SIGMan Freud

Buying new: Online w/FFL Transfer or have dealer order?

Hey all. The last time I bought handguns, the internet was in it's infancy. You learned about new handguns from magazines and catalogues and you had to shop around different dealers for stock or have them order something for out of stock items.

Fast forward to 2016 and everything imaginable is available online, including in-stock inventory. I imagine a good part of any FFL's business is transfers. So let me ask you this - if I'm looking for a particular model that is not in stock locally, is there any advantage to having the shop order directly from the manufacturer vs. buying from a big online site and just doing a transfer?

I checked with two LGS authorized dealers and was told they didn't have the gun in stock but could get the model I was looking for in a week or so, but would have to be paid in full at time of order. The online dealers have multiple quantities in stock, and obviously would require full payment before shipping to the FFL. Either way, I'm kinda buying sight-unseen, which is OK given the circumstances.

So is it six-of-one, half-dozen of another? I would like to support the local guys as much as possible (I image they make more on a direct sale with markup than with a transfer). Just curious if there's any advantage one way or the other? Thanks.

Most dealers will do either.  I've done it both ways.

I've bought something odd online that my local dealer couldn't get and had it transfered and paid the transfer fee.

I've also had a dealer order something odd.   Both work.

I have taken the online add into the dealer to show them what I want and asked if they can get close to the price.  The FFL's I deal with are honest with me - that's why I use them.  Usually, they can order the gun for less than I can buy it online and pay the transfer fee.  Sometimes they've said the online price is below they're usual price but they'll match the online price.  Sometimes they can't do it and they just tell me they can't match the price.

IMHO either online or local is fine.

If price is the same, please support the locals.

Agreed. Where possible, support the locals. Only time I'm paying for transfers from the Internet is used guns and/or models they can't get.

My local FFL doesn't care either way --  He'll flat out show me his prices -- If he can beat online he will, if he can't he suggests I order it

I don't know about this problem with a gun thing -- Once it's transferred to you it should be between you and the manufacturer -- the dealer isn't going to fix a warranty issue - he's just sending it to the manufacturer and you can do that

You can always refuse a transfer from an online vendor - Use a good vendor who will accept returns -- grab a gun most of the time for me but I've bought used a few times too

Don't forget about sales tax...

• Like 1

I buy local 95% of the time. But I do have A local FFL that works from his house that I have the ocassional transfer shipped to.

Recent example online. I was looking for A Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic.

priced it at 3 shops, lowest price was 1149.00.

I bought it online, paid transfer and NICS at  FFL.  Total out of pocket was $963.00 and I had it in hand in 3 days.

That to me is my reason for some online buys.

I don't know about this problem with a gun thing -- Once it's transferred to you it should be between you and the manufacturer -- the dealer isn't going to fix a warranty issue - he's just sending it to the manufacturer and you can do that.

I've ordered and bought primarily from one local FFL, with the same exceptions noted above. I had two instances where handguns had to be returned to the factory. In both cases they handled it all for me.

Also, my FFL does not charge me for safe time on handguns they ordered for me and have to hold. You know, while I'm waiting 5 months for the damn permits?

Yeah, all things being equal about timing, I'd go local, even if it cost a little more. The situation I want to avoid is paying and placing an order to the distributor/manufacturer through the dealer and being told the thing is back-ordered X weeks or indefinitely, while knowing an online vendor has 12 in stock. 

Also, my FFL does not charge me for safe time on handguns they ordered for me and have to hold. You know, while I'm waiting 5 months for the damn permits?

My FFL does his too -- and he's in walking distance from home

My pref is ordering local.  It also depends on your LGS.  If you like how they do business, it seems to me like a safe bet.  I bought 3 long guns last year exactly that way.   Ordered on a Saturday, guns arrived Thursday, picked up the very next Saturday.

But a lot of people have no issues with online.  It's just not my choice.

I've done both...but got my last 1911 from Buds online. Every local dealer told me upfront they couldn't come close to the price, including NICS, Xfer and sales tax. I feel I'm still helping out my LGS by sending them the xfer anyway. So local if I can but sometimes the online deal is too hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you have a problem with the firearms the LGS may tell you you're on your own to deal with the place you purchased. Unless it's a smoking deal I buy local even if it's a little more.

Hey, I thought Obama said that if you buy guns online there are no background checks involved?

But seriously, I've made a number of purchases online recently and done the $20 transfer at GFH.  I tried to support an LGS recently, when their price was only a little more than something I had looked at online.  But by the time I paid a substantial fee for the NICS check and sales tax, it ended up being around $100 more than the online price.  Not even to mention a nearly hour and a half round trip to them, vs. my 15 minute drive to GFH.  Another example of the old adage about no good deed going unpunished.

Down here in South Jersey my last two purchases have been at Buck Tails in Mays Landing. With both of them he offered to just do a transfer but ended up matching the best price I found on GunBroker anyway. Great place.

There is a place around here that thinks it is ok to charge $100 for a transfer.

It is ok. You don't have to use them. And I wouldn't.

I'm willing to give the dealer some extra cash to get it for me. But they usually decline and tell me just to buy online and have it shipped unless they are an authorized dealer of the product. No idea why. They get the FFL discount and the transfer fee, and I'll pay a small premium. It's either not worth the hassle or they don't want the cash flow pinch laying out the money.

Hey, I thought Obama said that if you buy guns online there are no background checks involved?

But seriously, I've made a number of purchases online recently and done the $20 transfer at GFH.  I tried to support an LGS recently, when their price was only a little more than something I had looked at online.  But by the time I paid a substantial fee for the NICS check and sales tax, it ended up being around $100 more than the online price.  Not even to mention a nearly hour and a half round trip to them, vs. my 15 minute drive to GFH.  Another example of the old adage about no good deed going unpunished.

Pretty much this. I've bought 3 pistols and 2 rifles online instead of through my LGS because even with shipping, transfer, etc...they were still close to or over $100 cheaper then I could get locally. Only one of the rifles didn't apply to that and I should have purchased locally even if they had to order it because it would have been the same price. I am also very patient and look for the best deal possible. 

Support your LGS.  If you don't, especially in NJ, They'll just disappear.   

Fair enough, and I love my two LGS that I do transfers through. You also can think this way...the $25 transfer they're making to literally do 5mins of paperwork is MORE money then they'll get trying to match the internet price for me to "pay just a little more" then online.