Jdan05

9mm Ammo suggestions!!!

Hi everyone! I just got my Fid a few weeks ago and just a few days ago i purchased my first 9mm handgun ( Springfield XD-9 mod2) and just yesterday was my first time at the range and had a good time... Now my question is what brand of 9mm ammo you guys suggest that are a good quality but also cheap enough to go to the rage more often? And where can i buy it from? Lol sinse it was my first time at the range i spend over 90 bucks for 150 bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stay away from the very cheap brands like Freedom and Independence they tend to make shitty ammo in their entry level ammo.

I would suggest looking at PMC, Magtech and S&B on the lower priced spectrum and start saving your brass. If you ever decide to load your own you will have a pile of brass to use, and if you don't you can sell it to someone who does.

Also, buy in bulk and don't bring it all to the range, give yourself an ammo budget for the day and only bring that, it is is really easy to shoot it all in one day .

• Like 1

WOW 60 cents a round for 9mm is almost triple what you should be able to pay.  There are many different weights of 9mm ammo, and you can buy it in steel, aluminum, and brass casing.  If you are not reloading it you probably don't care too much for range use what type of casing you get as long as it feeds well in your gun.  Thus, you might want to try a box or two before you buy thousands of rounds just in case your gun does not like that type of ammo.  Same holds regarding the shape of the bullet head or if it is hollow point or round nose - some guns may not feed certain ammo well.  Different ammo uses different powder and primers as well.  I would never buy Wolf as the smell of it makes me sick, YMMV.  Cheaper ammo that may use very hard primers may be a problem to ignite with certain guns as well.  While one of the posters above was negative on Freedom Munitions, I have used thousands and thousands of their rounds and have never had any problem with their new ammo.  They run specials all the time, but do offer free shipping on your first order.  You need to send them (and many online suppliers) an electronic image of your FID card and I believe driver's license before they will ship to NJ.  9mm ammo comes in several different bullet weights as well, typically 115, 124 and 147 grain weight although there are other weights as well.  I think you will find most people shoot 124 grain ammo.  The lighter 115 is a little cheaper but you may find the gun a little snappier in recoil with the lighter ammo.  The heavy 147 is more expensive but you may find you have less muzzle flip as the gun recoils with the heavier ammo.  Your best bet is buy some of each weight and see what you like better.  Hope this helps some.

Hi everyone! I just got my Fid a few weeks ago and just a few days ago i purchased my first 9mm handgun ( Springfield XD-9 mod2) and just yesterday was my first time at the range and had a good time... Now my question is what brand of 9mm ammo you guys suggest that are a good quality but also cheap enough to go to the rage more often? And where can i buy it from? Lol sinse it was my first time at the range i spend over 90 bucks for 150 bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What were you shooting that you spent $90 on 150 rounds of 9mm? Does your figure include range time?

Gun for hire was selling 9mm target ammo for about $15-$20 a box of 50 depending on if you were a range member or not.

$30 for 50 rounds of 9mm better be match hardball or a personal protection round.

Target 9mm I recommend include

Speer lawman

Federal champion / American eagle

PMC bronze

Look for a full metal jacket round nosed bullet. You don't need to pay a premium to punch paper holes.

SGAmmo.com always has good pricing along with TargetSportUSA.com.  Order a case of good quality, factory fresh ammo to start,  Make sure the gun works properly and to your satisfaction before switching to retail reloaded ammo.  Speer Lawman, PMC Bronze, Amercan Eagle, etc (115 or 124 Grain).  Then when that case is finished and everything seems fine in the 9MM world you can switch up and try other cheaper brands, and retail reloads.  

Target price today is $10 a box on brass cased quality ammo.  Supplies seem to be a little thin at the moment so some google-fu would be necessary.  Keep all brass, it's worth money.  You may need to work out a brass catcher for the indoor range.  Some commercial ranges have rules about that, need to check

Worry about safe gun handling and good shooting first, reloading comes later.  

Buy whatever you can find.   The issue is mostly finding ammo that runs in your guns.   Most of the "name" brands in Brass like Fiocchi, Sellier and Bellot, CCI, Blazer Brass, Lawman, Winchester, Remington, etc.  will run just fine.    If you can find Remans or cheap that also run, use those.  The first 1000 rounds is just getting comfortable with the gun anyway, so experiment.

Or just start reloading :) if we build a big enough community of reloaders here maybe more stores will stock components

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I doubt it.  Stupid NJ rules on powder storage and sale recording requirements pretty much keep most out of the game.  

• Like 2

I was surprised it took so long for someone to mention CCI Blazer.

I usually get mine from here:

https://www.natchezss.com/blazer-brass-handgun-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-gr-fmj-1145-fps-50-box.html

IF you want to go a little cheaper you can go aluminum case... I have used these a bunch and haven't had an issue, but you should test with your firearm to ensure it feeds properly:

https://www.natchezss.com/cci-blazer-handgun-ammunition-9mm-115gr-fmj-1145-fps-1000-ct.html

[EDIT]

Actually the bulk price is actually pretty bad!... they usually go on sale from that site for a decent price...

I have seen a lot of freedom ammo fail. I have seen their .223 have head separations. I have seen their .308 split cases in half and have web failures. And I have seen their 9mm break in half at that strange internal shelf they have inside their cases. 

Your millage may very, shoot whatever you wish in your guns, I wouldn't put a single round of their ammo in my guns. 

• Like 2

I have seen a lot of freedom ammo fail. I have seen their .223 have head separations. I have seen their .308 split cases in half and have web failures. And I have seen their 9mm break in half at that strange internal shelf they have inside their cases. 

Your millage may very, shoot whatever you wish in your guns, I wouldn't put a single round of their ammo in my guns. 

