1LtCAP

we have any diesel guys in here?

got an 05 ford superduty 6.0 diesel in the shop. came in no fuel pressure. found bad frame mounted pump, and both fuel filters plugged, and a fist ful of codes.  replaced all three, cleared the codes, and now engine fires up with misfire, and a "hissing" noise that coincides with the miss. it'll run for about 2 to 5 minutes, then loses power, throttle response, then dies. acts exactly like it's run outta fuel. no codes have returned as yet.

watching datastream, bmap is right on the money at 158hz. maf shows me only .28g/sec, but this vehicle has on maf.

i'm not a diesel guy, and this is probably the 2nd or 3rd diesel i've done anything more than just basic maintenance on.

anyone? help?

thanks!!

Not a mechanic, but symptoms sound like what happens to me when I screw up changing the fuel filter on my diesel tractor. Need to bleed the air out of the lines to injectors. Crack open the connection to the injector and prime the air out. I also have a bleeder on the top of the injector pump. After then it runs fine. Just a thought,

Are you sure the injectors and rail are fully primed?   It can take quite some time to get all the air out of the rail after a filter change.   I'm only familiar with the 7.3 after injector changes, no experience on a 6.0.   I also have helped re-prime bigger logging trucks and such.

Also, is the return line clogged?  This can cause it to act as if it's starving of fuel.

I had a 6.0. I considered it a ticking time bomb. Have you checked the output voltages on the FICM? If you take the access cover off there are terminals for a test probe. Don't ground it out, it should read 46v or higher. Some voltage dip is normal on colt start and throttle but it should never dip below 46v. See this guide: https://swampsdiesel.com/files/FICMvoltageTest.pdf

I've come across a few posts in the past where a bad FICM can imitate a failing MAP sensor

Also make sure the HPOP screen is not clogged.

i'm not a ford guy but I know those 6.0s have had issues with injector " stickshon" and ficm and hpop issues.  my thoughts would be check and make sure the injectors and associated parts are working electrically. then go for mechanical issues. not sure if you can check flow rates on the 6.0 injectors while in the truck but if you can that may help lead to an answer.

if it was a duramax I  could help better, but i'm just not up on the power strokes

the thing is i told him not to buy this truck a few years back, 'cause of the issues with the 6.0. even those of us that don't work on em much know that those engines are shit, good for not much more than boat anchors.

that said.....he's pulling it to the dealer today........

the thing is i told him not to buy this truck a few years back, 'cause of the issues with the 6.0. even those of us that don't work on em much know that those engines are shit, good for not much more than boat anchors.

that said.....he's pulling it to the dealer today........

Ford Dealer Diesel OUCH! I see a thousand dollar bill for sure and they will still change everything you did just because.

Keep us in the loop and Good Luck.

Ford Dealer Diesel OUCH! I see a thousand dollar bill for sure and they will still change everything you did just because.

Keep us in the loop and Good Luck.

gonna cost him more than that. last time he had it at the dealer, it was nearly a $5k bill......and they had it for a month give or take a few days........so far they've had it 2 weeks now, and nothing.......

gonna cost him more than that. last time he had it at the dealer, it was nearly a $5k bill......and they had it for a month give or take a few days........so far they've had it 2 weeks now, and nothing.......

Wow time to trade it in and hope$ Then again you get to a point you have so much into it you'll never get back nearly it's value.

I didn't realize the date on the thread.

Good Luck

^^^^ Yup. stealership is gonna have a field day with that guy. Has anyone checked boots and clamps? I cant tell you how many times people have come to me saying " i have a weird hissing noise" or "a weird squealing noise and i dont know what it is. i think my turbo is taking a shit"....and its a fucking split boot or loose clamp. most have mentioned the obvious though, egr valve, egr cooler, i would swap out the fuel pressure regulator for a blue spring kit... as its very easy and commonly goes bad,  check icp, HPOP, HPOP screen, injectors, yadda yadda....the list goes on. contact me if your buddy would like another option than the dealership. i have a good buddy who can bang that out no problem