Rob0115

Starting my first bolt action precision rifle

I've always wanted a really good bolt action rifle.  My current "precision" sticks would be my mega billet based, side charger AR in 6mmAR.  it is fantastic, may head to cherry ridge today and shoot it.  I also have a completely redone Ranch 14 with 24" barrel done buy Accuracy Systems in AZ that shoots sub MOA.  Lastly I have an LR308 that's a terrific tack driver.

So given that I only really have a bunch of evil black rifles I thought it time for a mature bolt action (tongue firmly in cheek).   So I didn't really have a timeframe on this but unfortunately Klownpuncher had a deal, in the caliber I wanted, that I couldn't refuse get this kicked off.

I purchased a nice Remington 700 LA with .540 magnum bolt face and a Hawk Hill .30 caliber blank (and a bunch of reloading supplies), thus the rifle will be a 300 Win Mag.  So that's what I have.

I'm going to have T1 Defense build this for me, spoke to them Thursday, but I'm not that knowledgable, although I'm sure they'll educate me.  I am not sure I would do a chassis because I may want something more portable.  I seem to fancy the McMillan A5 stock at this point with detachable magazine rather than floor plate.  

Beyond that I don't have anything decided, not that I'm even firm on the stock.  

Feel free to chime in.

Just two things-

Dont rule out a chassis if you want something "portable". Some chassis, like a KRG X ray, are lighter than most tactical stocks.

I highly recommend T1 Defense. Mike is greatvto work with, does great work and is a knowledgible guy.

Just two things-

Dont rule out a chassis if you want something "portable". Some chassis, like a KRG X ray, are lighter than most tactical stocks.

I highly recommend T1 Defense. Mike is greatvto work with, does great work and is a knowledgible guy.

Uhhhh, yup.  Nothing more to add, honestly.

Me, I like the McMillan's but they run a bit high priced (for what you get) for my taste.  The Manners with the "Mini-Chassis" is the way I would go personally if I was looking for something along those lines.  I do like chassis' tho.  

Start researching glass.  Since you have most of what you will need, that is gonna be your big expense that is gonna need bought pretty quickly.  Mike doesn't fuss around with time frames.  

Good luck.

I've started looking at scopes but I'm not sure of exactly which power to consider. I saw a really nice trijicon 4-16x50 today but I might not be enough scope. I have a vortex PST FFP 6-24x50 on my 6mmAR which may be better suited to this, then I could put the trijicon on the 6mmAR.

Ok what I know so far:

Barrel will be cut to 26"

Action trued

Badger knob

Badger lug

Apa little bastard gen 2

Seekins 20 MOA base.

Leaning towards a Jewell trigger.

Looking at a couple different stocks and chassis.

Defiance Deviant SA

24" Brux barrel w/ hybrid flutes

APA Little Bastard Gen 2

Manners EH-1 stock

Manners DBM magazine

Badger Bipod Rail

Atlas detachable bipod

Timney Trigger

Can decide if I really want to spend the money on a night force optic. Otherwise it'll be a Vortex Viper PST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

attachicon.gif6mm target.JPGHey Rob - Ya built that 6mmAR.  Did you ever wring it out.

Mine is a shooter.  I just have to learn how to shoot...LOL

Was out Thursday.  This is 5 @ 300

It out shoots me every time I get it out. I haven't shot it since I got the Vortex FFP because the weathers been crap, rifle is still in NJ, but I wanted to try last weekend and today but no chance. I may take it down to Florida next week when I go back. Better chance of shooting it.

I cooked up some rounds with 28 grains of H4895 and I'm made some with CFE223, your recipe, but have t gotten out to try. All loaded to max mag length.

I'm excited to see yours doing so well since the barrels are identical mine should be capable, however I'm not. Still love it though.

Defiance Deviant SA

24" Brux barrel w/ hybrid flutes

APA Little Bastard Gen 2

Manners EH-1 stock

Manners DBM magazine

Badger Bipod Rail

Atlas detachable bipod

Timney Trigger

Can decide if I really want to spend the money on a night force optic. Otherwise it'll be a Vortex Viper PST

I'm going to do the atlas bipod as well. I thought about the Timney, had two in ARs and loved them, but Jewell reviews were fantastic. Maybe I should reconsider? I have a little time.

I was looking at the manners T4A carbon fiber, XTR, McMillan tactical, KRG whiskey and a chassis that Mike had for another customer. I don't remember what it was but it was very comfortable.

Good luck and keep up to date on progress.

I wanted to do the Jewell but they talked me out of it for what I was gonna use it for. They said I shouldn't use it for hunting due to how low it can be set and it's easily susceptible to dirt.

Rob don't discount a standard old school Remington trigger. I have 3 precision build they all use a tuned remmy, break right about 2.5 lbs. and no creep. All cost about $40. The only other trigger I liked was a Huber 2 stage, but decided to stick with a single stage. When you come back to Fl you are more then welcome to check them out.

• Like 1

First custom rifle build. Congrats!

I was there once. All I can say is that it probably wont be your last. You seem to like a variety of calibers in your life. I am the same way, lots of mouths to feed at the reloading table. I probably reload for 12-15 different calibers now. I lost count. Its a fun journey though.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably have only three custom builds. All identical stocks, and scopes. A 22LR trainer for 100 yards or less (an Anschutz or a CZ455 customized to shoot like an Anschutz), a 223 or 308 for general purpose training and practice (since they have very long barrel life) , and one match rifle for competition in either 260 rem or 6.5x47 lapua (less barrel life but better ballistics). Glass would be Schmidt & Bender PMII  5-25x mil/mil with the P4F or MSR reticle. Stock would be a Manners T4A or a Accuracy International AX post 2014 chassis system. Thats what I am most comfortable behind.

I have a J Allen stock and the grip angle while shooting prone is very comfortable. They are well made stocks I will say that. I just think they are heavy and clunky otherwise. If you are staying stationary off the bench or prone then it doesnt matter.

First custom rifle build. Congrats!

I was there once. All I can say is that it probably wont be your last. You seem to like a variety of calibers in your life. I am the same way, lots of mouths to feed at the reloading table. I probably reload for 12-15 different calibers now. I lost count. Its a fun journey though.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably have only three custom builds. All identical stocks, and scopes. A 22LR trainer for 100 yards or less (an Anschutz or a CZ455 customized to shoot like an Anschutz), a 223 or 308 for general purpose training and practice (since they have very long barrel life) , and one match rifle for competition in either 260 rem or 6.5x47 lapua (less barrel life but better ballistics). Glass would be Schmidt & Bender PMII  5-25x mil/mil with the P4F or MSR reticle. Stock would be a Manners T4A or a Accuracy International AX post 2014 chassis system. Thats what I am most comfortable behind.

I have a J Allen stock and the grip angle while shooting prone is very comfortable. They are well made stocks I will say that. I just think they are heavy and clunky otherwise. If you are staying stationary off the bench or prone then it doesnt matter.

Great Paul,

Why didn't you give me that advise when you got me hooked on long range shooting? I could have saved thousands....  :) Oh and as far as the 6.5x47 it is a great round, 66 inches less drop then my .308s at 1000 yds

Trigger: CG Jackson 2 stage with tactical trigger shoe.  I think that completes the parts pile.  I think I'll have the action and barrel cerakoted tan or FDE, I have to have another look at the stock though.