weeks was done. But better than that I was asked about any DV and I told him I was a victim and had a PRO issued in NJ, he not only told me it would be honored in the entire state of NC but I was issued a temporary emergency concealed handgun permit. Some counties in NJ would not honor a RO from county to county.

I do spend a lot of time in Fla now that the kids are grown and am selling my house and will either land in Key West or outside the traffic of the Clearwater area. I do know anyplace in the Keys food is out of control but it's expected with everything getting hauled it.

Good luck to all in their future choices!

Ahhhhh. Key west. Awesome.

One of the most relaxing places in the world to me. Music and good food everyplace, bars all on street level. Love it.

Headed back in August.

I have some friends there and they are fearful now of stories of big business buying property and setting up shuttles to Cuba. I hope not because we all know progress usually kills everything!

One of the most relaxing places in the world to me. Music and good food everyplace, bars all on street level. Love it.

Headed back in August.

I have some friends there and they are fearful now of stories of big business buying property and setting up shuttles to Cuba. I hope not because we all know progress usually kills everything!

the shuttles will die out quick. They tried the same thing out of Singer Island/West Palm Beach going to Freeport on Grand Bahama Island. They were the high speed hydrofoil boats and they only lasted a few years. At first the shuttles were packed but the novelty wore off quick and soon they had problems filling the boat with enough passengers to make it worth the trip. Then add in the weather forcing the boat to stay at the dock and soon enough they were out of money and shut down.