Newtonian

Why We're Doomed

As I've written before gun rights have been the only positive development during the last three decades. Free speech is on its way out. We're tracking closely with Europe with regard to overly broad prohibitions on "offensive" speech, writing, and even beliefs. The Supreme Court has gutted the 4th amendment (searches). We have secret, extra-legal courts to deal with "terrorism" and that answer to no-one. Dennis Hastert was convicted not of molesting children but of "layering" savings withdrawals. Hell, I got a letter last year from my bank, citing some strange law, because I was using my ATM too frequently.

Good article on how we've abandoned constitutional government: http://bit.ly/1rtcqm9

Have you heard a single presidential candidate this past year talk about smaller government and lowering taxes? Those have become dead-letter issues.

Comedians won't go near college campuses for fear of being black listed for "offensive" jokes. We've become infatuated with providing wedding cakes for lesbians and transgender bathroom "rights." Our entire civil discourse is dominated by myths -- Black Lives Matter being only one example. Our children are brainwashed from grammar school. Our universities are hotbeds of loony left wing propaganda. 

Given this climate, and the in-pouring of foreigners with no concept of liberty, I do not believe the Second Amendment will survive much longer. Our next president recently gave a speech for gun control in which she asked, "how can we let a small minority [gun owners] dictate to the rest of us?" That's a paraphrasal but it shows what we're in for. We are, actually and in terms of numbers, a minority. And as you know "democracy" is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Forum contributors living in gun-friendly states keep saying "it can't happen here." I would have said the same about the various left-wing pathologies that have overcome us. But dammit it's happened. Guns are next.

So what's your plan?  Wait to die?

Harbor Freight has a good deal on rope there sunshine, 

http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/rope/1-2-half-inch-x-50-ft-sisal-rope-91912.html

It's probably made in China though

So what's your plan?  Wait to die?

I don't have a plan except to resist in any practical or semi-practical way I can. I'm warning that guns are not the only issue, and urging against complacency. Whenever somebody says it can't happen here, it happens.

What is your plan?

Preppers have fantasies of hiking through the woods for 30 miles to a bugout location that does not exist with a wife and three under-ten-year-olds in tow while carrying 10 gallons of water, 2000 rounds of ammo, enough food for a week, a cooking stove, several full propane tanks, their entire gun collection, clothing, medical supplies, and a "sur-vah-ville" Swiss Army knife. Something to whimsy as they're falling asleep -- I have similar fantasies -- but not very practical.

Is your plan to wait until the SHTF and then exercise your god-given constitutional natural 2nd Amendment right to do...exactly what with your firearms?

I'm not being a prick I'm just pointing out some issues from my perspective of watching this shit unravel for so long. 

I don't have a plan except to resist in any practical or semi-practical way I can. I'm warning that guns are not the only issue, and urging against complacency. Whenever somebody says it can't happen here, it happens.

What is your plan?

Preppers have fantasies of hiking through the woods for 30 miles to a bugout location that does not exist with a wife and three under-ten-year-olds in tow while carrying 10 gallons of water, 2000 rounds of ammo, enough food for a week, a cooking stove, several full propane tanks, their entire gun collection, clothing, medical supplies, and a "sur-vah-ville" Swiss Army knife. Something to whimsy as they're falling asleep -- I have similar fantasies -- but not very practical.

Is your plan to wait until the SHTF and then exercise your god-given constitutional natural 2nd Amendment right to do...exactly what with your firearms?

I'm not being a prick I'm just pointing out some issues from my perspective of watching this shit unravel for so long. 

Bugging out is not my plan.

As far as a "plan"... when time permits, and it often doesn't....

-Doing what I can to argue rationally with people who are opposed to the rule of law, sovereignty, liberty and personal responsibility.  Also why our 2A rights make sense and aren't negotiable.

-Introducing people to firearms when possible

-Supporting politicians that share enough of my views and don't oppose too many.  In some cases... 1 is too many.

-Being an activist for our rights.  Sometimes difficult to do and remain employed, but as mush as possible.

My post was in response to what seemed to me like a fatalistic, defeatist attitude or view.. on the future of the country.  I don't disagree we have some serious issues and serious threats to our freedom and way of life, but I don't plan to just watch.  I am by no means among the most active people in terms of these fights.  Probably far from it.  I just have a number of things piled on me, so my time is limited.  But I'll still do what I can.  You seem to be saying..."We're screwed... or actually... "We're Doomed" .....  and I absolutely hate losing.  I get the concept of living to fight another day, but I can't accept a situation where we just lay down and 'accept' tyranny.

