gabonk

DIY build with DIY pin and weld?

Sorry, it's defacto. I wasn't clear with that. The only way to have a barrel without threads is if something is permantently attached to it. Correct, NJ doesn't define permanent, which is why you need to prove what ever is attached can't be removed, or will destroy the threads if attempted.

If it's pinned only or pinned and welded, either way it won't destroy the threads if removed

If it's pinned only or pinned and welded, either way it won't destroy the threads if removed

If you physically cut the break off or remove the pin.. But if you crank the muzzle break off without doing anything you will Mar the threads to the point nothing will thread on.

...seriously???

Absolutely. You would have never known by looking at it. The barrel was drilled using a drill press, and the pin was pressed in, slightly recessed, and just needed a quick tack. I've been welding for years, but I only had my stick welder accessible, which I'm fairly proficient in, and a 3 gun shoot the next day that I wanted to use the rifle in. The barrel was wrapped in foil to protect from weld spatter. A small hole was cut in the foil to access the pin. I cleaned up the minimal slag, and smoothed flush with a dremel, and finished with a beechwood Casey super black pen.

Ettt! Incorrect. Needs to be pinned and welded, welded about half around or silver soldered.

If leaving the muzzle device off would leave you with an SBR, yes. NJ law does not specify what does and does not count as permanent. People say NJSP are cool with blind pins. ME, I pin and weld. I don't like the idea of having to appeal to the judgment of the people trying to prosecute me to prove they are wrong in prosecuting me.