High Velocity

State Required condo inspection?

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of this....

I just received a letter from the condo board of directors. The State wishes to schedule a reinspection due to the violation received during the first inspection. I'm required to be home on a specific day between the hours of 10:00AM-1:00PM. Guess that means I required to take time off of work for this?

Maybe this is some new NJ state law? The reinspection for violations is really strange part. No one from the state has ever requested or performed an inspection in the 15 years I've owned this property.

Contact your board of directors and the HOA to see if this is legit and what it's regarding.

^Definitely. Don't just let them into your house without knowing what the heck it's regarding.

OP stated it was for a re-inspection.

... The State wishes to schedule a reinspection due to the violation received during the first inspection...

Why wouldn't a re-inspection be out of the question? Without you going into any specifics, how would they know the violations were corrected.

OP stated it was for a re-inspection.

Why wouldn't a re-inspection be out of the question? Without you going into any specifics, how would they know the violations were corrected.

"No one from the state has ever requested or performed an inspection in the 15 years I've owned this property."

Re-inspection for what? My understanding is they haven't been there in over 15 years... They now suddenly want to inspect something that has been in violation for 15 years?

I Could be misunderstanding or something, haha.

"No one from the state has ever requested or performed an inspection in the 15 years I've owned this property."

Re-inspection for what? My understanding is they haven't been there in over 15 years... They now suddenly want to inspect something that has been in violation for 15 years?

... The State wishes to schedule a reinspection due to the violation received during the first inspection...

I took the above statement that the OP was recently in violation of something.

After a very few short seconds with GOOGLE, I found:

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/offices/housinginspection.html

Which discusses the statute that says "you're being inspected"....and a few web pages further, I found discussion about the inspections from folks who had been inspected about 9 months ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/newjersey/comments/3de5h9/condo_association_forcing_dca_inspection/

Always remember.....Google is your friend!

Never had anyone, state or town perform an inspection.

After a very few short seconds with GOOGLE, I found:

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/offices/housinginspection.html

Which discusses the statute that says "you're being inspected"....and a few web pages further, I found discussion about the inspections from folks who had been inspected about 9 months ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/newjersey/comments/3de5h9/condo_association_forcing_dca_inspection/

Always remember.....Google is your friend!

I hope that my property will be exempt based on being owner occupied and possibly meet the criteria of having at least two exterior walls unattached to any adjoining building section and where attached, are attached exclusively by fire-resistant rated walls.

lived in my condo for 13 years now never had anyone come for an inspection, state or otherwise.

Yeah.... not sure how efficient the state is.....  never had the inspection in the 1st 10yrs of being here..... then outof the blue it started.....  No Idea :dontknow:

To be honest.... I never let them in...... not taking off work for them..... never received the threatened fine either....