Have you had this in their new ammo or remanufactured?  I ask as I have had issues with the reman and don't use it, only the new and have never had a single issue with the new.  Any ammo can have problems.  I had a box of CCI Blazer Brass .40 S&W and gave a few rounds to a friend at a match, felt really bad as he had a nasty squib with that factory ammo that took him 20 minutes to get out of the barrel of his gun.

I've had one too many issues with freedom reman 9mm and 223 with bullets seated in way too deep, damaged bullets, and damaged case necks.

Their "new" cartridges have been fine, but I'd stay away from their reman line...  their customer service was horrible as well on a few occasions.  Not worth the headache IMO.

And if brass cased ammo, pick it up even if you dont reload now ,you may decide to reload later

^ This.  I've saved up a few thousand spent casings in various calibers to reload.  Should've done this from the start!

Have you had this in their new ammo or remanufactured?  I ask as I have had issues with the reman and don't use it, only the new and have never had a single issue with the new.  Any ammo can have problems.  I had a box of CCI Blazer Brass .40 S&W and gave a few rounds to a friend at a match, felt really bad as he had a nasty squib with that factory ammo that took him 20 minutes to get out of the barrel of his gun.

To 9 specifically the issue was with their new stuff, which is the brass with the odd internal shelf. Now, if that is something they didn't do before or they no longer do now or if they only use that for some ammo but not other I have no idea. I've seen that brass separate. 

What were you shooting that you spent $90 on 150 rounds of 9mm? Does your figure include range time?

Gun for hire was selling 9mm target ammo for about $15-$20 a box of 50 depending on if you were a range member or not.

$30 for 50 rounds of 9mm better be match hardball or a personal protection round.

Target 9mm I recommend include

Speer lawman

Federal champion / American eagle

PMC bronze

Look for a full metal jacket round nosed bullet. You don't need to pay a premium to punch paper holes.

Yea i was at GFH. The whole total ended up at 170 in change. Since it was my first time they made pay $25 for explaining of rules and training for the first 15 mins inside the range plus i bought the the earplugs and glasses for like $30 since im planing to go more often might as well have my own. The ammo was $29 for a box of 50. But it was my first time and i got caught up in the moment and said f.. it i just wanna have fun. After i was out i realize that i need to figure out a way to make more affordable. Next time i'll be coming more prepare

Yea i was at GFH. The whole total ended up at 170 in change. Since it was my first time they made pay $25 for explaining of rules and training for the first 15 mins inside the range plus i bought the the earplugs and glasses for like $30 since im planing to go more often might as well have my own. The ammo was $29 for a box of 50. But it was my first time and i got caught up in the moment and said f.. it i just wanna have fun. After i was out i realize that i need to figure out a way to make more affordable. Next time i'll be coming more prepare

Wow! $29 for a box of 9mm is really high. I never buy ammo at a range, I always bring my own. Some ranges insist you buy their ammo so I don't go to them.

Like others here said, $10 is a pretty good price for target ammo these days.

Welcome to an expensive hobby!

here you go

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/ammo-sale/_/N-1110627+4294756016/Ne-4294756016/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_436748580?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

You should be able to get a box of 50 FMJ for less than 14 bucks

No tax, and shipping is free (use coupon code) if you spend $100 (act fast)

If you find yourself shooting regularly its much cheaper to shoot at GFH with even a basic membership. You get discounts on ammo, classes, range time is much cheaper etc.

As far as ammo I never buy less than 500 rounds, usually 1000. It's not like it goes bad and at the moment it's relatively cheap. You should be able to buy about 1000 rounds at a bit over $200 plus shipping. SGammo normally has great deals on all types of ammo but look around, I've bought from many different vendors over the years. I've bought several thousand rounds of pistol and rifle ammo from Freedom Munitions without issue but obviously YMMV. Good luck!

Personally I tend to stick with Federal and Speer. I always shoot 124 gr.

I have some cases of Federal 124gr 9mm I am selling $230 each if you're interested.

Well im gonna try a couple boxes of the stuff that has been suggested and if the federal works good ill get back to you

I've used:

Winchester White Box

Remington UMC (Standard and Target Nickel)

PMC

American Eagle (Federal)

CCI Blazer (Brass & Aluminum)

S&B

Aguila

Fiocchi

Prvi Partizan

Speer Lawman

Magtech

Defense ammo:

Hornady Critical Defense/Critical Duty

Winchester PDX1

Winchester Black Talon/Ranger SXT

Federal EFMJ

Federal HST

Speer Gold Dot

Remington Golden Sabre

There's others but I can't remember off the top of my head right now.  Most of those will be fine.  You may want to stay away from the Winchester White Box...

=I see that there has been a bunch of problems with the reman stuff at Freedom Munitions....But has anyone else tried Lax Ammo?  Ive bought around 2k rounds of .223 and 1.5k rounds of 9mm and not had a single misfire.  Maybe I'm just lucky?  Theyre prices are similar to Freedom and great customer service, at least with me.  The first 500 rounds of 9mm I bought came up nearly 50 rounds short.  I was sent 2 boxes of new ammo and a 15% coupon for my next purchase.  So I'm cool with them.  Just sayin.....  :)

See, I don't agree there's been a BUNCH of problems with FM's stuff. I've shot a lot of their ammo.  Some has been "low quality" (avoid their american steel), some has been on par with your "name brand" vendors, and some has been surprisingly good.  If you want I can link you to some quickie reviews i've done on another forum.  There's also the aspect of, what does your gun like. Some are more finicky than others. (ex: Beretta 92G doesn't like FM 147gr reman ammo when temps are below 40*F. it keyholes.  it's perfectly fine above those temps or in my H&K firearms, even out of my short barrel P2000SK.)