-Doing what I can to argue rationally with people who are opposed to the rule of law, sovereignty, liberty and personal responsibility.  Also why our 2A rights make sense and aren't negotiable.

-Supporting politicians that share enough of my views and don't oppose too many.  In some cases... 1 is too many.

-Being an activist for our rights.  Sometimes difficult to do and remain employed, but as mush as possible.

My post was in response to what seemed to me like a fatalistic, defeatist attitude or view.. on the future of the country.  I don't disagree we have some serious issues and serious threats to our freedom and way of life, but I don't plan to just watch.  I am by no means among the most active people in terms of these fights.  Probably far from it.  I just have a number of things piled on me, so my time is limited.  But I'll still do what I can.  You seem to be saying..."We're screwed... or actually... "We're Doomed" .....  and I absolutely hate losing.  I get the concept of living to fight another day, but I can't accept a situation where we just lay down and 'accept' tyranny.

You're doing the right thing IMO. That's pretty much my plan as well.

Being a fatalist is very easy these days. I have been following the disintegration of our country for about 50 years. Things happened slowly at first. Now they're spinning out of control. Just look at the last 15 years.

The bright side is if you're a gloom-and-doomer like me you're rarely disappointed, and you're right more often than people give you credit for.

P.S. I was not implying that you were a "bug-outer." I was using that as an example of a fantasy solution to one particular set of circumstances. I've read more than a few posts here shouting about "I HAVE MY GUNS AND 30,000 ROUNDS LET THEM COME AFTER ME!" Let's see how brave we are when the time comes.  

Newtonian,,,,,,,,,,,

"Given this climate, and the in-pouring of foreigners with no concept of liberty, I do not believe the Second Amendment will survive much longer. Our next president recently gave a speech for gun control in which she asked, "how can we let a small minority [gun owners] dictate to the rest of us?" That's a paraphrasal but it shows what we're in for. We are, actually and in terms of numbers, a minority. And as you know "democracy" is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner."

Are you convinced that "she" is the one? I'm hoping like crazy you are mistaken. You seem to have a real brain, and to be able to use it well, from what I see you posting here and there, so I don't WANT to have you be wrong about stuff, but please, not this. Even her closest competitor would be better, that ancient gent. 

Please, tell me we still have a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I seem to be attracting the newbie crowd...everyone else is sick and tired of me :)

Barring some personal tragedy Hillary's coronation will be the saddest day of my life up to that point. Reality has nothing to do with what I want or you want. I hope I'm way wrong but she will murder Trump for reasons I've already given. 350 to 400 electoral votes for Fat Legs. We'll win all the backwaters, we'll brag about how many counties we've won and lament "if only for the women's vote." I agree that women should not be allowed to vote but they do and that's that.

• Like 1

I think we are screwed anyway, 3 of 4 of our candidate's are for at the very least an assault weapons ban no matter what they say today!

Are you kidding Trump is equally clueless so make that 4/4. When he was asked if he actually carried (he has a NYC permit, evidently) he said "sometimes -- I like to keep them off guard." Sometimes indeed.

You're doing the right thing IMO. That's pretty much my plan as well.

Being a fatalist is very easy these days. I have been following the disintegration of our country for about 50 years. Things happened slowly at first. Now they're spinning out of control. Just look at the last 15 years.

The bright side is if you're a gloom-and-doomer like me you're rarely disappointed, and you're right more often than people give you credit for.

Understood.  I've been frustrated as hell at various times.

I think the last 7 years have been by far the worst.  There was a time when we knew at least one party was on our side.  Now, we have republicans like Boehner, McConnell, McCain and Graham who really are democrats.  They make it much harder to fight since they will lie to American public about what they're going to do, or not do.  Which is why they all have to go.

We also have to undo the fact that the act of making law has been delegated to the Executive Branch bureaucracies.  Primarily the EPA.  That's an immediate problem that can be fixed sooner rather than later.

But two other things have to be fixed as well.  The illegal immigration problem must be solved and the culture in the education system has to change.  Those two things feed to machine that is killing the United States of America.

The attack on our freedom began with FDR.  And it hasn't stopped since.  We need the gov't out of our lives. It's going to take a hell of an effort and probably a decent amount of time.

If it fails... some harder choices are ahead.

but for now.... I want my damn carry permit and to not be arrested and have my life ruined because of some BS law written by a pack of Marxists.

Well said, brother.  

