Having shot my 2nd 3 gun match at Easton this weekend I am fully convinced that the 4-12x Nikon I have sitting on my AR is just way too much glass.

I'm looking for advice on what to replace it with.

One option would be a smaller scope, maybe 1-6x like the Vortex Strike Eagle but that is still only a couple of ounces lighter than what I have on there now.

If I went for a red dot I think I'd need some kind of magnifier for the long range shots. How well do these work on a hinged mount?

What else should I be thinking about? Please let me have your ideas.

Thanks,

Stu

I have this Bushnell 1-4 Throw Down PCL scope and love it. http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl I got it for about $160 when Amazon doing a sale. Its had good reviews as entry level 3-Gun scope.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Easton is only 100 yards. my choice Irons, or up to 3X fixed.  Learn how to shoot targets up to 15 yards by rotating the gun like you have offset sights and use the length of the barrel or rail as a sight alignment tool.  Messing with power adjustments just screws with your head during a stage.

• Like 1

I'm shooting zero magnification and I feel for easton it's more than enough, I had no issues with the "long" shots (I would go so far as to say I did well).  Now, if those small targets were at 200 yards I would be singing a different tune

You're young, Stu's old.  My vision ain't what it used to be too :D

Vlad, werent we shooting 4" steel poppers at 100 yards at the OBRPC 3-Gun match last year?

I did fine with just an Aimpoint T1 on that stage.

Sure, but Old bridge and Easton are not the only matches one might want to ever shoot. Personally I wouldn't build a rifle for a specific match, once you leave this immediate area shots to 400+ yards are a thing that you see. Also the stupid skinny self reset targets, at 45 angles at 200+ are a thing.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with red dots, my zombie gun has one, I'm saying that if you want an optic for 3gun or any 0 to 400 range game, there are better choices. If you just like irons or red dots that's fine too, I've gotten spanked by much better shooters shooting red dots at silly distances.

• Like 1

You have the one on the eyepiece for your eyes, then you have one on the bell to set for your target distance. On my bushnell elite I can get 8x at 15 yards crystal clear.

??? Why would you want that?

Because if I want to shoot zombie eyes with 4x at 15 yards I can, if I want to shoot targets with 12x at 200 yards I can, same rifle, and even same range at cj.

Because if I want to shoot zombie eyes with 4x at 15 yards I can, if I want to shoot targets with 12x at 200 yards I can, same rifle, and even same range at cj.

Your rifle, your call....

At 15 yards you are dealing with holdovers to compensate for mechanical offset. That can't be fun or easy at 4x.

At 15 yards you should be able to stack your rounds into the same hole, let alone hit a small target like a "zombie eye" without magnification.

What's your field of view at 15 yards and 4x mag? Must be a stone cold bitch to scan for more targets or track something moving at closer than 100 yards....

Also, how long does it take to adjust your scope to make a clear target at close distance? How much time are you spending fiddling with the scope vs shooting? Threats that close don't often lend themselves to wasted time - whether in a competition or in real life.

Seems there are better ways to do all of that?

With a 50 yard zero your point of impact is only +/- 3" off from point of aim from 0 yards to about ~215 yards (depending on barrel and round) with either iron sights or a RDS.

Sure, but Old bridge and Easton are not the only matches one might want to ever shoot. Personally I wouldn't build a rifle for a specific match, once you leave this immediate area shots to 400+ yards are a thing that you see. Also the stupid skinny self reset targets, at 45 angles at 200+ are a thing.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with red dots, my zombie gun has one, I'm saying that if you want an optic for 3gun or any 0 to 400 range game, there are better choices. If you just like irons or red dots that's fine too, I've gotten spanked by much better shooters shooting red dots at silly distances.

Understood and agree.

I'm just thinking if it's a new hobby, and to start you are only shooting local matches (100 yard range), get a quality RDS now and pick up a good variable power scope down the road if necessary.

Also, how long does it take to adjust your scope to make a clear target at close distance? How much time are you spending fiddling with the scope vs shooting? Threats that close don't often lend themselves to wasted time -

It takes only seconds to adjust, the numbers are right there printed on the bell. It has a mil dot reticule, I know when I need a dot or two. Threats? It's a range toy, I guess if the wind was blowing my targets down I would have to react quicker. Even in a competition I am not taking home any gold, or product endorsements, or even a lunch voucher. I get a lot of fun out of my inexpensive investment ($600 for the AR, $150 for the scope, $100 for the offset buis, everything bought on sale)

It takes only seconds to adjust, the numbers are right there printed on the bell. It has a mil dot reticule, I know when I need a dot or two. Threats? It's a range toy, I guess if the wind was blowing my targets down I would have to react quicker. Even in a competition I am not taking home any gold, or product endorsements, or even a lunch voucher. I get a lot of fun out of my inexpensive investment ($600 for the AR, $150 for the scope, $100 for the offset buis, everything bought on sale)

• Like 1