n4p226r

Pinning a b5 sopmod. Also sopmod vs imod

I have an LMT SOPMOD and a B5 Bravo on work guns, and 2 B5 Bravo stocks on personal guns. I prefer them over the VLTOR IMOD.

That being said, I wouldn't not put an IMOD on a gun - They are nice stocks.

As far as pinning, the Bravo is easily, drill through the stock into the receiver extension and pin.

The SOPMOD, I dont know. Looks like it would be difficult.

I have drilled through the release pin mechanism, and pinned that with a roll pin. Doesn't mess up the stock visibly, nor does it drill into the RE.

It prevents the mechanism from working, effectively latching the stock in place.

Did you drill behind the lever? Have any pictures? Did you remove the spring first?

I haven't taken the sopmod apart but I'm guessing it's similar to the m4 stock.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=809/schematicsdetail/AR_15_Sliding_Buttstock_Assembly?avad=avant&aid=41227&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-Avantlink-_-Custom+Link

• Like 1

Oh, and FYI:

https://dsgarms.com/ktb5bravo-blk?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=B5%20Milspec%20Bravo%20Buttstock%20Kit%20-%20Black&utm_campaign=5/6%20Retail%20-%20Armalite%20M15

Kit inlcudes a B5 BRAVO stock in black with milspec buffer tube, buffer spring, standard weight carbine buffer, lock ring and end plate.

B5 Bravo Stock kit for $75 (sign in for full discount).

I figured I would update this in case people look in the future.

Remove the internal spring and drill and pin the location in this picture

A77F9C50-3FB5-499A-BEA7-C2AED31399CA_zps

100% invisible when you put the lever back on.

Drill bit is mc-master Carr part number 3146A113

Roll pin is mc-master Carr part number 92373A126

• Like 1

On 6/5/2016 at 2:26 PM, n4p226r said:

100% invisible when you put the lever back on.

I’m new to a lot of this, and was wondering if you could help break down what you did to drill through the internal stock pin? With my current knowledge I’d most likely ruin the stock and drill around it, since it’s metal. I know this is years later but I have to give it a shot.

On 4/25/2016 at 8:43 AM, Displaced Texan said:

I have drilled through the release pin mechanism, and pinned that with a roll pin. Doesn't mess up the stock visibly, nor does it drill into the RE.

It prevents the mechanism from working, effectively latching the stock in place.

Hello, I’m attempting to pin a SOPMOD myself and I’m having some trouble. Would you be able to share exactly how you would drill through the release pin mechanism? I know the plunger inside is round and if I attempted to drill through as is, I’m assuming the bit would slide off to the side before starting to bite into the pin. Not entirely sure how to end up with the results that the other gentleman had posted before. I know I’m 7 years late to the party but I was hoping you could help me. Thank you.

It’s been a long time, and I since moved to Texas where I unpinned all that crap….

That being said, I think I used a small drill to make a hole at the spot I wanted. Made sure to dimple the plunger mechanism inside. 
Then, I removed the plunger, slowly drilled the rest of the way through it. 
Once I put everything back together I tapped a roll pin in.

I’m out of country on vacation at the moment, but when I get back, I can give you a visual of how I did it. 

On 5/25/2023 at 12:43 AM, 050417Jl said:

Hello, I’m attempting to pin a SOPMOD myself and I’m having some trouble. Would you be able to share exactly how you would drill through the release pin mechanism? I know the plunger inside is round and if I attempted to drill through as is, I’m assuming the bit would slide off to the side before starting to bite into the pin. Not entirely sure how to end up with the results that the other gentleman had posted before. I know I’m 7 years late to the party but I was hoping you could help me. Thank you.

Hey, sorry I kind of forgot about this. 

My stock wasn’t a Sopmod, it’s a Vltor, but I imagine it will be similar. 

Here’s where I drilled on mine. I used a 4-40 set screw to prevent the latch from moving. You could use some JB Weld to putty over the screw, or for that matter, you could just leave it be. I believe as long as it’s not readily adjustable without using a tool, you’re gtg. 

60A16B0E-7B26-427C-B614-45477702881F.jpeg