Ricky_Bobby

Slightly Different - Build or Buy "Budget" AR-15 in the $700 range

UPDATE 6/15/16:  I'll be going with one of the budget models (S&W, Ruger, Colt etc) in the coming weeks/months just as its easier for me to start learning the platform with one of the proven entry level models.  See my most recent post in regards to re-pinning the "fixed" stocks on compliant models.

Well one of my goals this year (election years are always special, every time I hear Bernie or Hillary or heck even Trump speak I'm just itching to do something special with my firearms budget) is to add an AR to the arsenal, I'm decently handy and disassemble/reassemble and change parts out on my other guns, etc, so I wouldn't mind doing a build, would be nice to spread the parts purchases out over a few months, hunt for some deals, etc, and get to know my firearm.  I actually just emailed Steve @ Monmouth Arms about this but thought I'd post here too.

That being said, I'm kind of getting the feeling that a lot of builds aren't necessarily done with as much budget in my mind, correct me if I'm wrong.  Its really skys the limit and making custom to your specs.

Would I consider one of the NJ Compliant models of the Ruger AR556 or the S&W MP15 Sport II for the approx $700 OTD price on the market now?  Absolutely, to me that is a great value, and even down the line if I wanted to add a few custom items to it to "make it my own", I could do that.

I've just been roughly pricing some of the parts kits between stripped lowers, lower parts, grips, stocks, upper receivers, and barrel parts and in my rough estimations I am coming up with definitely a lot more than the "going rate" for one of the popular entry level AR's.  I'm not really a build it cheap kind of guy (I do believe you get what you pay for) so if I'll get better quality at that price point for one of the big names, I'm ok with that.

Should I still consider building, or maybe save it for the future once I'm more familiar with the platform and just go off the shelf for the "first one"?

Any input is appreciated, some great links on parts, in the stickied thread as well.

I'd say build like most members on here. High exposure posted a very good deal on a complete upper package I'm sure he will chime in. Pick up a lower from Steve or any other decent ffl, pick a stock, pin it and you are good to go. Best advise is to shoot a many different configurations you can. People on here are always willing to meet up so you can try things. Look thru the ar picture thread to get an idea of your end goal and see if a factory rifle can do that for you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

^Yeah I mean I'm not looking balls to the wall custom - I build my guns like I build my cars and motorcycles, very OEM+ which in effect would be very factory looking with some small upgrades as details -

I'm also a traditionalist with looks as well, and definitely looking to build a .223/5.56 rifle 1:9 twist 16" barrel, etc.

OTOH, something like the Ruger appeals to me out of the box - save for wanting to put a pinned/welded muzzle brake on there, and get some 15/30 Pmags, it ticks many of the boxes I'd want on a build.  But you're right, the build is the fun....

Its the upper that tells the tail on price point. A mil-spec lower is a mil-spec lower. Get a stripped one and lower parts kit. You'll learn a lot from assembling it your self. The upper, while not hard to assemble, still needs to have the head space checked and brake pinned. Look around and you can get one for around $4-500 more or less.

Have fun! And don't expect to just do one...lol

• Like 1

If the website is correct, RRA is having a nice deal right now at 18% off parts and rifle kits - I just emailed them to be sure it was good on all parts except those on special or clearance, but I can at least get half my build started with their parts and always finish up down the line - nice discount and I always liked RRA.

My vote goes to build.  You will get exactly what you want and learn the platform inside and out.  If you are going to build a precision rifle, I'd recommend letting a gunsmith or armorer mount the barrel.  Mounting the barrel is not complicated, but for precision, I prefer to leave that one task to the pros.  Everything else you can do.

• Like 1

I went with the buy route several years ago with a M&P ORC compliant for about $600. (They are more expensive now). I put a scope, sully stock, and some magpul stuff. Seems to be a solid platform and performer. Down the road I will have the bull barrel threaded. The AR platform was new to me and I wanted to get up and running quickly. My next may be a build.

