Lambo2936

Anyone have a CCW Permit on here??

Just curious. I Realize that only a very, very select handful of people have CCW permits here in NJ, but wondering who those people are/what they do. I Manage a property in Newark in a fairly bad neighborhood, and have had my share of run in's with scumbags. Unfortunately, that means i also have to deal with evicting tenants and such, and while some of them are just business owners, some of them are also very shady folks. Threats have been made so many times i don't even know what to take seriously anymore. I've had to call the police for break ins and such on multiple occasions, only to wait hours for them to show up to clear the building so that i can go ahead and secure the gates (mind you, at 3 AM in a back alley on the corner of stratford and clinton ave, an area that is so bad a police officer is stationed there most of the day, every day, to *try* and lower the amount of shootings and such).
I Realize its a long shot, but you guy's think i MIGHT be able to get a permit? My father owns the property i manage (otherwise i wouldn't bother, but if he had to hire a company to deal with them it'd cost a ridiculous amount of money just to have a light bulb changed), and i store some stuff in one of the units so i could register it under my business so that i can carry on me, but i think that would only work for the single unit, right? Also, i wouldn't be allowed to carry from one store to another because i'd have to use the oversized sidewalk, i believe, so that would make things annoying.
Feel free to chime in! The laws are so bass ackwards i have no idea what i can and can not do as far as carrying on the property. If it matters any, i do have a power of attorney to act on my father's behalf.

Unfortunately I do not believe you be able to get a CCW.  All the criminals can carry carefree in Newark, but you are the devil law abiding citizen who actually has something to lose. 

I should apply! I've been doing it for a few years and have yet to catch a bullet (Not that i haven't gotten close), i bet when i finally do get shot i'll get the permit!

:/

No permit for you. You have the police to protect you.

Ha! Yeah right. All i have to protect me there is a bat called 'manners'.. Cops are nowhere to be found unless shots are fired or someone is already dead, then they come to scoop up the body.

Unfortunate, and i don't really blame them, but the point is you can't really rely on them if there is a gun pointed at you to get there in time.

Didn't someone in a similar situation try to get one, and was told by the judge "get a different job"

Yes. However, I'm not sure how this situation would play out after the "slight" change in language for issuing CCW permits.

Didn't someone in a similar situation try to get one, and was told by the judge "get a different job"

Wouldn't be surprised. I'll tell the judge the same thing when he is assaulted in court by some crook and the deputies aren't there to save his ass. Sounds like a grade-a a-hole, which isn't surprising.

You guy's think i should even bother trying? Any way attempting to obtain one could result in some sort of back lash? Issues from my Local PD who may not want me having a CCP, or something like that? I live in Woodbridge.. Had my Initial FID & PP within ~4 weeks; not bad at all.
Thanks

If you apply for subsequent PP's or change address in FID or anything, you will have to put down "yes" if you've been denied a permit before. Not sure if that will muck up your process.

You would just check "yes" and explain in the space that your "permit to carry" was denied. They would still investigate your background as usual.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

From NJ OAG Website:

A Regulatory Change For A Handgun Carry Permit To Align And Harmonize The Definition Of “Justifiable Need” With New Jersey Supreme Court Standards:

Published in the New Jersey Register on March 7, 2016, the regulatory amendment will provide greater objectivity, consistency, and clarity in the application of this standard.

The regulation adds "serious threats" to the circumstances that could demonstrate a special danger to the applicant's life - including evidence of serious threats that are not directed specifically at an individual but which establish more than mere generalized fears or concerns - that a private citizen may specify in a written certification of justifiable need submitted with an application for a permit to carry a handgun.

The amendment also clarifies that the issuance of a permit to carry a handgun can be based on a special danger to the applicant's life that cannot be avoided by other "reasonable" means, rather than by “any” means, as the regulation currently provides.

IF you have filed police reports it should be a slam dunk. First get qualified on the firearm you intend to carry. I would apply for a permit regardless of haVing the reports or not. If they deny you it will open a path for a lawsuit.

IF you have filed police reports it should be a slam dunk. First get qualified on the firearm you intend to carry. I would apply for a permit regardless of haVing the reports or not. If they deny you it will open a path for a lawsuit.

No actual police reports, though police have been called to the property on NUMEROUS occasions.

I'm not sure if they keep records of that, though. Was there with my fiance a few months ago and some random chick must have been high and got all up in her face. Had to lock her up and drag the crackhead off her and call the police because she just wouldn't quit.

Fortunately, some of the people in the neighborhood are nice and they took care of it. Other times, i haven't been so lucky. No police reports were filed (Unfortunately, snitches get a lot more than stitches there, too), but they WERE called. Did they show? not as far as i know.

• Like 1

Just curious. I Realize that only a very, very select handful of people have CCW permits here in NJ, but wondering who those people are/what they do. I Manage a property in Newark in a fairly bad neighborhood, and have had my share of run in's with scumbags. Unfortunately, that means i also have to deal with evicting tenants and such, and while some of them are just business owners, some of them are also very shady folks. Threats have been made so many times i don't even know what to take seriously anymore. I've had to call the police for break ins and such on multiple occasions, only to wait hours for them to show up to clear the building so that i can go ahead and secure the gates (mind you, at 3 AM in a back alley on the corner of stratford and clinton ave, an area that is so bad a police officer is stationed there most of the day, every day, to *try* and lower the amount of shootings and such).