I think it's important to read this sentence closely to understand that Newtonian is not a bad guy, just a chronic pessimist, as I explained to someone on here recently.  There's something to be said for happy living through low expectations.

Just slightly off topic, I believe it's important to keep in mind that being prepared is not necessarily a matter of being ready for the zombie apocalypse,

as I patiently explain to my wife.  It's being able to sustain oneself and family in the event of an emergency, which could quite likely involve interruption of food and water supplies, and some accompanying social chaos.  

Just slightly off topic, I believe it's important to keep in mind that being prepared is not necessarily a matter of being ready for the zombie apocalypse,

as I patiently explain to my wife.  It's being able to sustain oneself and family in the event of an emergency, which could quite likely involve interruption of food and water supplies, and some accompanying social chaos.  

I think the zombie apocalypse is a euphemism for social unrest and how people would behave.  Look at The Walking Dead, an actual show about a zombie apocalypse, and most of it is about the social unrest.  Granted, caused by the zombies but it could have been anything.  What if the power grid is hacked, etc?  How would people react without all of the creature comforts provided by electricity and the internet?

As I've written before gun rights have been the only positive development during the last three decades. Free speech is on its way out. We're tracking closely with Europe with regard to overly broad prohibitions on "offensive" speech, writing, and even beliefs. The Supreme Court has gutted the 4th amendment (searches). We have secret, extra-legal courts to deal with "terrorism" and that answer to no-one. Dennis Hastert was convicted not of molesting children but of "layering" savings withdrawals. Hell, I got a letter last year from my bank, citing some strange law, because I was using my ATM too frequently.

Good article on how we've abandoned constitutional government: http://bit.ly/1rtcqm9

Have you heard a single presidential candidate this past year talk about smaller government and lowering taxes? Those have become dead-letter issues.

Comedians won't go near college campuses for fear of being black listed for "offensive" jokes. We've become infatuated with providing wedding cakes for lesbians and transgender bathroom "rights." Our entire civil discourse is dominated by myths -- Black Lives Matter being only one example. Our children are brainwashed from grammar school. Our universities are hotbeds of loony left wing propaganda. 

Given this climate, and the in-pouring of foreigners with no concept of liberty, I do not believe the Second Amendment will survive much longer. Our next president recently gave a speech for gun control in which she asked, "how can we let a small minority [gun owners] dictate to the rest of us?" That's a paraphrasal but it shows what we're in for. We are, actually and in terms of numbers, a minority. And as you know "democracy" is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

Forum contributors living in gun-friendly states keep saying "it can't happen here." I would have said the same about the various left-wing pathologies that have overcome us. But dammit it's happened. Guns are next.

If I could like this a thousand times....

Certain countries in Europe have been ARRESTING people for speaking out against Muslim extremism.  I am 22 years old, and the overwhelming majority of kids my age are raging liberals who have no concept of free speech or libertarian ideals.  If I say anything that is too far from their comfort zones, many of the things you mentioned, I am scoffed and assaulted like I am some fool.  People are so clueless and just eat up what is fed to them from the liberal media, liberal educational institutions.  Offending someone's feelings is now a crime, having a differing opinion is now a crime.

• Like 2

Well said, brother.  

I think it's important to read this sentence closely to understand that Newtonian is not a bad guy, just a chronic pessimist, as I explained to someone on here recently.  There's something to be said for happy living through low expectations.

We should be prepared in direct proportion to the likelihood and severity of an event. Likelihood x severity = risk. Storing a week or tow worth of food is smart. Not buying your kid a piano because you're broke from spending $7,000 on iodine pills or preparing for an EMP attack or zombie apocalypse is, well, kind of dumb.

My post was in response to what seemed to me like a fatalistic, defeatist attitude or view.

Fatalism is the belief that things will inevitably go south, that they are pre-ordained. Defeatism, according to the dictionary, is nearly the same thing, but in my belief system neither one is justification for giving up or not battling. 

Fatalism is the belief that things will inevitably go south, that they are pre-ordained. Defeatism, according to the dictionary, is nearly the same thing, but in my belief system neither one is justification for giving up or not battling. 

I look at it this way. In 5,000 years of recorded human history, there has never been an 'empire' that lasted.

We won't be any different. It's just a matter of when. And of course, how.

Certain countries in Europe have been ARRESTING people for speaking out against Muslim extremism.  I am 22 years old, and the overwhelming majority of kids my age are raging liberals who have no concept of free speech or libertarian ideals.  If I say anything that is too far from their comfort zones, many of the things you mentioned, I am scoffed and assaulted like I am some fool.  People are so clueless and just eat up what is fed to them from the liberal media, liberal educational institutions.  Offending someone's feelings is now a crime, having a differing opinion is now a crime.