• Like 1

Bought a S&W M&P Sport...very happy, no complaints.  If I DID have issues; I can send it back to S&W, who will fix it.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785513_-1_798657_772659_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

• Like 1

Bought a S&W M&P Sport...very happy, no complaints.  If I DID have issues; I can send it back to S&W, who will fix it.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785513_-1_798657_772659_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Great discussion guys and yes I agree with all the points on the build portion, it will topple my budget however, even with a sick sale on RRA's stuff just the compliance work will put me over, in comparison with the entry level, compliant "out of the box" AR's.  I'm most likely going to go with the Sport II or 556, I'm a big fan of Ruger's 2 Million Gun pledge to the NRA this year.  That way I can learn the platform and add to it as I go - when the budget allows for unlimited build money and I'm more comfortable on the platform, I'll definitely do a build the second time around.  Then I can give the out of the box gun to my wife to shoot and just go crazy with a build in the future.  She wants to have a baby in the next couple years so I'll need to do something with my time!  LOL

Ruger makes a great AR but I still think you'd be better off building (jmho).  At least buy yourself a couple of lower receivers.  Build em later, sell em, whatever.  It's just good insurance.  The stripped lower is the only serialized part of the rifle.  Once you have that in hand, you can decide what you want to do with them later.

I bought a BCM upper with no handguard for about $400 a couple years ago with a bcg and purchased the lower and parts and assembled them. Assembling the lower only requires a few pin punches. During the Sandy hook mess that same upper was going for about $800.

So if you want to go the 'partial build' and customize' route, It looks like a BCM upper by itself is about $515 now but they often offer deals during the the holidays. Memorial Day is coming. :)

My vote goes to build. You will get exactly what you want and learn the platform inside and out. If you are going to build a precision rifle, I'd recommend letting a gunsmith or armorer mount the barrel. Mounting the barrel is not complicated, but for precision, I prefer to leave that one task to the pros. Everything else you can do.

Why would you need a gunsmith to mount the barrel? There is literally only one way to install it. The only receiver I know that is complicated are BCM's under spec forged uppers. And a little heat gets it to slip right on. The barrel is probably the easiest part of everything to install.

For the love of God, if you get a bcm upper with no handgaurd, REQUEST they send it with the FSB NOT installed. It took me 3 hours to figure out how to drive those damn pins out, and I needed to buy an oversized punch just to get them started.

Built my first AR on a budget - came out great.

Got my upper from JSESurplus.com

Palmetto Lower Build Kits are good for combining the LPK with stock/buffer assembly.

PSA had a magpul complete lower for around 199 yestersay, not sure how you beat a deal like that.

Why would you need a gunsmith to mount the barrel? There is literally only one way to install it. The only receiver I know that is complicated are BCM's under spec forged uppers. And a little heat gets it to slip right on. The barrel is probably the easiest part of everything to install.

I didn't "need" a gunsmith to mount the barrel.  I wanted a gunsmith to do it.  It's the one thing I wanted done with absolute precision because it is a precision rifle.  For any other run of the mill AR, yes, I'd mount it myself.  Any monkey can do it.

EDIT:  btw, it is a BCM upper receiver on my SPR.  That bitch was tight.

Even if a gunsmith did it, what could he have done differently than you doing it?

The only thing I can think of that would help precision is if you bought a shim kit and shimmed the barrel nut so the nut lines up on the lower end of acceptable torque

• Like 1

Well one of my goals this year (election years are always special, every time I hear Bernie or Hillary or heck even Trump speak I'm just itching to do something special with my firearms budget) is to add an AR to the arsenal, I'm decently handy and disassemble/reassemble and change parts out on my other guns, etc, so I wouldn't mind doing a build, would be nice to spread the parts purchases out over a few months, hunt for some deals, etc, and get to know my firearm. I actually just emailed Steve @ Monmouth Arms about this but thought I'd post here too.

That being said, I'm kind of getting the feeling that a lot of builds aren't necessarily done with as much budget in my mind, correct me if I'm wrong. Its really skys the limit and making custom to your specs.

Would I consider one of the NJ Compliant models of the Ruger AR556 or the S&W MP15 Sport II for the approx $700 OTD price on the market now? Absolutely, to me that is a great value, and even down the line if I wanted to add a few custom items to it to "make it my own", I could do that.

I've just been roughly pricing some of the parts kits between stripped lowers, lower parts, grips, stocks, upper receivers, and barrel parts and in my rough estimations I am coming up with definitely a lot more than the "going rate" for one of the popular entry level AR's. I'm not really a build it cheap kind of guy (I do believe you get what you pay for) so if I'll get better quality at that price point for one of the big names, I'm ok with that.

Should I still consider building, or maybe save it for the future once I'm more familiar with the platform and just go off the shelf for the "first one"?

Any input is appreciated, some great links on parts, in the stickied thread as well.