I Realize its a long shot, but you guy's think i MIGHT be able to get a permit? My father owns the property i manage (otherwise i wouldn't bother, but if he had to hire a company to deal with them it'd cost a ridiculous amount of money just to have a light bulb changed), and i store some stuff in one of the units so i could register it under my business so that i can carry on me, but i think that would only work for the single unit, right? Also, i wouldn't be allowed to carry from one store to another because i'd have to use the oversized sidewalk, i believe, so that would make things annoying.

Feel free to chime in! The laws are so bass ackwards i have no idea what i can and can not do as far as carrying on the property. If it matters any, i do have a power of attorney to act on my father's behalf.

Here's one option.  See if you're dad will make you co-owner of the property.  It may be the case that you would be able to carry on site and are covered for normal, unloaded, cased transport to and from.  It sounds like a multi-tennant building of some sort. I'm not sure if there are any restriction on that type of owned property or owned business, whatever the case may be.

Here's one option.  See if you're dad will make you co-owner of the property.  It may be the case that you would be able to carry on site and are covered for normal, unloaded, cased transport to and from.  It sounds like a multi-tennant building of some sort. I'm not sure if there are any restriction on that type of owned property or owned business, whatever the case may be.

Shame on me for not describing the building.

Yes, it's a storefront building. There are something like 7 or 8 units, i always seem to forget one. A liquor store, chinese food store, grocery(bodega) store, a Chicken Holiday (Sells just about anything, really), and then a vacant unit up front. Warehouse in the back, and 2nd floor via a small front gate that leads to a flight of stairs and has a church on the left and a vacant unit on the right. The issue i can see coming up, even if i was co-owner, is that in order to get from one unit to another where i normally am working would mean i'd have to walk on the oversized sidewalk to get from one unit to another. I'm not sure until what point might be considered our property, or if it is city property the second i would step out of a unit.

I know that the city makes us sweep the sidewalks and all, but that doesn't mean it is our property. That's why i was contemplating fighting for a CCP. It's something i've been wanting to do, but NJ's track record of handing them out is, well, you know. That and the fact that i'm honestly afraid of being shot while legally carrying by a police officer, hah.

I can make the one vacant unit where i keep some of my tools and stuff my business office, which would mean i could carry in that one unit, but that wouldn't let me carry in front of the building or in other units. The laws are so grey, it's really up to the Police officer that notices the bulge in my shirt..... haha

Shame on me for not describing the building.

Yes, it's a storefront building. There are something like 7 or 8 units, i always seem to forget one. A liquor store, chinese food store, grocery(bodega) store, a Chicken Holiday (Sells just about anything, really), and then a vacant unit up front. Warehouse in the back, and 2nd floor via a small front gate that leads to a flight of stairs and has a church on the left and a vacant unit on the right. The issue i can see coming up, even if i was co-owner, is that in order to get from one unit to another where i normally am working would mean i'd have to walk on the oversized sidewalk to get from one unit to another. I'm not sure until what point might be considered our property, or if it is city property the second i would step out of a unit.

I know that the city makes us sweep the sidewalks and all, but that doesn't mean it is our property. That's why i was contemplating fighting for a CCP. It's something i've been wanting to do, but NJ's track record of handing them out is, well, you know. That and the fact that i'm honestly afraid of being shot while legally carrying by a police officer, hah.

I can make the one vacant unit where i keep some of my tools and stuff my business office, which would mean i could carry in that one unit, but that wouldn't let me carry in front of the building or in other units. The laws are so grey, it's really up to the Police officer that notices the bulge in my shirt..... haha

I'm not sure about Newark, but in some cities, NYC in particular, there are property boundary markers on the sidewalks in many places defining what I'd guess were the corners of the property.  You may have them there.  Not sure if it's up to the building to do it, of if the city makes them do it.  I suspect it may be related to street vendors.  They're not allowed on private property without permission. 

Even if you have those markers and you can easily walk on the owned part of the sidewalk, if you ever took this route, make sure it's all clear to do.  It should be but Essex County may have some ordinance that restricts it.  Assuming they can even add any restrictions

Anyway, just a thought maybe worth looking into.

Lol Clinton Liquors is one of my customers, that area sucks! 

Go talk to a local lawyer familiar with the judges in  Woodbridge. go take a course, log the police activity in the area, nearby issues. Like how trulia advertises for free. IF you get denied, maybe attempt to prepare some sort of legal action.

just to name a few.. 

• 02/14/2016: Shooting/Stabbing. PD o/s with male shot in the leg ems requested
  •  
  • 03/30/2016
    Shooting
    Shooting/Stabbing. Police and EMS on scene w/ 1 confirmed GSW victim. EMS transporting to University Hospital.
    03/30/2016
    Theft of Vehicle
    Auto Theft
    03/30/2016
    Theft from Vehicle
    Theft F/A
    03/30/2016
    Theft
    Theft
    03/30/2016
    Robbery
    Robbery
    03/30/2016
    Theft of Vehicle
    STOLEN VEHICLE RECOVERY
    03/29/2016
    Breaking & Entering
    Burglary
    03/29/2016
    Theft of Vehicle
    STOLEN VEHICLE RECOVERY
    03/28/2016
    Theft
    Theft
    03/27/2016
    Theft from Vehicle
    Theft F/A

•  

Nope, but it doesn't matter what we think. If you're serious about this, apply for one and see what happens.

There was a guy on another NJ forum who was denied on a CCW and says that he had no problems with subsequent P2Ps. This might vary by town as some PDs seem to be making up their own rules.

absolutely consult a lawyer. If i had the funds, i would start with a consultation of sort to establish a line of communication with a lawyer, and a plan of action in the event of a denial.

start a go fund me! id donate towards your fees!. As i can personally relate to your obvious need to be given a conceal carry.