You're a smart young man and very well informed. All the best.

Certain countries in Europe have been ARRESTING people for speaking out against Muslim extremism. I am 22 years old, and the overwhelming majority of kids my age are raging liberals who have no concept of free speech or libertarian ideals. If I say anything that is too far from their comfort zones, many of the things you mentioned, I am scoffed and assaulted like I am some fool. People are so clueless and just eat up what is fed to them from the liberal media, liberal educational institutions. Offending someone's feelings is now a crime, having a differing opinion is now a crime.

1. You need new friends.

2. Just because people react with shock and horror when you disagree with them and voice your opinion doesn't mean you've actually done anything shocking or horrific. You've committed no crime. They aren't being forced to listen.

I'm not aware of people being arrested in mass for speaking their mind or voicing their opinions. People may call you names (bigot, racists,ammo sexual, etc) but that generally means they don't have an intelligent response to what you just said.

Keep up the good work kid but cut down a little on the hyperbole.

Are you kidding Trump is equally clueless so make that 4/4. When he was asked if he actually carried (he has a NYC permit, evidently) he said "sometimes -- I like to keep them off guard." Sometimes indeed.

I was including tRump, he's nothing more than a LeftWing NY Liberal who was buds with BooBberg during his gun grabbing days.

My holdout was Cruz but it's not looking good for him today.

I seem to be attracting the newbie crowd...everyone else is sick and tired of me :)

Barring some personal tragedy Hillary's coronation will be the saddest day of my life up to that point. Reality has nothing to do with what I want or you want. I hope I'm way wrong but she will murder Trump for reasons I've already given. 350 to 400 electoral votes for Fat Legs. We'll win all the backwaters, we'll brag about how many counties we've won and lament "if only for the women's vote." I agree that women should not be allowed to vote but they do and that's that.

Newtonian:

You certainly have a flourish of blogging energy today.... good to hear from you.

Now I have to believe that you are kidding or at the very least, exaggerating in your statement about women and the vote.

We all know that there are as many ignorant, uninformed, intellectually lazy American men as there are American women of voting age.

Donald Trump only has himself to blame for turning off what has been estimated to be anywhere from 60% to 75%+ of all American women who are expected to vote in this fall's general election. Only time will tell if this dramatic majority of women will not vote for Donald Trump, but at this point I believe that will probably be the case.

I know that my wife is more intelligent, better educated, more tolerant and an all-around better person than I am. We have had very interesting, challenging and sometimes combative discussions on all topics, including this bizarre and unprecedented Presidential election soap opera, starting in the spring of 2015. I know she is not alone in her mental abilities compared with many other women that we both know, yet may possibly be in the minority of all American women, but who really knows....?

But, most importantly, I would never deny her or other American women their hard earned right to vote.

AVB-AMG

1. You need new friends.

2. Just because people react with shock and horror when you disagree with them and voice your opinion doesn't mean you've actually done anything shocking or horrific. You've committed no crime. They aren't being forced to listen.

I'm not aware of people being arrested in mass for speaking their mind or voicing their opinions. People may call you names (bigot, racists,ammo sexual, etc) but that generally means they don't have an imtelligent response to what you just said.

Keep up the good work kid but cut down a little on the hyperbole.

My kids are 26, 24, and 20. I know their friends. What he says about that generation is true. They're brainwashed. And it's my generation's fault, sadly.

As far as Europe goes, do you know a German comedian is being prosecuted for insulting the prime minister of...Turkey in one of his acts? And that most European countries have laws against insulting any leader, foreign or domestic? That Englishmen who post even the mildest criticism of Islam or his country's policies regarding immigration are greeted by the police at their front door, or arrested? 

Our country is a bit better. Anti first amendment policy as law is in its embryonic stage. The founder of Mozilla lost his position for donating to an organization that promoted traditional marriage. Professors and students are harassed, expelled, or brought up on charges at major universities for speaking their minds.

And this little tidbit: http://bit.ly/1rSzewc . Long article but to summarize: Three attorneys general answering the call to prosecute companies that don't fall for the global warming hoax. Numerous prominent individuals have proposed jailing or arresting climate "deniers."

It's all very real and very sad. I repeat: if current gun laws (outside the evil three of NJ, DE, and HI) are your only measure of how fucked up this country is, you need to look deeper.

