leahcim

Anyone using "compute sticks"?

Anyone have experience with these "Compute Stick" devices?  It is a computer on a stick that plugs into an HDMI port.  Typically they have an Atom type processor, 4GB RAM running W10.  I am not sure how well that is going to work.  I would like to pair it with a bluetooth keyboard for basic web browsing/email and streaming video on an older (non-smart) TV.  I had been using a Logitech Revue (yes, I still have a working Logitech Revue), which I really liked--especially the IR blaster.  But the Revue is almost useless now, and Logitech seems to have abandoned the product line.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-BOXSTK1AW32SCR-Windows-32-bit/dp/B01ASB0DJ8/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31DxgxIa9rL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1BHS6T0CXSC229RY44A0

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B16RH02?psc=1

I don't see that they're very useful in terms of processing power. And like Mikey said, at that price ...$150... Doesn't seem worth it to smarten up a dumb TV.

But the fact that it includes a copy of 32 bit windows 10 is decent. But its 32 bit so limits RAM map.

As a small general purpose compute device, I like, and use, a Nuc.

I've used the 1st gen Compute Sticks for trade shows where we had to run PPT slides, picture slide shows or repeating videos, etc. on large screen TV's instead of connecting full blown laptops to them. They work, but as others have said, they lack in processing power. You can expand the storage via micro SD card which is nice. I'm running one on one of my TVs now and it runs well because I know what to expect from it. If updates need to be installed, run them until it's done, if AV defs need to be updated, run that before you start trying to multi-task. A couple things at a time, that sort of thing. In the past I've used it to RDP to a work machine via VPN and haven't had any issues. I've also run Outlook on it while opening office documents through Sharepoint, etc and although somewhat slow, it's worked for me. I've placed an order for the next gen compute stick (Core M3, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage) which should run a LOT better.

I might have an extra Compute Stick laying around if you're looking for one.

For keyboards I've used the Logitech K400 and am now using the K830 which I'm loving.

Why not use an Amazon Firestick which costs about $39 and will do basically what you want, not sure about bluetooth keyboard though.

My understanding of the Firestick is that it primarily oriented toward streaming video and maybe some apps.  I would like to be able to email (web-based client or possibly Outlook) and view Office/PDF  in addition to streaming.  And for much more than a sentence or two, I do prefer  to use a keyboard vs. other input methods (so far).