mikeyjones

RTSP VIP membership lets you do whatever?

So I finally decided to vent about this:

I go to RTSP at least 1x a week. Every time I go, there's always the same guy that's a "VIP" just doing continuous mag dumps in the rifle range. The RO's just play it off or even worse, help him load his mags and shoot w/ him.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't care about someone wasting $ and sending it downrange.  I only care because I get told to calm down when I do controlled double taps - the range is only supposed to be controlled slow fire.  

Today really got to me because the guy was there w/ what appeared to be his pre-teen son and one of his friends.  They were having races to see who could dump their mag faster.  Again one of the RO's was joining in on the fun.  

Now my question to you guys: should you get to do whatever you want just because you pay a little more money? Are we creating a de facto tiered citizenship? Or should the same "SAFETY" rules apply to everyone?

What say ye?

Go to a club meeting, if they have one, and openly complain about the guy.

Be prepared to make your case about how his actions fly in the face of the club rules. If in fact thats the case.

A club based on "bought" privilege rather than safety seem ass backwards to me.

Go to a club meeting, if they have one, and openly complain about the guy.

Be prepared to make your case about how his actions fly in the face of the club rules. If in fact thats the case.

A club based on "bought" privilege rather than safety seem ass backwards to me.

It's not a private club, it's a public range.  Talk to the manager in private maybe?  Stress your concern about the person in question and their "safety" and the RO vs you getting yelled at for controlled double-tap practice.  You can tell them you're a USPSA/IDPA Competition shooter and want to practice...

This I am sure as little to do with VIP status and is most likely due to the fact that the guy is a regular and knows the RO's very well.....   NOT an excuse, but merely an explanation. I do agree with you....  Rules are rules, and I will pass this along to the owners.....

Mag dumps are one thing, but unless you're shooting out lightbulbs, I think it's BS to not be able to do controlled rapid fire. If I ever have to use a firearm in a self defense situation, I suspect it won't be slow fire. But as you say, their range, their rules. Just keep in mind that Gun for Hire won't hassle you as long as you're being safe about it and your shots are landing where they're supposed to.

This I am sure as little to do with VIP status and is most likely due to the fact that the guy is a regular and knows the RO's very well.....   NOT an excuse, but merely an explanation. I do agree with you....  Rules are rules, and I will pass this along to the owners.....

I've heard this to be true - that this person is friends (friendly?) with the owner(s).

It's funny that without mentioning names, you already know who I'm referring to.  

I did mention it to the person working the counter as I was leaving and I just got the generic response of "I don't agree with it but there's nothing I can do about it."

Hey..... it happens in every business, people with throw around owners names......  a lot of the times.... you will find the owners don't even know the person.

But I will say this....  if you do get to know the RSO's and get then comfortable with you, as long as you let them know you want to do some controlled pairs or even a little more, you will be fine. ....  

When I RSO there..... I will watch and see who knows what they are doing, if you are experienced and let me know you want to do something out of the norm.... I would have no issues depending on the current conditions at the moment ...  ie: Instructor in next port trying to give a lesson, surrounded by usual rental crowd on weekend, etc....

Case by case basis.....

I have never seen anyone get busted for Controlled Pairs..... I think that is totally ok for an experienced shooter.

• Like 1

Did you ask the RO while it was happening? I would gave asked him why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have in the past and they just give me an answer along the lines of "he's friends w/ the owner".

Animal farm is exactly what comes to mind. All animals are equal, some are more equal than others....

I have in the past and they just give me an answer along the lines of "he's friends w/ the owner".

Animal farm is exactly what comes to mind. All animals are equal, some are more equal than others....

I would have rebutted on that. They wanted to do that type of shit, after hours. Not in front of patrons.

take some of Rich's handgun classes. When you check in ask for a red card. I believe if your LE, military or proof of training your entitled to a red card which tells try RSO your not a unsafe idiot. They still focus on safety but there are always people doing double taps when I shoot and they are not usually VIP and no one gives them a hard time.

Just speaking to the RSO beforehand can make your practice much easier and keep their attention where it can be best used. And I wouldn't suggest it on the busy times as they have way too much activity to know if port 18 or 19 is doing rapid fire.

• Like 1

RTSP is a good bunch of folks that run a good operation. Instead of trying to get a bunch of speculative answers on an Internet forum why not just ask them directly? I think Pete Miscia (sp?) is on this forum so PM him and let him know about your experience otherwise do it face-to-face. They're in business so I'm guessing they'll care about your feedback. If not, spend your money elsewhere.

I'm not one to take to the Internet unless I've not gotten satisfactory or unsatisfactory answers from the people involved.

Take my comments as you wish.

I was a member and when i was i got red card so i could practice from my holster and rapid fire. However i did not do mag dumps . If you are LE or shoot competitively and can prove it, they will generally give you a red card. Pete was/is always fair and very approachable.  They may or may not want to see how you handle yourself. It's their range, they are the ones that are liable if something goes sideways. Bring your concerns to ownership , You will gain nothing on here but opinions.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of the kind comments.  I have personally spoken to the member and it has been "Handled".

Peter,

I just want to make it clear that I'm not disparaging the business.  I just don't think people should have special privileges simply because they pay more - especially when those rules are in place because of "safety". 

The fact that everyone automatically recognizes who the member is without names being mentioned proves that this was not a one-off situation.

• Like 1

Side question. How busy is a Monday afternoon like 12-2? Also can 3 people be on a port? My friend who has never handled a firearm wants me to take him and the girlfriend would probably come as well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Black man getting the malocchio is Bullshit.

There was an unfortunate article on nj.com in the last year that identified "a popular Randolph gun range" as being a training locale for Newark gang-bangers. It might have put them on edge and caused them to give the stink eye to people.

• Like 1

There was an unfortunate article on nj.com in the last year that identified "a popular Randolph gun range" as being a training locale for Newark gang-bangers. It might have put them on edge and caused them to give the stink eye to people.

Would like to see that article if anyone can find it. I don't believe that one bit at rtsp.

Nevermind a quick search I found it. My take is they think the gang members met there once not like tons of gang members go regularly.

I'm not a member at RTSP, but as often as I've been going to shoot there lately, I'm thinking about it.  My wife and I enjoy shooting there very much, especially my wife during the colder months.  During my last visit, I was told that the rate at which I was shooting would have to be as fast as I could go.  I was shooting 6 shot strings at a USPSA paper target.  Obviously, I'm not a fan of the "no rapid fire" rule, b/c it's sort of subjective.  But I had no problem w/ the RO doing his job.  I simply explained that they were all controlled shots, and that was that.   I've never witnessed the irresponsible favoritism that started this thread, but it seems like it's been addressed.  Cool.

MM