Sign in to follow this  
obracer12

suspected out of spec

My first AR build. 

Have a PSA lower with lower parts kit

PSA premium bolt carrier group ( chrome lined, MPI)

PSA premium upper ( chrome lined, blah blah)

milspec buffer tube assembly 

My problem comes with the clearances inside the upper. I bought a cheap-ish charging handle that I suspect is out of spec. Please let me know if you agree or possible troubleshooting to determine other issues. 

But the action is extremely hard to cycle and the bolt will get stuck to the rear, with the CH needing a bump and the bcg will slam home. 

I broke it down and removed the buffer and spring and was able to pull the bolt back with difficulty, not a substantial change from with the buffer/spring in place.. 

Attempted 4 times total and the results are in the pictures. IMG_0546.jpgIMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

Should be about .300-.302 (measured a few I have in the parts bin). The failures experienced with our out of spec batch had the handle binding up about 1/3 of the way through the travel as it was being pulled back. I can't speak to what exactly was out of spec as we just junked them once the issue was uncovered.

Where are you located? Maybe another member can meet up with you and lend you a charging handle. If you are near Woodbridge or East Brunswick, i can pull one from one of my AR's and bring it along just to try it out real quick.
And i'd assume he meant the charging handle.. If it's bent its no good, lol.

ha, I'm a member there. I may just do that. If a guy that looks like your typical depiction of Jesus walks up to you that'd be me.

But I think I found the issue thank to your measurements and a set of calipers. 

The handle is within spec except for the width at .389 and the front lug height .598. Having said that, there looks like a burr on the crown of the CH.. I may shave that off with a jewelers file. But not until I hear back from the company that sent the CH. To preface it so I don't sound like a caveman ready to fix it myself. The crown looks pointed, not flat. It may just be a glob of the coating, I can't tell.