Princetonian58

1911 Recommendations

Again, all hearsay. Hi qc issues and failures. I'm not getting into this Kimber bullshit arguments again, but unless you own one or have vital statistics, give it up. And when they do have issues as any company that sells tons of product, they have excellent CS. They make good.

I have 3 and looking for more. Not one single issue. Want to argue about it? Head over to the KimberTalk forums and try grind glass over there. You'll see.

I have 4 kimber guns and have 0 issues with any.  I'd love to get a 10mm one.  Fit, finish and value is hard to compare.  

• Like 1

I have a Kimber Custom II Stainless with many thousands of rounds through it. When it was new, I had ejection issues. Called Kimber and they sent me a new slide stop right away. Resolved any issues I had. Customer service was easy and friendly. Fit and finish is fantastic on the Kimbers, I would not hesitate to buy another. The Kimber full stainless 1911 is a beauty! 

• Like 1

I have a Kimber Custom II Stainless with many thousands of rounds through it. When it was new, I had ejection issues. Called Kimber and they sent me a new slide stop right away. Resolved any issues I had. Customer service was easy and friendly. Fit and finish is fantastic on the Kimbers, I would not hesitate to buy another. The Kimber full stainless 1911 is a beauty!

Got a Stainless Raptor Pro.... First 1911 in the commander size. Pro comes in all beaded finish. I sanded down and polished the flats to a mirror surface then gave it a brushed look. Looks awesome. One of my favs. Then my Warrior SOC and Ultra Covert which is my fav baby 1911.... All worthy of each other. They out shoot my Colt Govt.

27c1bab2df4877934c761eff44d0e1a6.jpg

My budget is going to be $1000.  I'm not too close to HGE, though.  Thanks for the offer.

Springfield Loaded is right in your wheelhouse. I think I paid $850 for it new and then I bought a couple of Chip McCormick 8 round mags for it and ammo. 

S. 

I shot about 10 different sub-1k 1911s and it came down to the Springfield 1911-A1 and Desert Eagle 1911G. 

I found the trigger on the DE to be more to my liking.  I thought the Springfield had better aesthetics, but the DE was what stuck with me.  Both were a pleasure to shoot and were much better than everything else I had tried.  This is a subjective opinion and will vary from person to person.  Shoot as many as you can before making your decision.  

Buying a 1911 for what? HD? Range toy? Kewl? Thirty years ago I bought a West Hurley Auto Ordnance 1911 for $300 out the door because it was the only handgun I knew anything about and that was from the Army. Like most, I fired 7 rounds in basic and never fired it again or chambered another round no matter how much I carried it when I was stuck with the M60 or m79 in the weeds. Mine had teething problems. A new mag, polished feed ramp. and an extractor tuning fixed them all. Out of pocket was just for the mag. The rest was DIY and free. This gun that the internet commandos, speaking from their mother's basement, call a POS, is 100% reliable and is my house gun.

• Like 1

Picked up the Springfield Mil Spec a month ago...very happy with it..accurate and 100% reliable so far...very nice fit and finish

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

+1 on the Milspec. Made a great base for custom add ons as well. New adjustable trigger (polish the channel), spring/sear kit and officers hammer gave me everything I wanted and then some for less than the RO. Plus the parkerized finish was a perfect palate to do my cerakote finish on.

I went down this road last year. I tried about a dozen 1911's at the range and I ended up buying a Ruger SR1911. Now I like Ruger as a company and own many of their guns so that makes me lean towards them anyway but for the price, the features and the quality I think the SR1911 is a great gun.

My budget was also around $1000 and spending much less on that for the SR1911 was a bonus.

I picked up a Sig Emperor Scorpion (kinda cheesy name lol) 1911 for $950, love it to death. I was comparing with Kimbers, Springfields, and Colts, and I liked the sig the best though I did almost go with a Springfield TRP Operator. That thing was deliciously fine, but the scorpion won me over in the end. Came with tritium sights, match barrel, Hogue G10 magwell grips, bronze nitron coating, and it's all stainless steel underneath that coating. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth. It's only got about 250ish rounds through it so far, and my only hiccup was a bad casing on some bulk ammo. Otherwise, it's been flawless.

I have a Kimber Team Match and have never had any issues with it whatsoever.

As with any 1911, you have to keep it very clean, very lubed and find magazines that work in your gun.

If you happen to have one that runs when dirty, dry and with any magazine; then you have a sloppy fitted gun :)

So remember back when I mentioned that i would grab the Ruger?

Yeah...

This:

post-4086-0-59828500-1472523924_thumb.jpg

To this:

post-4086-0-45514200-1472524062_thumb.jpeg

Still a work in progress but we're almost there.  Going to checker it and have it Cerakoted.  I've done all the work minus cutting the slide for sights.

• Like 1

I have an S&W PC1911 and a STI Edge 2011 in .40.

Don't overlook the S&W 1911, it's a really nice 1911 at a bit over $1k. I ended up shelling out a bit more for the PC1911 and now that it has some rounds through it it really is a nice shooting gun.

If you have the budget and are considering an STI, you can't go wrong. I would suggest getting one from Dawson Precision. I bought a CRP Edge that was hard chromed for a little more than MSRP on a reg Edge. Only problem is once you shoot it nothing else will compare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

An honest review of the Ruger SR1911 ... http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?91-Ruger-SR1911-Review

Mine is solely used for SASS Wild Bunch matches - normally 5 scenarios and 100 reloads

Reloads are 200gr H&G-68 SWC.  Crimp them tight and the correct COL to the handgun ... zero handgun complaints or hiccups shooting 3 - 5 clips in rapid succession for each  scenario