• Like 1

england-silverware.jpg

Jeez, my kid would be like "I just wanted to buy Mom some new dinnerware and they turned me into an evil thinking criminal without me doing anything."  It's like an _implanting_ of bad thoughts into the minds of kids. Thinking everyone's a damn criminal. It's a guilty until proven innocent mentality.

Newtonian:

You certainly have a flourish of blogging energy today....  good to hear from you.

Now I have to believe that you are kidding or at the very least, exaggerating in your statement about women and the vote.

We all know that there as am many ignorant, uninformed, intellectually laze American men as there are American women of voting age.

Donald Trump only has himself to blame for turning off what has been estimated to be anywhere from 605 to 75%+ of all American women who are expected to vote in this fall's general election.  Only time will tell if this dramatic majority of women will not vote for Donald Trump, but at this point I believe that will probably be the case.

I know that my wife is more intelligent, better educated, more tolerant and an all-around better person than I am.  We have had very interesting, challenging and sometimes combative discussions on all topics, including this bizarre and unprecedented Presidential election soap opera, starting in the spring of 2015.  I know she is not alone in her mental abilities compared with many other women that we both know, yet may possibly be in the minority of all American women, but who really knows....?  

But, most importantly, I would never deny her or other American women their hard earned right to vote.

AVB-AMG

I meant what I wrote, sortof. 

Ethically, morally, politically, legally, women of course deserve the right to vote. Practically speaking we'd be much better off if they didn't. Women's votes have done more to f**k up this country than anything else I can think of. 

Hillary will win because of the women's vote. Obama won because of the women's vote. Were it not for a whole lot of men finding their testicles (to the tune of a 20-point differential) Al Gore aka "Mr. Moonbeam" would have been elected in 2000. Women and their caring, sensitive mushy thinking are the fertile ground for all ideas silly, weird, and detrimental to our freedoms. Women overwhelmingly fall for every bullshit liberal idea you can think of, and eventually a good number convert their husbands to their pussified ways. I know five couples this has happened to. "You wanna get laid, let me ramble on about free day care."

The democratic party would be a footnote of history, and the Republicans might just show some balls, if women were denied the vote.

Unfortunately woman's suffrage is here to stay.  Think of this post as my own version of "bugging out," a complete fantasy. 

Disclaimer: I have been happily married to the same liberal tree-hugging whale-saving "I don't like red meat" woman for 31 years. She has her diluted chicken broth and I have my steak. We don't fight except for when she catches me shit-canning solicitations from "Free the Unwashed Starving Louse-Ridden Somali Children."

• Like 1

Stick to your guns young man. They are wrong. You are right. Period.

• Like 1

Hint?

The hint should come from you...I've no idea how you come up with some of this stuff.    One would expect extraordinary evidence to back up such an absurd claim, but I found your arguments uncompelling and not particularly accurate.  In particular, of the three specific examples you cited to back your position, two haven't happened (a Gore presidency, and a H. Clinton presidency).

The hint should come from you...I've no idea how you come up with some of this stuff.    One would expect extraordinary evidence to back up such an absurd claim, but I found your arguments uncompelling and not particularly accurate.  In particular, of the three specific examples you cited to back your position, two haven't happened (a Gore presidency, and a H. Clinton presidency).

It's very simple. 52% of women identify or "lean toward" democrat, 36% lean toward Republican. Among men it's 44%, 43% respectively. This data is from a Pew survey: http://pewrsr.ch/1rlqo9a. 

According to a Gallup poll the gender gap in the 2012 election was 20 points in favor of Obama. In other words the democrats won among women 56% to 44%, while O'b lost the men's vote 54 to 46%. You add the differences and come up with 20 points. The numbers from the last few elections are no more encouraging. The pro-democrat gap -- difference between women and men -- was 14% in 2008, 16% in 2004, 15% in 2000, 14% in 1996, and just 4% in 1992.

Here's the data: http://bit.ly/1rlpMjO. 

Moreover 54% of women identify as liberals, and 46% of men: http://bit.ly/1rltSZq

This is "where come up with this stuff." 

Statistics aside, do you know any women? Ever talk to them about politics? 

I feel very safe and sane arguing that during the last 24 years women have chosen the less attractive candidate in every presidential election. Given the sex identity factor this year, I expect we will break all gender gap records. There's no reason to expect they won't massively vote for a democrat woman with fat legs this time.

Are you good with that? 

• Like 1

Yup and the tRump is talking Christie and Guilliani for some cabinet positions. Just can't get anti-gun enough could he! I see another buying frenzy coming. Along with his support for an assault weapons ban, oh well!