If you have or get a lower, you can build one for under 600 with a Daytona Tactical kit. Similar to this BEFORE THE OPTICS a696220faf4f5d0ba2996091d85236fc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

For me, the decisions start with what i want to do with it. If you want a range toy, then $700 is very reasonable. If you want a precision rifle or wanna compete with it, then its gonna cost more. Like the car guys say; speed is money. How fast ya wanna go?

Either way, i would definitely build your own. Its not hard, potentially better quality for the same money and you learn about the AR platform.

If you have or get a lower, you can build one for under 600 with a Daytona Tactical kit. Similar to this BEFORE THE OPTICS a696220faf4f5d0ba2996091d85236fc.jpg

Thanks for the link on Daytona Tactical, real nice kits!  I like the Magpul stock as well

• Like 1

Thanks for the link on Daytona Tactical, real nice kits! I like the Magpul stock as well

Ordered my kit and took about a week before I got it. Build quality looks good and comes with a color matched 80% lower which I haven't used because I had a polymer lower from Tennessee Arms I scored for $29 during a flash sale. So with that lower and the kit i built it for under $600 without optics. I had spare buis. The kit comes with lpk. Took me about 90 minutes to assemble with basic tools because I switched the trigger from my other AR. I've since added color matched port cover from strike industries, and real sections from Bravo. Still unfired though.

I've put 2336 rounds through my other AR, over 2000 of those with that barska scope and never once had it fail me or require maintenance or adjustment even after taking it off and putting it back in the same place. It doesn't require batteries but you can use batteries for the red and green reticles. It has locking rings to keep the knobs from moving or being moved inadvertently. I don't believe that paying stupid money for glass is necessary. It's for elitists, tacticool crowd and those with less sense than money. Some might be worth it, but when we're talking the realm of the same, close, or more money than the weapon itself. You're paying for a name. It isn't necessary. You do get what you pay for often, but sometimes, you get much less.

Make sure you get something you like the first time. Bought a sig m400 for over 1200$ after nics, taxes, etc. only to pick up a really nice DD a few months later off a member on here... Paid less for it, but performs much better IMO. Haven't put enough rounds through it (only 100 or so so far) to see if its reliable or accurate, but the recoil seems to be much, much more controllable for a small guy such as myself with the comp and all on there..
The Sig may become a safe queen, or, get traded for a new toy.

The MP Sports are great entry level AR's. You get what you pay for, but you wont be able to build anything comparable for the price. Definitely a good place to start, and you can do what i did and swap out grips, handguard, etc. to make it your own. I Threw FDE grip and handguard and probably going to do the stock too on the Sig.

Generally speaking, i'd say build your own, but you won't really be able to build anything nice for the price point you're looking at. Honestly, if you don't mind picking up a lightly used rifle, i'd probably just keep an eye out on gunbroker, armslist, and this forum for a good deal on a rifle. I Got a new Daniel Defense rifle that was sitting in a safe for a while but was never fired, in still new condition with original case and papers and all for 60-70% of its original MSRP. Plus, didn't have to do any compliance work, pay for any ffl, etc... not the deal of a lifetime, but i wish i waited and got this instead of buying the sig originally. I'd have spent the 1200 on some type of 308 AR or something of the sort.

I've put 2336 rounds through my other AR, over 2000 of those with that barska scope and never once had it fail me or require maintenance or adjustment even after taking it off and putting it back in the same place. It doesn't require batteries but you can use batteries for the red and green reticles. It has locking rings to keep the knobs from moving or being moved inadvertently. I don't believe that paying stupid money for glass is necessary. It's for elitists, tacticool crowd and those with less sense than money. Some might be worth it, but when we're talking the realm of the same, close, or more money than the weapon itself. You're paying for a name. It isn't necessary. You do get what you pay for often, but sometimes, you get much less.

I hear your opinion but with all due respect, its contrary to most other opinions on scopes. 

There is a big difference between good glass and cheap glass.  There is a smaller gap between good glass and top of the line glass.  There is a HUGE gap between the top of the line stuff and bottom end glass, like a Barska.  I'm not gonna write a tome on this, there is plenty of info on the Net from actual experiences.

Long story, short- quality glass makes a bigger difference, the longer the distance or the worse the lighting is.  Quality scopes are more durable and reliable.  For me, the biggest issue is how reliable of a zero it holds, especially after dialing the turrets and if the gun gets banged around a little.  Also, how accurately the turrets track is big.

With Barskas, its fine if it sits on a range toy that rarely gets dialed up/down, only goes out on clear, non rainy daytimes and is never used past a couple hundred yards.  For those that have needs above that, no one with experience recommends a Barska. Nobody.