Lambo2936

Good optics on a budget w/ low magnification (3x or so)

Hey all. Trying to find a decent optic for my Sig M400 with slight magnification; adjustable if possible. I'm on a fairly tight budget and would like to keep things under 3-400$. I purchased a Barska or whatever and it seemed Fantastic with adjustable zoom, green and red illumination at multiple brightness settings, etc. but can't get the thing sighted in; spent probably about 200 rounds sighting it in and about 2 hours of paid range time about a month and a half ago only to have the thing completely lose zero all over again, but, with iron's everything still functioned fine. Wasn't due to an overheated barrel because the rifle had lots of cool down time and all, so i have a feeling the issue is with the sight. I decided to spend a bit more and get something that will also be worth more than its weight in scrap when/if i decide to sell it.
I'd prefer big names ie Aimpoint, but they seem to be much higher than my budget for anything decent with magnification.
Used is fine so long as its in good condition.
Thanks guys!

Save up some more dough and buy quality gear. It never disappoints.

Sometimes it does. As I write this, the EOTech lawsuit thread is just 3 threads down in the New Content view...

As you learned with your Barska - buy once, cry once.

If you still had the $$ you spent on the Barska, you could afford more than a ~$350 optic.

Save up some more dough and buy quality gear. It never disappoints.

Barska was only like 80 bucks on sale on amazon. Reviews were great on it, i have no idea how it can go from being within 3" of dead center at 50 yards to not hitting paper at 25. Lesson learned, haha.

Regardless of how much money i had to spend, i dont think i'd really spend more than that on an optic regardless. I'm not serving in Iraq, and shooting at a range that has a maximum 200 yards means i don't need anything too crazy. Heck, my whole rifle was like 1200$, haha.

Maybe i'm just being cheap, but unless i am shooting competitions or my life relies upon it, i just don't think its necessary.

Sometimes it does. As I write this, the EOTech lawsuit thread is just 3 threads down in the New Content view...

Exactly.

On an 80$ optic, it's whatever. On one of the most popular high end sights out there, though?!

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 ($330'ish)

Burris MTAC 1-4x24 is about the same price too

Burris Fullfield Tac30 is another option.

Bushnell Optics 1-4x24 Throwdown PCL is cheaper.  I have one on a Burris PEPR - it's pretty hefty.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a mount too - and that will add weight as well.

• Like 1

If you read back through this forum, I never claimed EOTurds were quality. In fact I said the exact opposite, loudly and as often as possible.

You can lead a horse to water....

ETA: That being said, when EOTech was notified they got caught screwing the pooch - they showed character and offered refunds. Personally I find that impressive and refreshing in this day and age. Even if the optic disappointed, the company did not, and you got your $$ back to buy something else.

I have a Vortex Strike Eagle. For the $$ it is pretty stellar and Vortex is an excellent company to deal with.

Like mentioned above though, don't forget to factor in the $ and weight of the mount. It all adds up quickly. I think the ADM mount I picked up (Recon-X) cost almost 50% of what I paid for the Strike Eagle optic itself.

Any insight regarding the Burris AR-332/536? They seem to be around the same price range but much more compact. I suppose that's a red dot versus a scope, though, and it's not adjustable.
I wish there was a place that had these things in stock to actually handle.

I'm leaning towards a Vortex Strike Eagle because the 4-12x Nikon M-223 is just too big and heavy for the 3 gun comps I'm getting into.

If the M-223 is what you're after, maybe you can take it off my hands for a fair price. It will come with the Nikon mount too. It definitely holds zero range trip to range trip. I zeroed it about 18 months ago and it still hits where it should.

you are forgetting the number of people that purchased it because it was cheaper than aimpoint or "it doesn't require more $ spent on an additional mount,  both comments common in an etch vs aimpoint thread

My scope of choice for an AR type rifle at a reasonable price is the Nikon P223  3x power. Very bright , clear sight picture, minimal parallax, good focus and it holds zero like a rock.  About $200 with the Nikon P223 offset rings. Really outstanding scope for the money.

As for the Barska they have many shortfalls like a narrow field of view and many of them do not hold zero well. Its a cheaply made lower priced Chinese optic so you cannot expect much.

Anyone know if Cabelas in PA or Bass Pro in AC have sights available on display that i can hold and turn on and play with to see the reticles and all that? I'd like to be able to handle it before i buy. Worst case i'll order from one of the big box stores that have a great return policy.

Thanks!

Anyone know if Cabelas in PA or Bass Pro in AC have sights available on display that i can hold and turn on and play with to see the reticles and all that? I'd like to be able to handle it before i buy. Worst case i'll order from one of the big box stores that have a great return policy.

