joy

Is brass legal?

I was at the range tonight and after picking up brass, I put one in my pocket and placed it near the dash in my car. As I was driving home contemplating the nonsense against guns in jersey, I started thinking, could that one empty 22 casing in my car get me arrested?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Extremely interested in this and will follow. It's one of those stupid questions you really have to look into in NJ, haha.
I had a bag full of brass spill in my back seat and frantically cleaned the hell out of it to make sure there wasn't one in view; god forbid the wrong police officer see's it if i get pulled over...

As far as I know, the only state that will arrest and put you in jail for a spent casing is Washington DC.

I suppose that a cop could say that it is "probable cause" and ask to search your vehicle. It's not illegal, but could open the door for a search if you feel like tempting that possibility. Let us know how it turns out? ;)

Thats what i figured. I doubt its illegal, but like you said i'd imagine it would serve as probable cause.. If he finds a lost live round or an unlocked box of ammo or something stupid, then you'll be SOL.. I try and keep everything locked and hidden... Even if i am transporting them properly (which i always do) its just not worth the risk of having to explain..

Especially when everyone thinks Hollow points are illegal in NJ. They kept talking on NJ 12 newsabout some guy in newark getting caught with a handgun at the airport with hollow points and how hollows are illegal here and i messaged NJ 12 on facebook and they corrected the guy. Next time he mentioned it, he didn't say anything about hollows being illegal.

Guy, NJ laws are sufficiently stupid by themselves, please don't invent new ones. You can drive around with buckets of brass all day they are not a thing covered by any law. You can drive around for the lifetime of the car with case of ammo in your trunk as long as it isn't hollow points.

If pulled over for a MV violation and observed by the officer, it could be PC for a search.  Even an empty ammo box on the back seat could be PC.  Dummy round hanging from the rear view mirror.  However, if that dummy round has a hollow point bullet, guess what, possession of hollow points, as it's the bullet not the cartridge.  At that point, hopefully one of the exempted allowances kick in (to/from hunting/range, store, etc).

• Like 1

Spent brass exemption article 23 may only be transported to recycle center.

kidding of course 

Serious Friendly PSA about spent brass and those with kids that go to the range...always check their pockets before they go to school! 

• Like 2

Spent brass exemption article 23 may only be transported to recycle center.

kidding of course

Serious Friendly PSA about spent brass and those with kids that go to the range...always check their pockets before they go to school!

LOL, that's funny

If pulled over for a MV violation and observed by the officer, it could be PC for a search. Even an empty ammo box on the back seat could be PC. Dummy round hanging from the rear view mirror. However, if that dummy round has a hollow point bullet, guess what, possession of hollow points, as it's the bullet not the cartridge. At that point, hopefully one of the exempted allowances kick in (to/from hunting/range, store, etc).

Hollow points are illegal? I bought hollow points in the store a year ago. How can that be? Also, what is PC other than politically correct?

Hollow points are illegal? I bought hollow points in the store a year ago. How can that be? Also, what is PC other than politically correct?

Hollow Points can only be transported within the exemptions.

Probable Cause

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

If pulled over for a MV violation and observed by the officer, it could be PC for a search.  Even an empty ammo box on the back seat could be PC.  Dummy round hanging from the rear view mirror.  However, if that dummy round has a hollow point bullet, guess what, possession of hollow points, as it's the bullet not the cartridge.  At that point, hopefully one of the exempted allowances kick in (to/from hunting/range, store, etc).

How would it be PC. Probable cause for what? Spent brass is not classified as anything in this state. Would I be under suspicion of recycling?

Do we have an example where this being an issue?

lol, I drive around 100% of the time with shotgun shells in my Jeep. Funny enough it's the one thing I consistently forget to grab at 3am running out the door, hence why I keep 4 boxes under the back seat.

I don't buy reasonable suspicion bull crap on having ammo or boxes or casesing in plain sight. Non of that is an indication your breaking the law, unless it's a HP.

How would it be PC. Probable cause for what? Spent brass is not classified as anything in this state. Would I be under suspicion of recycling?

Do we have an example where this being an issue?

I never heard of an example and I doubt that a cop would bother 98.43% of the time. But on a bad day you'd have to hire a lawyer to explain to a corrupt judge before eight or nine people pretending to work in his court that there's nothing on the books. 

I thought that the question was rediculous until I saw that brass is illegal in DC and MA ???!!! What are you going to do with brass ?

It's also interesting to me that the hollow point bullet would be a problem without a cartridge ? I've never heard of anyone being worried about having a case of hollow point bullets only in the car.

I never heard of an example and I doubt that a cop would bother 98.43% of the time. But on a bad day you'd have to hire a lawyer to explain to a corrupt judge before eight or nine people pretending to work in his court that there's nothing on the books.

