ricksanchez

Bayonne PBA Range

The range is still closed to the public. Current gossip is that some regular shooters/instructors got tested and have elevated levels of lead. Not sure how serious the health problem is, but apparently enough to close the range to the public. There are some whispers that it may be closed down completely or closed to the public permanently to limit liability their liability. Then their are other rumors that they are just closed while upgrading the ventilation system, so who knows whats true.

I emailed them some time ago. They said that it will definitely reopen, but they can't say when. Here is the website to check if it's open without going all the way there: http://www.casosguns.com/content/bayonne_gun_range.asp

I gotta say it's pretty annoying given that the closest range that's open is almost an hour away from me.

Today I've heard that the maintenance at the range has been completed and OHSA has apparently not found any problems with the current setup. However it's now an issue with the city government as to whether it will open for public use. It is really unfortunate as I haven't been able to practice as much as I would like and found myself shooting an IDPA match when I hadn't fired my pistol in a month.

For anyone that is looking for a range there is Bullet Hole, I haven't been there but it is pretty close. I have gone to Gun For Hire in Woodland Park and RTSP in Randolph. They are both excellent facilities but you may have to wait for a port on the weekend, I've had waits 20 minutes to an hour and a half. Members do get priority on shooting lanes but I haven't pulled the trigger, har har, and joined either of them yet. I'd rather shoot at a place that does not rent firearms. I see folks doing some borderline stupid shit at these places, and unfortunately both GFH and RTSP have had suicides at their ranges this year. 

I didn't think Bullet Hole was all THAT bad. Despite being a GFH member I shot at BH every so often when I didn't feel like dealing with the GFH weekend crowds. Yes, it doesn't exactly set the benchmark for shooting range experiences and I can see the place being intimidating for newer shooters.  But waits aren't usually long, port/ammo prices are reasonable (with 1/2 hour rates available), and I don't need a luxury spa experience when I go to a range. But if you really want to see dark/dirty, check out the NJ Firearms Academy range, lol.