Thanks!

Cabelas does.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Yep, ran to cabelas and looked around. The Burris AR332 was really nice, but i don't know how i feel about the reticle, it just seems really small to the point where it would block the view of a target at a distance. Even at 100 yds, if i was aiming at a person the guy's whole torso would be glowing red because of the design.
Either make the darn thing a dot, your typical + design or  make it large enough to see the target. Otherwise, i would have walked out with one at the sale price and wouldn't think twice.

Ive been stalking ebay looking for a deal. Ill probably pick one up for now and put it on the 22 later on if i find a good deal on a trijicon Acog of some sort.

The one in the store wasnt functioning properly, i dont think. It was changing brightness and stuff on its own and sort of fading in and out. Does yours do that? Maybe its low battery is all.

Ive been stalking ebay looking for a deal. Ill probably pick one up for now and put it on the 22 later on if i find a good deal on a trijicon Acog of some sort.

The one in the store wasnt functioning properly, i dont think. It was changing brightness and stuff on its own and sort of fading in and out. Does yours do that? Maybe its low battery is all.

No. Neither of the ones I have do that.

Burris has a no bs warranty for life. They will replace anything no questions asked.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

I recently sold my Nikon 1x4 and bought a Primary arms 1x6 and it was the best move I could of made. What a huge difference! There is not a better scope for the money in my opinion, it has a good reticle and illumination and you can sometimes find them on sale for $239. They are very difficult to find in stock as they sell out usually the same date they come in. This scope blows the Nikon away. I wanted the Strike Eagle when I found this one and am very happy and will buy another one when they get back in stock.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-6x-scope-with-patented-acss-556-545-308-reticle-advanced-combined-sighting-system-paps1-6x/p/kt-paps1-6x/

A lot of people have suggested the primary arms. I'd like something like that for another rifle i wanted to pick up that i'd be shooting further with.
Yeah, im still very iffy on the burris. Unless i find one for a good, good deal i don't think i'll be picking one up. It's either too big or too small, depending on how you look at it. Worst case it'll get resold or put on a .22 plinker, haha.

I recently sold my Nikon 1x4 and bought a Primary arms 1x6 and it was the best move I could of made. What a huge difference! There is not a better scope for the money in my opinion, it has a good reticle and illumination and you can sometimes find them on sale for $239. They are very difficult to find in stock as they sell out usually the same date they come in. This scope blows the Nikon away. I wanted the Strike Eagle when I found this one and am very happy and will buy another one when they get back in stock.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-6x-scope-with-patented-acss-556-545-308-reticle-advanced-combined-sighting-system-paps1-6x/p/kt-paps1-6x/

Sorry just nitpicking but it's 1-4x and 1-6x

1x4 would mean a 1x magnification on a 4mm objective 

Found a really cheap Burris 332, picked it up for 200 bucks. Not bad at all.
Now, i picked up a new DDM4V5LW from a member on here that deployed and never even got to use the thing. Has no sights on it, so i have to decide what to put on it. Thinking something with more/variable magnification. The Barska would be perfect and looks fantastic, but it's a pos. Going to save up and get my hands on something else, maybe one of the Vortex's or Primary arms that were suggested. I'd like to try and find a good deal on a second hand one of these as well, seeing as i didn't even plan on purchasing another rifle and now ended up getting a sight and rifle... haha. Still have to order more ammo, soon, too.

Lambo, Check out Nikon's MONARCH 3 2-8x32 BDC scope. Retail is $299 and the low profile will compliment your M400 very nicely and come in under budget. For mounts you might want to take a look at Nikon's P-Series AR Mount. 2 piece's that will give you plenty of flexibility in mounting your scope for a great price. The MONARCH offer's very clear glass, the BDC reticle let's you dial in your rifle scope and ammo plus you have Nikon's No Fault Policy protecting you down the road. 

Will look into it, thanks. So many options around this price point i am completely lost. I think it'll come down to what i can find second hand at the greatest discount, really.. If i have to buy retail, there are over a hundred at around 300$ to pick from, if not more.
I REALLY want an ACOG, and will probably pick one up IF i find one at a decent price, otherwise 800$+ is out of the question for me. Not sure why they are asking 8-900$ For a sight that costs 1,000$ brand new, though. Makes more sense for the higher end units that run at 1400$.. Hopefully i can find one at/under 600$.. Will put it on a credit card if i have to!! (Kidding, i don't have Credit Cards; not a fan of spending $$ i don't have).