I'm not sure what your referring to here. A cop would have to explain how what he saw indicated a law was being violated, and to end up in court you would have to be cited for breaking that law.

I have to ask.... Of these examples whcih is RS/PC empty gun case, box of ammo, empty cases, empty holster, weapon light, a gun friendly T-shirt or hat. A target, shooting gloves glasses or ear muffs. Camo gear... Gun oil, sights and scopes... A range bag... A hunting bag..

I thought that the question was rediculous until I saw that brass is illegal in DC and MA ???!!! What are you going to do with brass ?

It's also interesting to me that the hollow point bullet would be a problem without a cartridge ? I've never heard of anyone being worried about having a case of hollow point bullets only in the car.

this how we know where the retards live.

Or I can live in fear 100% of the time that somehow there might be a loose .22 case in my car? Screw that.

Lol I went to get a new tire in a bit of a sleazy place and the guy was quite a bit bigger than me, so to get the car on the lift he had to move the seat all the way back and when he did so he saw a couple of .40 casings. I'm not sure when they fell there or how long they'd been there, but after that he treated me a little differently.

As far as I know, the only state that will arrest and put you in jail for a spent casing is Washington DC.

I suppose that a cop could say that it is "probable cause" and ask to search your vehicle. It's not illegal, but could open the door for a search if you feel like tempting that possibility. Let us know how it turns out? ;)

The thread could have been over right here.  Good advice AdamM.  

New Jersey operates under the presumption of guilt for possession of handguns. 

Handguns are illegal in NJ (without a CCW permit, and good luck with that), except for the exemptions.  The burden of proof is on the citizen, not on the state.  In other words, you can be arrested and charged (according to Nappen), and it would be up to you to prove that you were operating within the exemptions, so good reason not to ever provide probable cause for a search.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what your referring to here. A cop would have to explain how what he saw indicated a law was being violated, and to end up in court you would have to be cited for breaking that law.

No he doesn't, and if he did so what? All he has to do is arrest you and -- despite no law on the books -- let the courts determine your guilt or innocence. The process is the punishment. Not once in a million years would the officer be held liable by any court in any state. You could sue him of course and after spending $200,000 on lawyers, lose. 

Again, I'm talking about the cop having a bad day. Which is why I've removed all visual evidence from my vehicle that I have anything whatsoever to do with firearms, the Grateful Dead, marijuana legalization, the Nazi Party, or NAMBLA.

• Like 1

I'm having a very difficult time understanding what this officer would be arresting you for.

If an officer can't justify his PC it doesn't even go to court, the case gets thrown out based on violations of the 5A, unreasonable search and seizures. If the officer wants to force search the vehicle using PC he would need a supervisor and the report would indicate the PC. Even so, bad day cop makes up PC... What is he arresting you for?

Or I can live in fear 100% of the time that somehow there might be a loose .22 case in my car? Screw that. 

I thought we were speaking specifically of items that were placed purposefully to be fully visible from outside the vehicle. Although that's not PC by any stretch all it takes to get arrested almost anywhere, not just in NJ, is for a cop, who thinks you're an asshole for dangling a 50 cal shell from your rearview mirror, to state that he smells pot.

Why would he do that when he doesn't actually smell pot? I don't know I'm not a cop but it happens. My philosophy, independent of NJ or anywhere else, is no decals ornaments fixtures or acoutrements on anything I drive except for a PBA sticker. Yes I'm an ass-kisser. Specifically an ass-kisser who takes zero chances of getting involved with the law. An ass-kisser who doesn't give them a chance in 50,000 to stop or interrogate me for any reason.

This has nothing to do with NJ paranoia, a separate pathology from which I and many others in these forums suffer.

I'm having a very difficult time understanding what this officer would be arresting you for.

If an officer can't justify his PC it doesn't even go to court, the case gets thrown out based on violations of the 5A, unreasonable search and seizures. If the officer wants to force search the vehicle using PC he would need a supervisor and the report would indicate the PC. Even so, bad day cop makes up PC... What is he arresting you for?

Is it true that every instance of search involves calling a supervisor? Let's assume you're right. Supervisor drives down and the cop embellishes his narrative a bit. Say he takes the boss aside and tells him you were mouthing off, you were an asshole, you resisted showing your documents. You believe the supervisor is going to pull out a law book, or tell is guy "hey it's just your word against his"? At the very least you've wasted 40 minutes. Or he might actually find something. Not in your car or mine because we always follow the law...

Might be illegal, but it'll still cost you a hell of a lot of headache and maybe money...

Better safe than sorry!

I don't need any headaches. Just a shame legal gun owners are so harassed in NJ. It's otherwise a great state