JeepDrum

What qualifies as a range?

Hey everyone, NJ law states it is only legal to transport a firearm to/from a gun shop, range, or between residences, correct? Is there anywhere that states what exactly is considered a "range"? If an individual knows someone who owns private property and it's a safe place to shoot (e.g. far enough away from other buildings, proper back stop, etc) is it legal for someone to bring a firearm there and shoot? If the owner of the property shoots his/her own guns there, could someone else that doesn't own the property or live there do the same? Would this be legal and qualify as a range under NJ law, or would it be illegal to transport a firearm there? I'm new to this stuff and haven't been able to find a definitive answer, if one even exists.

I also have a question does the areas in witch are aloud to hunt can be use as a range? To target practice with handguns and rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question. Thanks for adding!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

@Jeep

If you have to ask, it's most likely illegal. A range is a certified and legally labeled "shooting range" just like an FFL or Gunsmith is legally those things. Your friends property isn't recognized by the State of NJ as a "legal" range for all intents and purposes. 

@Jdan

You can shoot certain rifles and shotguns at WMA's but never handguns. Use this link to see where you can sight in your long guns.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ranges.htm

I'm sure there's more to add but that's the gist of it.

If your buddy has a rifle range set up in his back yard that is legal according to his town. Feel free to bring your long guns as long as you have a FID. 

If you are a member of a rifle and pistol club that is registered with the state then I think you can also bring and fire your handguns to any place where it is legal to fire them (observing normal NJ travel rules with no deviations and locked and unloaded).

Hey everyone, NJ law states it is only legal to transport a firearm to/from a gun shop, range, or between residences, correct? Is there anywhere that states what exactly is considered a "range"? If an individual knows someone who owns private property and it's a safe place to shoot (e.g. far enough away from other buildings, proper back stop, etc) is it legal for someone to bring a firearm there and shoot? If the owner of the property shoots his/her own guns there, could someone else that doesn't own the property or live there do the same? Would this be legal and qualify as a range under NJ law, or would it be illegal to transport a firearm there? I'm new to this stuff and haven't been able to find a definitive answer, if one even exists.

(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules

prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from

a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target

practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent

and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further

that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

Hey everyone, NJ law states it is only legal to transport a firearm to/from a gun shop, range, or between residences, correct?

If I remember correctly, it is technically not legal to transport your firearms or ammo between residences when moving. lol

A local cop visited my property one day. Someone reported gunfire and was nervous about it. Also, said made his dog go crazy. Cop shrugged his shoulders. He then looked at where I was shooting and gave me the thumbs up. Said he was going to speak to the complainant and state it is being done safely on private property. The property ends along a mountain. I also a couple of tall mounds between the targets and mountain. Cop was really pleasant and cordial with me.

If I remember correctly, it is technically not legal to transport your firearms or ammo between residences when moving. lol

^^^THIS is wrong, lol, EXCEPT for the case of hollow point rounds.  When moving hollow points, one must stop at a closed range in the middle of the night, pick 4-leaf clovers, take a pic so as to indicate a time stamp and then proceed to the new digs.....

The "moving" issue came-up with the prosecution of the author of "Blue Tent Sky" (Brian Aikten).  The 1960's definition of moving via a moving van is more or less the intent of the law (move it all in ONE fell swoop), NOT the realistic version of couch surfing at a friends or relatives while you're "in-between" such as in a divorce case for instance.  The judge in that case was DISBARRED and fired for failure to properly charge the jury and allow them to consider evidence of a current-day, realistic move that a typical 20-something goes through these days.  Because not everybody has enough money to pay for TWO rents at the same time and hire a moving company....

Footnotes and Nappen's comments can be found in the book.

Dave

• Like 1